Author Topic: Need to order another smoker for the ranch.  (Read 746 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Need to order another smoker for the ranch.
« Reply #-1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:12:58 PM »
I have an appointment with the VA here in San Antonio next week to look at my right hip to determine when I will require a total hip replacement. It really does not bother me the way the other hip did, but there is strong deterioration and only a matter of time when I will have a bone on bone condition as I did with the left hip. So, hopefully, they will forecast a date when I have to be back for a serious review including a decision.

After this visit, I will return to New Mexico and spend my summer on the ranch. At this time, the only cooker that I have on the ranch is a gas grill and the very large Yoder Wood Smoker. For my individual use, the large smoker is not practical. However, we provide the use of this Smoker to the communities in the area for large get togethers. It is also used for get togethers on the ranch where we can take a side of beef and just cut this up into butchered segments and have someone manage the cooking. Therefore, it becomes a business tax deduction and a donation at the same time.

This year we intend to put a 1000 acres into hay production, because hay is now at extraordinary highs. We have contracts from companies in Florida and Texas who will send their own flatbeds and deliver the product back to their facilities. The drought in this country has forced horse breeders and cattle companies to seek first dibs on hay. The retail price for a bale of hay in Ocala, Florida right now is $23.00 a bale. Right now, our 1st harvest is completely sold out and our second harvest in late September is 80 per cent committed. As soon as winter approaches, it will be all gone. In addition, we will be employing more hands.

And, I need some of the bales to feed my animals all winter long. In addition, I feed the elk herd and the mule deer herd and the wild horses that come down from the mountains during the winter and graze on my property.

So, I like to smoke some nice grub just for the wife and I. I thought about a Komoda type product and looked seriously at the Vision Grills offering. Or, I am considering another Wood Smoker like the Yoder Cheyenne or the Wichita. Leaning towards the Yoder Wichita this time with everything on it.

Any thoughts?

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Need to order another smoker for the ranch.
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:10:47 PM »
I can't believe I am saying it, but with the amount of stick burning firepower you already have... what about something a little less labor intensive like a gravity fed vertical?
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 09:57:57 PM »
Wow, with all you have going on with farming where do you find the time to cook/smoke.
By the way I do like the  Komoda type product, as there a lot of knock offs coming on the market that will do the same thing at a cheaper price.

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 10:15:38 PM »

Perhaps a Backwoods Chubby/Party, or a MAK 1 Star?

All proudly made in the USA!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:41:07 PM »
I might take a different approach to this equation, Ed. If you want ONE cooker - and as much versatility as you can get in one neat package..........something like these perhaps?

http://www.vidaliagrill.com/products/index.php
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 08:26:11 AM »
I think the Yoder Cheyenne would do you nicely at the Ranch.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:57:58 AM »
I say get another Yoder. It is what you already know works good for you and love to use.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven