Author Topic: How can this be?  (Read 674 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
How can this be?
« Reply #-1 on: March 21, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
We have a 2007 Jeep Liberty that we purchased new and it now has 60,000 miles on it. It is really just broken in. When my wife drives this vehicle, she averages overall 16 mpg for that tank of fuel and she is the exclusive driver. When I drive this vehicle and I am the exclusive driver for that tank of fuel, I get 21 mpg overall mileage for that tank of fuel. This includes about the same for city and highway driving.

When we are on the Ranch, I drive a 1999 Dodge Cumins diesel with 186000 miles on it and she drives a gas 2012 Range Rover with 15000 miles on it. I get 20 to 21 mpg and she gets 17 overall mpg on the average per tank.

How can this be?

Would someone explain this to me so I can show my wife?

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: How can this be?
« on: March 21, 2014, 12:35:31 PM »
We have a 2007 Jeep Liberty that we purchased new and it now has 60,000 miles on it. It is really just broken in. When my wife drives this vehicle, she averages overall 16 mpg for that tank of fuel and she is the exclusive driver. When I drive this vehicle and I am the exclusive driver for that tank of fuel, I get 21 mpg overall mileage for that tank of fuel. This includes about the same for city and highway driving.

When we are on the Ranch, I drive a 1999 Dodge Cumins diesel with 186000 miles on it and she drives a gas 2012 Range Rover with 15000 miles on it. I get 20 to 21 mpg and she gets 17 overall mpg on the average per tank.

How can this be?

Ed
Do you drive real slow?   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 12:38:15 PM »
Driving habits. Does she punch the accelerator and brake abruptly on her approach to a traffic signal?

I see so many people race away from me at a green light only to see them at the next red light. They got one car length ahead of me and burned more gas.

Sounds like you have more relaxed driving habits than your wife ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 12:38:28 PM »
You could attribute it to "driving style" but I have not seen that much of a disparity between drivers.. And by driving style I mean how you accellerate, brake, etc...

I'll assume that the A/C gets used the same amount with each driver, and that one of you is not a "two footed" driver that rides the brake, etc...

Does the vehicle have and "overdrive off" or "tow/haul" switch? that turns off the overdrive and can reduce mileage... also assuming everyone drives in "D"

I'm not trying to be insulting at all, I'm just offering ideas...

I have a "scancode II" device that plugs into the OBD port, and it shows real time fuel economy as well as a bunch of other information that the guages don't show. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was not significant. We use it for the Motorhome and to read "check engine" light codes on the other vehicles we have.

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 01:10:17 PM »
Not sure of the driving habits of you or your wife.  I can say from experience that my Ex-wife had her foot on the brake and the right foot on the accelerator and it was petal to the metal and brake to the floor.  Not only did she get bad mileage we had to replace the brakes long before they should have been replaced. 

Just sayin.......driving habits may have something to do with it.   ???

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 02:30:10 PM »
Man you got racing driver wife , well done to her .

Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 02:40:47 PM »
It's driving habits.  We have same thing here at my house.    My wife drives faster than I do. Also having a seady foot is important.  If you speed up let go off gas slow back down some then hit the gas again, and so on.   It eats up some gas and fast.   
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 03:49:05 PM »
Something similar happens between my wife's driving and mine, although I don't have as many statistics as you have.  What I have noticed is that my wife loves to get up to speed very quickly and the car revs and shifts hard to get her there.  Also she drives as fast as she thinks she can get by with on the highway.  I keep it to a max of 5 mph over the limit (and watch a lot of people pass me).  When stopped for anything other than a stoplight, I turn the engine off.  She idles it to keep AC or heater or radio going.  All told, these things add up. 

I'll get about 29-30 mpg.  She'll get 21-24 mpg. 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 04:02:30 PM »
Maybe you need to take her to Daytoa or Talladega and let her learn the art of drafting from the pros.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 04:06:24 PM »
All my ex's had heavy foots, thats why they are gone and i'm still here  ;D

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 04:25:58 PM »
Agree on driving habits.  Are they standard or automatic?
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 04:40:51 PM »

How can this be?

Ed

Show her what???

Did SHE ask for an explanation or are going to volunteer one.  Two choices to make, sir..choose wisely.

just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 05:09:44 PM »

I can't believe you can afford to retire ???
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 05:27:51 PM »

I can't believe you can afford to retire ???

LOL don't worry about that my friend, the only one I need to support is my son and I have joint custody. So when I am retired I plan on extending my time with him 50/50 instead of 30/70. He is almost at the age where he could decide where he wants to live full time and he has hinted he wants to be out in the country and away from the bulcrap of city living. He see's all the kids getting into gangs and wants no part of it. He's a pretty smart kid.  ;)