Author Topic: BBQ Judge Certification Question  (Read 708 times)

Offline MoHuka

BBQ Judge Certification Question
« Reply #-1 on: March 22, 2014, 07:34:17 AM »
I have been trying to find a KCBS judge training/certification class and when I do I am usually out of the country.
I just found a class for MBQI (Midwest Barbeque Institute) for judge training and certification.  Does anyone know what
the difference is and should I hold out for a KCBS class?

Thanks as always for your guidance
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: BBQ Judge Certification Question
« on: March 22, 2014, 08:07:48 AM »
KCBS is "THE" certification that is recognized everywhere as a quality program. There are a lot of others out there - such as MBN ( Memphis BBQ Network) which has as it's crown Jewel - the Memphis in May competition)

Look at the large comps across the country. You will find that KCBS  - and its regulations arethe standard for judging in most of them.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
contests
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 10:04:17 AM »
I'm sure Hub will be along soon, but I will try to answer.  Go to the KCBS website and look for the training sessions.  They are usually quite a few a choose from around the country.  If you want to judge in a KCBS event, you will need their certification.  Any other non-KCBS BBQ contests you need to check with them on their certification requirements.

Art
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 10:06:26 AM by ACW3 »
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline MoHuka

Re: contests
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 10:49:11 AM »
I'm sure Hub will be along soon, but I will try to answer.  Go to the KCBS website and look for the training sessions.  They are usually quite a few a choose from around the country.  If you want to judge in a KCBS event, you will need their certification.  Any other non-KCBS BBQ contests you need to check with them on their certification requirements.

Art

Art, That is exactly what I did which makes me wonder if the MBQI is recognized b KCBS.  I'm really only interested in getting the training to evaluate my own cooks but would be fun to judge in an organized event if the opportunity ever came along
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
KCBS CBJ
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »
MiM and KCBS are two different organizations with different rules and regulations.

If you want to judge many competitions, KCBS is the way to go. They are the largest sanctioning body and approve a lot of competitions. MiM and FBA are much smaller and won't give you the same opportunities.

Just my .02 worth as a KCBS judge and table captain.

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 08:20:24 PM »
KCBS only recognizes their certification for their competitions except where the contest allows "celebrity" judges. Then they give the "celebrity" judges a crash course on judging right before the contest.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 04:37:49 PM »
I'm a little late to the conversation and I think it's all been pretty well said.

KCBS has the most thorough judge curriculum with MBN probably second by a ways.  There are a few other sanctioning bodies but they don't have very many contests.  KCBS has hundreds running almost all the time with the bulk running all Saturdays from April through October.

Judging is an interesting, consuming avocation if you get into it.  Really good judges are always needed and appreciated by contest organizers.  I view judging very much like a "practice" similar to one approaching law, medicine or consulting.  You'll never get it perfect but the challenge is extremely satisfying and rewarding for those who apply themselves to it.

I cook and judge and love both.  Saying that the two efforts compliment each other is an understatement.  Keep trying to find a class that fits your schedule.  Also, check the schedule on the website (kcbs.us) often because new classes pop up from time to time.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 05:56:34 PM »
That's cool you are interested in pursuing being Certificated in BBQ judging Greg.

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 07:32:42 PM »
That would be the tastiest job in the world.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline MoHuka

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 11:04:25 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the guidance.  I have found a KCBS class near my home next month which works out great as I expect to be home...Greg
KCBS CBJ
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
ANOVA Sous Vide