Author Topic: Just made an Engineering Change to the Yoder Pellet Smoker  (Read 339 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Just made an Engineering Change to the Yoder Pellet Smoker
« Reply #-1 on: March 25, 2014, 02:24:24 PM »
A couple of months ago, I received an envelope from Yoder which had inside the parts for an engineering change to my model. I also found out that there was one for the 640 as well. I did not know that this change was coming; I did not ask for this change; but, it showed up in the mail box on companies own volition. It was some kind of change which added a fan diffuser to one of the two fans inside the control unit.

Because today is relatively nice, 63 degrees and 19 mph winds, I went outside and with the dog's help, I installed this change. I do not understand the rational or the dynamics of this change, but I do see the results. The biggest impact was in reaching 350 degrees temperature inside the unit within 20 minutes especially when it is 63 degrees and 19 mph winds. The second result is that it is using less pellets. Since I had the hopper full, it hardly made a noticeable decline after one hour of operation. I will have to try and measure this again and provide some verification for myself.

If you are a Yoder owner, and you have not received this change, you may want to give them a call. I am anxious to see how this change performs when the temperature is in the 80's and 90's and the wind is significantly lower.
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
I went thru a few of those "engineering updates" when I had a Yoder too Ed.  Many software and some hardware issues. I just got tired of being "experimented on".
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401