Author Topic: I went on a BBQ road trip  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
I went on a BBQ road trip
« Reply #-1 on: March 29, 2014, 10:23:07 PM »
I had never been to Texas and I wanted to eat some Texas barbecue so I said to my Honey, “Honey, let’s go to Texas.”  She said, “Okay.”  That was way too easy. 
Living in Maine I didn’t know what good brisket tasted like and reading Daniel Vaughn’s "Phophets of Smoked Meat" just made me want to get there quicker to find out.  It was easy to justify; you can’t make good brisket if you don’t know how it is supposed to taste.  So we went on a BBQ Pilgrimage.
We had other places on the bucket list so it wasn’t a very direct route to Texas, and in fact, we are still traveling.  But I have now been to Texas and I have eaten some of the most awesome barbecue I expect I will ever eat in my life.  Actually, every ‘cue meal has been outstanding, but I tried to pick places with great reputations to increase my odds.
I have a gallery going for the folks back home in the snow so I’m linking you to that gallery so I don’t have to reload all the photos and descriptions.  Please remember that this was set up for family only.

First stop – Deep Run Roadhouse
This place is at the end of a strip mall outside Richmond, VA where we were staying.  I found it using Tripadvisor and it had great reviews for providing outstanding Texas style barbecue.  Well, you’ve got to eat so let’s get this thing started.  The reviews did it justice.  If you eat here don’t miss the jalapeno mac and cheese!
*Edit* I believe this was the best overall meal of all the restaurants.

http://www.deansmiley.com/gallery3/index.php/2014-BBQ-Pilgrimage/Deep-Run-Roadhouse

Next stop – The Joint
This was another Tripadvisor find.  We had 3 nights in New Orleans and this place rated highly.  We left here very happy.  I’m not sure it meets the Krewe du Smoke’s standards but it certainly met mine.

http://www.deansmiley.com/gallery3/index.php/2014-BBQ-Pilgrimage/The-Joint

Into Texas – Killen’s BBQ
Thanks to CaptJack, y’all know about Killens.  But did you know they smoke brisket at 225° for 14 hrs. with a post oak and pecan mix?

http://www.deansmiley.com/gallery3/index.php/2014-BBQ-Pilgrimage/Killen-s-BBQ

Next up – Black’s Barbecue
There are choices to be made when in Lockhart.  I am not sorry about this one.  We chatted with a worker while we ate and he said Black’s is opening a new location in San Marcos in a month (training people now) and another one in Austin in a year.  Everything there is done with post oak.

http://www.deansmiley.com/gallery3/index.php/2014-BBQ-Pilgrimage/Black-s-BBQ

Franklin Barbecue
What can I say?

http://www.deansmiley.com/gallery3/index.php/2014-BBQ-Pilgrimage/Franklin-Barbecue

Louie Mueller Barbecue
This was Plan B.  It should have been Plan A.  This was not a competition but from my perspective, this was the best overall meal.  The brisket bark just blew me away.  I have never tasted any bark this good;  I will be trying 9 parts pepper and 1 part salt.

http://www.deansmiley.com/gallery3/index.php/2014-BBQ-Pilgrimage/Louie-Mueller-Barbecue

My only disappointment was that I didn’t get to have barbacoa.  We got to San Antonio for one day but it was raining buckets so we headed north.  Maybe another time.

Thanks for looking.

Dean
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 07:04:10 AM by Wingman »
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: I went on a BBQ road trip
« on: March 29, 2014, 10:26:52 PM »
Thanks for the great TR sounds like a great trip.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »
Sounds like a great trip Wingman!

Tell us honestly which BBBQ was your favorite. And - if you want to categorize it by kind of meat, that would be great too.  I know they are all great -  - but what stuck out in your mind as the best?
Thanks
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 10:57:09 PM »
You hit some of the best in Texas for sure, glad you had a good time in Texas, sorry you didn't get your Barbacoa fix. Just means you'll have to plan a follow up trip.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 01:00:35 AM »
Sounds great, and +1 for Louie Mueller being the best in the area.  Line or no line, I would rather go there than Franklin.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 02:57:44 AM »
thank for taking us along on your road trip .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 06:43:46 AM »
That looked like a fun trip. Great photos of each location!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »
Sounds like a great trip so far!

Thanks for sharing!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 11:04:46 AM »
Great pictures, Thanks for sharing.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 12:24:36 PM »
Great pictures, Thanks for sharing.

Times Two ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 02:54:46 PM »
Geez Dean,good stuff! When son married her relatives from Texas made brisket,never had before,and has to be one of best meals I ever ate,Texans can cook!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 06:23:02 PM »
Sounds like a great trip Wingman!

Tell us honestly which BBBQ was your favorite. And - if you want to categorize it by kind of meat, that would be great too.  I know they are all great -  - but what stuck out in your mind as the best?
Thanks
T

The food part has made it the best trip ever.  I doubt that I can top that.  At the end of today we had been 5300 miles, 21 states in 21 days.  We are currently in Moore, OK so we've got at least 2000 more to go.  That's lots of opportunity!

So, the difference in the brisket was minimal; they were all excellent, but I would give this one to Louie Mueller’s because of the bark.  The Deep Run Roadhouse had the best sausage, it was no contest.  Mueller’s was second.  The best ribs belonged to The Joint; they were succulent.  And of course, the best meat I didn’t eat goes to Franklins.

I initially thought that Louie Mueller’s had the best overall meal.  But I had to reread my reviews to answer your post and I now believe Deep Run Roadhouse had the best overall meal.  The sides were better than all the other places plus they gave me 4 over-the-top burnt ends.  Mueller’s gave me one and the others gave me none.  I gave my wife 2 of those burnt ends and after eating them she wanted to know why they don’t offer burnt ends as a meal.
If you’re near Richmond (actually Henrico) you should find the Deep Run Roadhouse.  You won’t be disappointed.  Our meal was $35 w/tip.

Geez Dean,good stuff! When son married her relatives from Texas made brisket,never had before,and has to be one of best meals I ever ate,Texans can cook!
I know how you feel, spuds.  If you want smoked brisket in Maine you'll be making it yourself... if you can find a brisket.

Dean
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline Pappymn

I went on a BBQ road trip
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 06:49:20 PM »
Wow! Heck of a trip. Bring on the elastic waist pants ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 06:57:43 PM »
You obviously had and are having a fabulous trip, wonderful food and experiences.  Thanks for sharing and wonderful pic's.  Yep, Texans can cook good.
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 07:06:49 PM »
Wow! Heck of a trip. Bring on the elastic waist pants ;D

Got them on.