Author Topic: I went on a BBQ road trip  (Read 3598 times)

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
Re: I went on a BBQ road trip
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 08:03:08 PM »
Wingman, glad you're having a good trip. Great documentation on the bbq joints and great pictures. I was trying to pull up a post about a bbq road trip I made to Franklin's a few months ago but couldn't find it. Maybe someone that likes searching more than I do will find it and repost it.  In that post I had the same experience as you. When we arrived at Franklin's, the girl came out and said it was 2 and a half to 3 hours to get served. We bailed on that and went to Louie Mueller's in Taylor. I have eaten there probably a 100 times and love their bbq, but that day, I wasn't enamored with the taste of the Q. Both the brisket and the sausage had the same peculiar taste that wasn't pleasant. Everybody has a bad day once in a while and this was probably their day. I still hold them in high regards and anytime somebody says road trip to Mueller's, I will be the first on the bus. By the way, did you know that on that trip between Franklin's in Austin and Mueller's in Taylor, you passed right by a Salt Lick in Round Rock (not the original, but a branch office).

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 08:22:49 PM »
Wingman, glad you're having a good trip. Great documentation on the bbq joints and great pictures. I was trying to pull up a post about a bbq road trip I made to Franklin's a few months ago but couldn't find it. Maybe someone that likes searching more than I do will find it and repost it.  In that post I had the same experience as you. When we arrived at Franklin's, the girl came out and said it was 2 and a half to 3 hours to get served. We bailed on that and went to Louie Mueller's in Taylor. I have eaten there probably a 100 times and love their bbq, but that day, I wasn't enamored with the taste of the Q. Both the brisket and the sausage had the same peculiar taste that wasn't pleasant. Everybody has a bad day once in a while and this was probably their day. I still hold them in high regards and anytime somebody says road trip to Mueller's, I will be the first on the bus. By the way, did you know that on that trip between Franklin's in Austin and Mueller's in Taylor, you passed right by a Salt Lick in Round Rock (not the original, but a branch office).

No.  I did not know about Salt Lick.  I stayed in Round Rock.  Dayum!  I would have gone there had I known.

I agree on the odd off day.  I hate to rate these places on one experience.  I remember that I had a bad day once. ;)

"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 10:57:43 PM »
envious AND we live a hell of a lot closer than you do!

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
envious AND we live a hell of a lot closer than you do!

It's been a great trip so far...and worth it!  Just do it.

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 07:22:54 PM »
Wingman:  I see from you map that you went through Florida including the Keys.  Any interesting food joints down here that you would recommend?

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 07:36:41 PM »
The Joint is in the Bywater area of NOLA , by the water, about 1 mi from french quarter.
It's really good , I'd not planned on Krewe -de -Smoke  eating BBQ in NOLA ........BUT it's really good!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 08:51:49 PM »
Wingman:  I see from you map that you went through Florida including the Keys.  Any interesting food joints down here that you would recommend?

We really liked the food and service at Mrs. Macs in Key Largo. 

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 04:20:56 AM »
cuz,
I've been to Killens 4 times now
smokin' !
we need to go

I'm ready. Can't be soon enough. How about today?