Author Topic: Comments on this board  (Read 4750 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Comments on this board
« Reply #-1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:48:16 PM »
Whats your take on this board?

OK,Im just a NooB here,but I sure have a lot of things to say about your amazing board and commentators.

Ive never seen so many good food ideas presented daily.Almost all the recipes can be done by any level of cooking skill you might have,and so many great dishes I cant even cook them all,amazing.

Super pictorials,something that allows me to cook,step by step,and see exactly how it should be,how can I mess it up?

Ideas and skills Ive never imagined,presented in a form that allows me to do it from the no knowledge level,which is where Im at on many many subjects.

In just a few months I cant believe the knowledge Ive picked up,from friendly folks,no egomaniacs,none of the youre not welcome cliques,just friendly folks who share and take a lot of time to do so.Never been talked down to,even with stupid noob questions,cant tell you enough how refreshing that is.

Bottom line,best food board Ive ever had the honor to be part of and learn from.

Yeah,yeah,rather soapy,but really,just amazing.

Thank You,Spuds and family.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: Comments on this board
« on: April 06, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »
We have over 600 members now and there is a large amount that don't seem to want to get involved :(. I'm not sure what that is :-\

I totally agree with you that the members here are very supportive no matter what you cook. Us northern folks don't smoke much in the winter and cook inside more.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline spuds

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 02:01:56 PM »
You can bet the lurkers are getting a lot out of being here too.Maybe they dont post,some folks kinda shy?...but they are sharing in all thats said,a very good thing.

What I cant figure out is how the board got such good members and runs in such a friendly manner,thats some good management work,and good people.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline nylic76

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 02:12:36 PM »
[quote

I totally agree with you that the members here are very supportive no matter what you cook. Us northern folks don't smoke much in the winter and cook inside more.
[/quote)

No matter what you cook as long as it's not green peas or tilapia. :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:14:19 PM by nylic76 »
SRG
Big Easy
Weber Kettle
Traeger Junior
Broilmaster Gas & GrillGrates
12" A-MAZE-N Smoker Tube

Offline Pappymn

Comments on this board
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 02:13:02 PM »
Best board on the net! We even allow Canadians! ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 02:14:37 PM »
No doubt, this board is the most well rounded of the "BBQ" boards and has the greatest members I have ever come across.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »
I belonged to 4 or 5 different boards. This one just feels more like home to me. We have FORUM SPONSORS but they are not trying to push their product down your throats and I appreciate that. If you need help from one of them they are there right away. Other boards are set up to sell you something and you don't dare say something bad about their product or else the Smoker Gods will strike you dead.   ::) I have so many book marked pages of recipes I want to try from the fine folks here I do not think I will get to them all. Love the way the board is run from the people who put so much time into it.
Thanks To all that make this a great place to hang out.
Don

Offline spuds

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 02:45:06 PM »
I was sent here looking for BBQ,and found it encompassed all kinds of foods and that has really been helpful.The sausage section has blown my mind.

Hmmm...I kinda like talapia and swai. :D

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 02:47:18 PM »
Best forum in BBQ land, PERIOD! I belong to one other forum and have been a member of that one for a few
years.  This board outclasses that one in every respect.  As Spuds said, no egomaniacs, no one puts you down and
it makes you feel like you are in everyone's backyard cooking with them. That to me is what a board should be about. I
have also bookmarked dozens of recipes to try out. So many good cooks and just plain nice people hang out here. This
is home!

Mike
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 02:48:09 PM »
We have over 600 members now and there is a large amount that don't seem to want to get involved :(. I'm not sure what that is :-\

Drew that happens on many forums. You can have only a small percentage of members who are actually "active". They will look most of the time and may post a few times.

The stats on Facebook are the same. There are a huge majority of people who just read and lurk while there are power users that post every second of their lives. These users make up 20% to 30% of Facebook members.

No doubt, this board is the most well rounded of the "BBQ" boards and has the greatest members I have ever come across.

I totally agree! This is the only forum I am active in. I have met some great people here over the years.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 02:58:25 PM »
it makes you feel like you are in everyone's backyard cooking with them

Yes I agree it sure helps for this long winter up here in Canada. So if you southern guys see me sitting in a lawn chair please don't kick me out  ;D ;D ;D

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 03:26:48 PM »
it makes you feel like you are in everyone's backyard cooking with them

Yes I agree it sure helps for this long winter up here in Canada. So if you southern guys see me sitting in a lawn chair please don't kick me out  ;D ;D ;D

If it would work out maybe a winter "BBQ Crawl" for all the northern folks;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 04:37:34 PM »
You can bet the lurkers are getting a lot out of being here too.Maybe they dont post,some folks kinda shy?...but they are sharing in all thats said,a very good thing.

What I cant figure out is how the board got such good members and runs in such a friendly manner,thats some good management work,and good people.

We started LTBBQ - because of the bad attitudes, and issues that unfortunately have prevailed on many other forums. And to answer your question Spuds - the first 200 members were hand selected/invited as "known" individuals, that had demonstrated their great attitude, friendly, helpful nature, and oh...they could cook too! ;D The truth is - we were not interested at all in allowing anyone on LTBBQ that was a problem, trouble-maker, arrogant or otherwise un-friendly. Fame? We don't cater to the "famous" any differently than folks that have only cooked in their backyard. EVERY member is valued, and respected. Moderators here are just folks that want to help - not policemen.
And - as you know Spuds ;) we REALLY investigate who someone is - before they can join us. Not because we seek to exclude anyone that legitimately loves to cook...but to protect the "feel" of LTBBQ, and encouraging current members to invite more "good guys" from other forums.
With LTBBQ being "user driven" - you can expect that we will always strive to be honest in our help and advice - without being mean spirited, or disparaging to products or equipment.
ANd...with plenty of humor thrown in!...No charge! ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 04:54:54 PM »
Like others Spuds I used to follow/participate in about 6 forums ... now I'm down to 1¼  ;D  LTBBQ and another forum for pellet heads.  All forums have their pros and cons (many had their share of cons).

One reason this feels like home to many of us is because we have known each other, in many cases, for years on other forums.  I was privileged to be asked to join and do my best to contribute  :)  :)  I learn new recipes and things everyday which allows me to keep our menu options exciting  8)
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 06:07:06 PM »
...the first 200 members ... had demonstrated their great attitude, friendly, helpful nature, and oh...they could cook too! ... not interested at all in allowing anyone on LTBBQ that was a problem, trouble-maker, arrogant or otherwise un-friendly...  we REALLY investigate who someone is - before they can join us... without being mean spirited, or disparaging ...

... and I am PROUD to be the exception that proves all those rules. Glad to help out on so many levels - no thanks necessary.

OBTW tee, please put me down for one of them Krewe shirts (XXL) if they're still available.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion