Author Topic: I really enjoy irony  (Read 785 times)

Offline Pappymn

I really enjoy irony
« Reply #-1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:43:48 PM »
Only in America. Our Canadian buddies wouldn't even do this.....or would they?

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/04/07/video-nypd-fdny-charity-hockey-game-erupts-brawl
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Northshore

I really enjoy irony
« on: April 07, 2014, 07:45:15 PM »
Great example for our youth
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: I really enjoy irony
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 08:43:46 PM »
Played hockey for years (see my avatar)  Anytime you get guys together with sticks and glove something IS going to happen

Been in many fights with good friend on the ice but when we got of all was good.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:05:33 PM »
Happened up here to Pappy. Lately it's been parents at kids game, just plain silly :(

O-ya, Minnesota is up 1-0 on my Jets :(. Game ain't over yet ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 01:59:05 AM »
Something about ice skating brings out the worst behavior.  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 08:37:54 AM »
Played hockey for many years and got into many fights. It's a fast, hard and intense game and its easy to loose your cool. That being said everyone always makes up over a few beers after the game.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:47:10 AM »
Played hockey for many years and got into many fights. It's a fast, hard and intense game and its easy to loose your cool. That being said everyone always makes up over a few beers after the game.
If it wasn't it would be soccer  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ;)

Really, if you never played it's hard to understand the game and what it takes to play hard
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:36:02 AM »
At least they could try to keep their cool during a charity event and the fact they are "heroes" to the city :(
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 12:12:42 PM »

I'll skip the fights and meet up for a few beers after the game.   :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »
That one appeared to be extreme. 

I, too, played for many years.  Hockey's attraction is sustained high-speed action.  But people who haven't played or studied the game don't realize that we'll never be able to end the fighting.  The rules leave so much to referee interpretation that there will sometimes be chippiness that an enforcer will have to stop.

I most often played amateur rules (high school and college) and international rules so I had only a few fights and I was never very good at it.  In Junior A (NHL rules) and college, I had someone to keep me from being pummeled.  I would say, "That guy has been hitting me late all night" and the designated defensemen would tell him, "If you keep that up you're going to have to deal with me."  Sometimes it worked without escalating and sometimes my teammate had to "deal with it."

All Wayne Gretzky had to do was nod at someone and Dave Semenko would be on him like a terrier.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Pappymn

I really enjoy irony
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 04:26:02 PM »
That one appeared to be extreme. 

I, too, played for many years.  Hockey's attraction is sustained high-speed action.  But people who haven't played or studied the game don't realize that we'll never be able to end the fighting.  The rules leave so much to referee interpretation that there will sometimes be chippiness that an enforcer will have to stop.

I most often played amateur rules (high school and college) and international rules so I had only a few fights and I was never very good at it.  In Junior A (NHL rules) and college, I had someone to keep me from being pummeled.  I would say, "That guy has been hitting me late all night" and the designated defensemen would tell him, "If you keep that up you're going to have to deal with me."  Sometimes it worked without escalating and sometimes my teammate had to "deal with it."

All Wayne Gretzky had to do was nod at someone and Dave Semenko would be on him like a terrier.

We had the same thing on my beloved North Stars. Neal Broten was our Wayne Gretzky. Willie Plett was his muscle.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 05:08:02 PM »
Great video. A couple questions came to mind...
First - Do goalies have a mutual appreciation - was funny to watch them at center ice talking and watching the fight, or is there just to much gear involved to make fighting impractical?
Second - How do these guys know which helmet is theirs?
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 05:22:39 PM »
Great video. A couple questions came to mind...
First - Do goalies have a mutual appreciation - was funny to watch them at center ice talking and watching the fight, or is there just to much gear involved to make fighting impractical?
Second - How do these guys know which helmet is theirs?
David, most goalies don't fight, but if they do it would be with the other goalie.  Now seeing them at center ice means they were talking about how stupid this fight is, been there done that many times.

I spent a long time in net when I was growing up and even played up to a few years ago, nothing has changed.

If I even tried to  start something with the other team one of my guys would step in for me so I wouldn't be ejected from the game. They say goalies are not smart but I beg to differ :D :D :D :D :D   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 09:10:25 PM »
We had the same thing on my beloved North Stars. Neal Broten was our Wayne Gretzky. Willie Plett was his muscle.

I remember Neal Broten and Willi Plett well. 

Neal and Aaron; born and bread in Minnesota.  Crookston and Roseau both claim them.  Neal joined the Stars in about '80.  Willi didn't arrive until about a couple of years later.  I think Gary Sargent (Warroad High School—huge rivalry) protected him in his early Stars years.

Interestingly, Gary Sargent, Henry Boucha (best ever MN hockey player) and C. J. Oshie (of Sochi Winter Olympics shootout fame against Russia) are related.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:17:25 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Pappymn

I really enjoy irony
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 09:42:01 PM »

I remember Neal Broten and Willi Plett well. 

Neal and Aaron; born and bread in Minnesota.  Crookston and Roseau both claim them.  Neal joined the Stars in about '80.  Willi didn't arrive until about a couple of years later.  I think Gary Sargent (Warroad High School—huge rivalry) protected him in his early Stars years.

Interestingly, Gary Sargent, Henry Boucha (best ever MN hockey player) and C. J. Oshie (of Sochi Winter Olympics shootout fame against Russia) are related.

You are either a huge hockey fan or a Minnesota native. Never heard of Henry Boucha. Must be before my time. But you are right about Gary Sargent. I miss the North Stars.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109