Author Topic: I was promoted at work  (Read 4123 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: I was promoted at work
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 12:50:17 AM »
right on key.  that is so cool.  congrats partner.  way to go.  i'm thinking a big fat porterhouse on the grill should work.  this weekend partner.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 03:15:04 AM »
That's some great news. Congrats!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 03:57:50 AM »
Congrats key!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 06:55:42 AM »
Outstanding news!!  Congrats!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 06:57:27 AM »
Aaron......I love it when someone deserving is recognized for their achievements!  So happy for you and your family.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 07:34:56 AM »
Aaron congrats again. I assume your going from represented to management. Is there any affect on your retirement?

One if the problems we have at our company is the retirement difference between management and union employees. We used to all have 401Ks. Then the company changed that to a cash balance for management and newly hired represented employees several years ago.

The problem is that the older employees who have many years of experience doing their job who would make great managers will not go into management because of the huge loss their retirement will take going from a 401K to a cash balance. So people currently being hired into management are new employees who have very little time in the field. Many may have never done the job! Just know the policy and procedures.

I have been asked to go into management myself but am apprehensive due to my retirement getting hit so hard. And the fact that the pay is more but there is no overtime and without that you actually make less! If the company allowed the employees going into management to keep their 401K they would get better candidates.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 07:41:40 AM »
Good for you Aaron. Sounds like everyone thinks your the man for the job.

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 07:52:58 AM »

Awesome!

"There's a new sheriff  in town......."

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 08:02:11 AM »
That is fantastic news!!!!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 08:11:18 AM »
Aaron congrats again. I assume your going from represented to management. Is there any affect on your retirement?

One if the problems we have at our company is the retirement difference between management and union employees. We used to all have 401Ks. Then the company changed that to a cash balance for management and newly hired represented employees several years ago.

The problem is that the older employees who have many years of experience doing their job who would make great managers will not go into management because of the huge loss their retirement will take going from a 401K to a cash balance. So people currently being hired into management are new employees who have very little time in the field. Many may have never done the job! Just know the policy and procedures.

I have been asked to go into management myself but am apprehensive due to my retirement getting hit so hard. And the fact that the pay is more but there is no overtime and without that you actually make less! If the company allowed the employees going into management to keep their 401K they would get better candidates.
My retirement will be the same but I will get more monthly at retirement as it is based on a percentage of what you made monthly when you retire. Right now I am still on hourly and the overtime is pretty good. Like I said my union took a month bickering over the contract for me to have this job since it is interim for now. I've been sworn to secrecy of what will happen when the interim is up but I can say it is only good.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 08:18:22 AM »
Congrats Brother!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 09:08:49 AM »
A big CONGRATS to you buddy!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 09:20:15 AM »
right on key.  that is so cool.  congrats partner.  way to go.  i'm thinking a big fat porterhouse on the grill should work.  this weekend partner.   ;)

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I'm thinking maybe another grill to cook that porterhouse steak on.

Just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 09:35:59 AM »
Congrats!  Always good to see folks go "up"  in the world in which they work
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2014, 10:16:08 AM »

My retirement will be the same but I will get more monthly at retirement as it is based on a percentage of what you made monthly when you retire. Right now I am still on hourly and the overtime is pretty good. Like I said my union took a month bickering over the contract for me to have this job since it is interim for now. I've been sworn to secrecy of what will happen when the interim is up but I can say it is only good.

Sounds similar to our V assignments for management. You get to keep your seniority, retirement, etc because it is a voluntary and temporary contract. They give you a 3% raise but you go from hourly to salary and no overtime. These assignments have been pre-negotiated through the union contract with the company. It used to be that these V assignments would allow easy transition into management until they changed the retirements.

So if you go permanent does your retirement still stay the same? I only ask because it seems after the Enron fiasco most companies changed their 401K retirements. I am thankful I had enough time with the company(over 10 years) to be grandfathered in to keep my 401K. All the employees that had less than 10 years had their 401Ks rolled over to a cash balance program and took a hit.

The less time you have to retirement the worse the cash balance is when moving from a 401K. Starting at a young age with a cash balance is not bad because the gains are gradual through your life. You make more on your 401K during your last 10 years.

So the closer you are to retirement the more your 401K can be affected going to cash balance.

Also our retirements are based on the last three years of pay. So if you spend the last three years at a much higher pay scale it increases your retirement pay out.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven