Author Topic: My New Truck  (Read 2337 times)

Offline pz

Re: My New Truck
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 04:53:02 PM »
What a great looking ride!  I think yours is the same color as mine, but I'm completely envious of your mpg!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2014, 06:02:29 PM »
I took a trip to PA to see my aunt.  She had fallen and broken her hip.  She looked pretty good for someone who had to have surgery for a broken hip.

I filled up here in Morganton, NC and drove to PA primarily on the open road.  I decided to follow the speed limit and use cruise control as much as possible.  When I pulled into the parking lot in Elizabethtown, PA (near Hershey) the computer said I had averaged 30.0 mpg!  Now THAT is what I am talking about.  I drove up 81.  It has a lot of hills (mountains according to the locals) and I still got great mileage.  Passing was never a problem.  In fact, I had to be careful because I found myself at 15 + over the speed limit several times.  Don't need any tickets.  Have had an opportunity to try to pull a trailer.

Do I love my truck?  Hell yes!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 07:01:36 PM »
Does anyone else remember when diesel was cheaper than gas per gallon? Then when they figured out people were buying diesel cars and trucks because they got better MPG they raised the price on diesel so it kind of evened things out. I am not into conspiracy theories but is there another reason that diesel is now more expensive than gas?
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2014, 07:45:04 PM »
I'm doing some contract work for Chrysler, and I am very impressed with that Engine. My Ford Diesel experience dates back to the original 6.9 in '83 to current production. They have lost a lot of Fleets due to high repair costs, having to remove the Cab of the Truck for some simple fuel leak repairs, and Transmission issues. The Ram Diesel seems to have that "just right" balance with power and economy. I do hope this one does well in the long run.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2014, 08:33:26 PM »
Does anyone else remember when diesel was cheaper than gas per gallon? Then when they figured out people were buying diesel cars and trucks because they got better MPG they raised the price on diesel so it kind of evened things out. I am not into conspiracy theories but is there another reason that diesel is now more expensive than gas?

Yep, when I bought my '99 F-350 7.3L Turbodiesel in 1999, diesel was going for $1.35/gallon, now it's around $3.89/gallon and it's been that high and higher for a long time.  A few years ago when it was more outrageous than it is now I paid $4.99/gallon, those $190.00 fill ups was ridiculous.  :o
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2014, 11:06:20 PM »

I've got a friend who's worked in the refinery business all his life and the way he explained it to me (at least how I understood it) was that originally diesel was basically a throwaway by-product of refining gasoline, but as they kept reducing the sulfur content by law it requires so much more processing that it is now more expensive to produce than gasoline. Of course then you add in the 30-40 different blends they are required to produce around the country and by season.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2014, 11:30:17 AM »
Ken, The day after I took possession of the '84 Chevy diesel Suburban they raised the price on diesel above regular because "they" knew they had me for a number of years.  When I retired in '90 I was paying 0.95 to 0.99 per gallon.  That was before they (re. EPA) started reducing the sulfur content.  What would we do with our lives if we didn't have those busy bodies who live in big cities who take cabs and subways to work looking out for us?  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers