Author Topic: EVOL VS Coconut Oil  (Read 6617 times)

Offline RAD

EVOL VS Coconut Oil
« Reply #-1 on: May 24, 2014, 06:41:44 AM »
My wife asked me about cooking with EVOL EVOO (Thanks Jax) vs cooking with Coconut oil. She said that a friend told her that cooking with olive oil is bad and that her friend recommends that she switch to coconut oil. I only use olive for sautéing vegies and never use it for high heat cooking. If I am going to fry anything I use a Canola oil or vegetable oil.

What do you guys think? Should I stop using olive oil for any type of cooking? Is it dangerous? Is coconut really better for you? Who here uses it for cooking over other oils and why?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 07:36:46 PM by RAD »
Love to cook and eat

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: EVOL VS Coconut Oil
« on: May 24, 2014, 07:22:44 AM »
Dang it,lost my post!

OK,AFAIK,evoo and coconut are both very healthful and used in their place excellent choices.Canola is a chemical disaster and I wont touch it.

Margarine,another chemical stew.

I go for natural over any man made food that requires chemical processing.I wont go for "Better living through chemicals" when it comes to food,ie curing salts excepted,that sort of thing.

Lard is actually,chemically,better than butter.Lard got a bad rap during the cholesterol BS (non)science.No trans fat in Lard.So butter in place of margarine,Lard in place of canola chemicals is my take.Lard and fluffy biscuits/pastries are well known.

As for 'vegetable' oil,I dont know anything about it.

Another Mrs uses is grapeseed oil,moderate smoke point and good in salad dressings,light flavor.Healthy or not though is debatable,can read studies that go either way.

All current and even some very old literature seems to back up trans fats as being very harmful.

Just what Ive read,who knows the truth?

Certainly would like to know what others think about the subject.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 07:28:41 AM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Pappymn

EVOL VS Coconut Oil
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 09:26:21 AM »
What spuds said. Coconut oil is great for certain things, but the taste is in no way neutral.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 09:31:20 AM »
Sounds like some kind of new "trend" RAD.

A good quality Olive Oil tastes so good that you should not cook with it ;)

Olive Oil is very healthy and a fairly neutral in flavor.

Leave the Coconut Oil to use when tanning 8)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Admin2

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 09:47:21 AM »
This is a topic of constant controversy. Even scientists studying "food oils" will alter their opinions from time to time.  I have seen within the last 5 years - 3 opinions on olive oils:
 1. good for everything, including high temp. cooking
 2. good for room temp consumption - but not high temp cooking ( due to some chemicals within olive oil become carcinogens when heated )
 3.many olive oils are blends of various other ingredient oils - and not pure olive oil, skewing the above 2 opinions.

Just a few years ago - we were told to avoid coconut oil at all costs - due to the fat content....

Confusing...isn't it?

Now: on Canola oil... I find the same variety of opinions exist. And - not that I am friend or foe of Snopes, they are merely a well known resource-

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp

( Be sure to read the LAST part of the information )

AGAIN- I am neutral on this, because there are SO many opinions. Even among the "experts"

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 10:16:25 AM »
The only thing I use EVOL for is herbed bread dip, for cooking I do use about all ELOL, extra light olive oil, it has a higher smoke point than EVOL and I think it is healthy! It is hard to find any truth in what is good and what is bad for you.

Bacon grease I love but use it sparingly. Nothing better tasting than fried potatoes, popcorn and in some salads using it.

Usually use peanut oil for deep frying when I do it.

Margarine I won't use, not sure if it is good or bad but just try to eat a teaspoon of it vs  butter! I think all who have seen the bread and butter in my posts know I love butter!

Canola oil, bad taste to me.

Coconut oil, have used it for the skin.

Grape seed oil, use only for seasoning cast iron.

That's my story! Smokin Don

Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 10:52:19 AM »
There seems to be more, and more food oils available to us. I hope we can keep a discussion alive with all of the information you guys can find.

I have friend son the Paleo diet - and it seems that fatty meats are perfectly healthy - in that diet.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 11:27:30 AM »
There seems to be more, and more food oils available to us. I hope we can keep a discussion alive with all of the information you guys can find.

I have friend son the Paleo diet - and it seems that fatty meats are perfectly healthy - in that diet.
I would agree.When we changed from eating a lot of meat to the carb diet in the late 1960's,obesity started a huge upward trend.Theory is carbs dont curb appetite like meat does.So you eat more.

But who knows if it was just that switch and not more sugars or something else. Its so hard to get the correct info when sources are so conflicted.Have to draw our own conclusions on what we personally find healthy.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Northshore

EVOL VS Coconut Oil
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 11:38:02 AM »
Please check out this site,
http://www.consumerhealth.org/articles/display.cfm?ID=19990303194521
This is from Consumer Health organization of Canada.  If link does not work.  Search "the oiling of North America"

All the high carb push did was spur the increase of type 11 diabetes in MHO
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 11:46:26 AM »
When I was about 6 yr old, I heard my Dad ask a friend what kind of oil to use in his outboard motor.  I asked if "turmoil" would work...had no idea what it was, but had heard someone use the word before.

B T W, is EVOL the same as EVOO?

just askin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline spuds

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 11:55:50 AM »
Please check out this site,
http://www.consumerhealth.org/articles/display.cfm?ID=19990303194521
This is from Consumer Health organization of Canada.  If link does not work.  Search "the oiling of North America"

All the high carb push did was spur the increase of type 11 diabetes in MHO
Northshore,that is an EXCELLENT link and puts in a nutshell what Ive seen in multiple  studies Ive researched.Agree with it 100%.

Please read that link,its an eye opener if you believe that our dietary recommendations are based on firm science,they arent.They are hugely based on a few persons biases without factual studies,just 'assumptions' and given the STAMP OF ULTIMATE APPROVAL by bureaucrats,think about it.

Actual death statistics show those who live longest have cholesterol levels in the 160 to 230 range,after that on either end death rates rise pretty equally and increase at the same rates as the numbers increase or decrease from that range.

People on salt restricted diets die earlier than those who arent.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »
It's not the carbs guys it is the simple lack of exercise and combination of high calorie processed foods.

In the 1960's people were not constantly sitting in front of a television or computer while consuming high calories. People were more active. Foods were not as processed as they are now.

A large soda was 12 ounces not 32 ounces. A burger was not as big. Serving sizes were smaller. People were actually cooking meals and sitting at the dinner table not nuking stuff.

I grew up in the 1970s and my mom would tell us to get outside and play. It is tough to get my kids to do that when there is so much effortless entertainment inside like the iPad,xbox,wii, etc.

And there are many medications available today that will keep your body going that back then you would be forced to change your diet and exercise. Cholesterol medications, blood pressure meds, and other medications that thwart some situations where your body is telling you it is hurting and needs attention.

Carbs are good in moderation if your active. They offer sustained energy. But if your not active then your body will not convert them.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 02:07:56 PM »
It's not the carbs guys it is the simple lack of exercise and combination of high calorie processed foods.

In the 1960's people were not constantly sitting in front of a television or computer while consuming high calories. People were more active. Foods were not as processed as they are now.

A large soda was 12 ounces not 32 ounces. A burger was not as big. Serving sizes were smaller. People were actually cooking meals and sitting at the dinner table not nuking stuff.

I grew up in the 1970s and my mom would tell us to get outside and play. It is tough to get my kids to do that when there is so much effortless entertainment inside like the iPad,xbox,wii, etc.

And there are many medications available today that will keep your body going that back then you would be forced to change your diet and exercise. Cholesterol medications, blood pressure meds, and other medications that thwart some situations where your body is telling you it is hurting and needs attention.

Carbs are good in moderation if your active. They offer sustained energy. But if your not active then your body will not convert them.

Point well taken Mike.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 02:38:30 PM »
I also have read the study and agree

My mother used to put out the margarin but I never liked it. I have been and always will be a butter man.

As for the the oils. If it natural it's good if it modified it's bad.

I am not a fan of this genetic modified stuff they are making farmers grow now.

"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 03:31:15 PM »
I also have read the study and agree

My mother used to put out the margarin but I never liked it. I have been and always will be a butter man.

As for the the oils. If it natural it's good if it modified it's bad.

I am not a fan of this genetic modified stuff they are making farmers grow now.

X2
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #