Author Topic: EVOL VS Coconut Oil  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Northshore

EVOL VS Coconut Oil
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 04:22:22 PM »
It's not the carbs guys it is the simple lack of exercise and combination of high calorie processed foods.

In the 1960's people were not constantly sitting in front of a television or computer while consuming high calories. People were more active. Foods were not as processed as they are now.

A large soda was 12 ounces not 32 ounces. A burger was not as big. Serving sizes were smaller. People were actually cooking meals and sitting at the dinner table not nuking stuff.

I grew up in the 1970s and my mom would tell us to get outside and play. It is tough to get my kids to do that when there is so much effortless entertainment inside like the iPad,xbox,wii, etc.

And there are many medications available today that will keep your body going that back then you would be forced to change your diet and exercise. Cholesterol medications, blood pressure meds, and other medications that thwart some situations where your body is telling you it is hurting and needs attention.

Carbs are good in moderation if your active. They offer sustained energy. But if your not active then your body will not convert them.
No disagreement here. 

Re:processed foods
Don't eat anything that has ingredients you can't pronounce or anything including oils that take multiple chemical processes to create.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: EVOL VS Coconut Oil
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 05:11:41 PM »
It's not the carbs guys it is the simple lack of exercise and combination of high calorie processed foods.

In the 1960's people were not constantly sitting in front of a television or computer while consuming high calories. People were more active. Foods were not as processed as they are now.

A large soda was 12 ounces not 32 ounces. A burger was not as big. Serving sizes were smaller. People were actually cooking meals and sitting at the dinner table not nuking stuff.

I grew up in the 1970s and my mom would tell us to get outside and play. It is tough to get my kids to do that when there is so much effortless entertainment inside like the iPad,xbox,wii, etc.

And there are many medications available today that will keep your body going that back then you would be forced to change your diet and exercise. Cholesterol medications, blood pressure meds, and other medications that thwart some situations where your body is telling you it is hurting and needs attention.

Carbs are good in moderation if your active. They offer sustained energy. But if your not active then your body will not convert them.
No disagreement here. 

Re:processed foods
Don't eat anything that has ingredients you can't pronounce or anything including oils that take multiple chemical processes to create.

I agree with this too! And Jaxon I believe that EVOL and EVOO are the same. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline hikerman

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 05:18:12 PM »

I agree Mike. Our diets should reflect our daily work/play regimen. Example, I grew up with my dad asking if I was going to eat the fat that I just cut off my meat at dinner. He seemed to eat fat as though it was candy. I remember still being asleep and smelling the bacon and eggs cooking that he had six days a week before work. He worked very hard and he played hard too. He was in perfect shape into his 70's. In fact his doctor used to tell me that we should all be so lucky to have his heart.....it was that of a forty year old!
As for carbs they should be dependent on our activity levels. And whole grain, unprocessed are the way to go. No white flour, no white sugar etc. 
Processed foods kill, but that is what the majority of people eat, and then Big Pharma makes $$$$$$$$$$$$ on the magic pill remedy. Who do you suppose writes these articles telling us that garbage food is OK for us?  I believe the two major manufacturers of cola tried to convince us that High Fructose Corn Syrup is not unhealthy for us. In fact they lobbied/ paid for, the ability to change the name of HFCS to another name. If it's not bad, why change the name?
Read labels, know what goes in your pie-hole, research, the "experts" seem to be bought already. Trust your educated self more!  My doctor has a rule for the grocery store and it's a good one," If it comes in a sealed bag or a box leave it where it lies!" Everything we truly need is on the outer walls of the store,
the aisles are filled with nothing but processed foods.

Offline RAD

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 07:47:45 PM »
This is great and some really great feedback. I also eat carbs and run to balance the two. I, like most here live to eat. We all enjoy food. But with that said, I also want to make sure I'm not putting things into my body that aren't healthy if I can change the way I do a couple of small things. Believe me, I put enough crap in my body on my own, knowing it, that I would like to change some so simple things if I could.

And yes EVOL is the same as EVOO. Typo. Geez you guys don't miss anything.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 06:55:02 AM by RAD »
Love to cook and eat

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 09:27:10 PM »
Northshore and Mike ( muebe) GREAT input!

And the Canadian Consumer Health Article is a fantastic read - and really lays it out nicely.

Thanks!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
EVOL VS Coconut Oil
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 09:28:05 PM »
I do cook often with coconut oil.. Some have a strong coconut taste where others have no flavour at all.. I actually prefer the flavourless coconut oil over evoo, I seems lighter to me.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2014, 09:31:08 PM »

Trust your educated self more! 
I agree,educating OURSELVES is the key to it all.

Im not a big flag waver for Carbs,they are still waaaay over represented in our diets and 'official' guidelines IMO and many others',but that we can eat them in much more moderated amts seems reasonable.I think when we go to extremes on diet we get into unintended issues,balanced diets IMO make sense,just make sure the balance includes nutrition in all forms.

The food we eat evolved with us,and I believe for a reason.We need all the macronutrients and micronutrients for optimal heath.

I laugh at the infomercials,The amazing health pill! Sheesh,no pill will supply all the micronutrients out there,that we need,even if science hasnt even discovered them yet,or what they do for us.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:39:30 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 09:29:45 AM »

I agree with this,to a point.When the FDA dietary food guidelines came out in the 1960's pushing carbs the graph of wt gain immediately went on a huge upward trend,It looks very similar to the national debt charts after we went off the silver standard.Parabolic rise but in the early 70's we were still pretty active kids.

For sure all the change in sugar and activity later,and the rise of fast food is a major major player.IMO.

Loved the oiling of North America,fascinating.

As for research,nurses are really good researchers.From the getgo I knew a brilliant nurse who was just freaking out over the cholesterol guidelines and meds,she had reams and reams of research,would wear out a printer every three months.So I heard a lot from her,and low and behold,she was right,just 20-30 years ahead of our times.

I think why RNs are such good health researchers is they dont have a financial dog in the fight,and instead many are hugely altruistic people who really believe that the nurses duty is to act as patient advocates and flat out call it as it is,agendas and consequences be damned.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 09:56:12 AM »

I agree, and this article from the Mayo Clinic about sitting too much supports this.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/adult-health/expert-answers/sitting/faq-20058005
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 10:04:09 AM »
For sure,sedentary and adverse health go hand in hand.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 10:31:03 AM »

I agree with this,to a point.When the FDA dietary food guidelines came out in the 1960's pushing carbs the graph of wt gain immediately went on a huge upward trend,It looks very similar to the national debt charts after we went off the silver standard.Parabolic rise but in the early 70's we were still pretty active kids.

For sure all the change in sugar and activity later,and the rise of fast food is a major major player.IMO.

Loved the oiling of North America,fascinating.

As for research,nurses are really good researchers.From the getgo I knew a brilliant nurse who was just freaking out over the cholesterol guidelines and meds,she had reams and reams of research,would wear out a printer every three months.So I heard a lot from her,and low and behold,she was right,just 20-30 years ahead of our times.

I think why RNs are such good health researchers is they dont have a financial dog in the fight,and instead many are hugely altruistic people who really believe that the nurses duty is to act as patient advocates and flat out call it as it is,agendas and consequences be damned.

Bread and carbs are nothing new. They have been around before the 1960's. People do not really follow the guidelines they follow the trends IMHO. Again portion sizes and activity levels are the key here.

More unhealthy snacking. Larger sodas loaded with sugar and less activity with more and more television being watched is the trend that I see.

The first microwave hit the homes in 1967 and then things got worse. Quick snacks that normally would take 30 minutes to make were ready in 5 minutes.

And fast food started getting really big in the 1960's. Heck Burger King and Taco Bell were started in the 1950's. McDonalds started in 1948. So fast food is nothing new. But I guarantee at that time that they were using less processed ingredients and portion sizes were much smaller. But after the 1960's things were getting more processed.

I just get frustrated when I hear that "carbs" are the problem. Eliminating carbs is a easy way to lose weight because your body wants carbs. Without carbs your body will be forced into starvation mode and start using the fats in your body to make carbs. That is why diets that cut carbs work to reduce weight without exercise. But your body does not want to do this and there are other effects that can happen. And your body has a quick memory and will start storing that fat once carbs are re-introduced so some people have a tough time keeping to the diet.

My humble opinion is that the best way to lose weight is to eat healthy meals, control your portions, and get at least 30 minutes of cardio in a day and you will lose weight. It might not come off quickly but you will be able to manage it once you lose it.

We as a country have just become more and more lazy. Just less and less physical activity. And more consuming of food. Snacks, breakfast, lunch, dinner, late dinner, desserts, etc. We are natural hunter/gatherers but hunting for a snack in your fridge does not count ;)

Buffets are just terrible! Sure it is a great value for a family but most people eat 3-4 servings at a buffet because they can! Then go home and sit in front of a television. All that then turns into fat and clogs their arteries.

Ok I am now done with my rant :)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2014, 10:40:17 AM »

[/quote]

I agree 100% Spuds! Most, not all of our "expert advice" is nothing more than "paid political advertising". Here is a recent example:
www.yakimaherald.com/news/latestnews/2199888-8/burn-surgeon-accused-of-biased-testimony-resigns-state

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2014, 10:48:26 AM »
Good subject, and I may have to change my ways.  I started to use Canola oil because I thought it was healthier.  According to the Canadian article, I was wrong.  I like to deep fry periodically, so what would be the best oil to use to be healthy and have a high smoke temperature?  Peanut Oil?

Offline hikerman

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2014, 11:03:53 AM »
Good subject, and I may have to change my ways.  I started to use Canola oil because I thought it was healthier.  According to the Canadian article, I was wrong.  I like to deep fry periodically, so what would be the best oil to use to be healthy and have a high smoke temperature?  Peanut Oil?
[/quote

Cookie, peanut or safflower would be good for what you want.  IMHO!

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2014, 11:45:42 AM »
"Everything in moderation , nothing in Excess ! "
Works pretty good as a dietary guide!
Just don't try to keep up drinking beer with BAM!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp