Author Topic: Zaycon Foods  (Read 862 times)

Offline Pappymn

Zaycon Foods
« Reply #-1 on: June 11, 2014, 10:21:16 AM »
So I stumbled upon a video of this company.  They sell fresh meat by the case and are said to be "30-50%" cheaper then a grocery store.  They have "events" all over the country where you pick up your pre-ordered and pre-paid meat.  Looks like we have ground beef events in the Twin Cities in July. This doesn't interest me, but will be waiting for the next chicken breast/thigh event to see what the pricing looks like.

I think the business model sounds interesting.  Anybody have any knowledge of this company?  zayconfoods.com
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Zaycon Foods
« on: June 11, 2014, 10:30:44 AM »
Sounds a little scary (like the guys that come to your door selling meat out of their truck).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 10:31:38 AM »
It does look interesting. I'm with you - not too interested in 40# of ground beef, but the chicken would be worth looking at. Thanks for the tip.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 02:40:26 PM »
Checked them out. They get wholesale prices by buying in huge amounts for these events and truck the product direct from the farm. Then they save money by just trucking it to one event.

Sounds like a Costco on wheels! :o
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 03:45:55 PM »
I think I would be inclined to check the "sell-by" date LOL :o
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »
Checked them out. They get wholesale prices by buying in huge amounts for these events and truck the product direct from the farm. Then they save money by just trucking it to one event.

Sounds like a Costco on wheels! :o

I like the direct from farm part. Would be even better if from local farms. Will be interesting to actually see prices and the meat...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 04:08:15 PM »
I hope this is not how "Soylent Green" got started!   ???

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 04:12:16 PM »
I hope this is not how "Soylent Green" got started!   ???

Probably more like Motel Hell...  ;) ;D
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 04:59:08 PM »
Gee David...are you a Great BAD movies" fan too? :D :D :D

All kidding aside - I wonder what the quality of their meats are like?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 05:08:39 PM »
They are legit and the cats meow.Im on their list... waiting on the chicken breasts,supposedly as prime as you can get without going to the farm yourself.A buddy has ordered several of their products and swears its top quality,says sausage is great too,AND he raises his own meats too,so thats HIGH praise.

They have one item usually each month,the chicken order is currently sold out. They come in a refer truck,never frozen.You drive up,and they toss in your car the box.MUST preorder to get on list,you do so by finding the location closest to you,hit order and pay online with a card,and be there on due date and time,for me its a local churches parking lot about 15 miles from home.

The web praise,especially on the chicken,is great.Think the last chicken order was around 2 dollars a lb?

OK,jumbo skinless,hand  deboned thighs are 2.39/lb,jumbo wings 1.99

Here is the product list

https://www.zayconfoods.com/products

Also if you are a retired trucker looking for a part time gig,check them out.Seen em looking for drivers before,and their growth has been huge,they MUST be doing it right.Read web reviews if in doubt about them.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:23:45 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 05:11:49 PM »
Sounds a little scary (like the guys that come to your door selling meat out of their truck).
Have you noticed its always just after their last stop no matter what time of day it is?   And how good a deal its going to be ?
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 05:18:24 PM »
Have you noticed its always just after their last stop no matter what time of day it is?   And how good a deal its going to be ?

Exactly!  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

Zaycon Foods
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 05:19:37 PM »
That's great to hear Spuds. Sounds like everything comes in a couple of big bags in the case. So portioning and vac sealing is required. Which is no problem for me.

I did create an account, so I will wait to hear about upcoming events.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 08:05:16 PM »
They were here today, but by the time I decided to order some wings and thighs they were sold out!
In hind sight I should of ordered when they first said they were coming. They do sell out fast and the people
I know who buy from them really like the products.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 11:10:54 PM »
Thanks for the good reviews, Spuds and HOS. I'm going to sign up too and look for the chicken. Room in the deep freeze to portion for use later.
Member #