Author Topic: Tappecue temp probe and updates  (Read 451 times)

Offline Sailor1

Tappecue temp probe and updates
« Reply #-1 on: June 16, 2014, 03:58:17 PM »
Tappecue sent me a cabinet temp probe and a new water resistant meat probe to test out.  On Sunday I did a test of the new probes using hot water to see how the probes worked.  I used my therm pen as a control and then used my PID cabinet temp probe and meat probe as a 2nd control as I know they are spot on.

I clamped all of the probes together to make sure they would be registering the temp at the same spot in the pan of water and made sure the water level was below the area where the wire inserted into the probe.  Been down that road before.  ::)

I took readings at ambient air, 144, 155 and 176.  Therm pen and PID probes were all spot on with each other.  The Tappecue probes, well not so much and had 2 of the older probes as much as 12 degrees off.  So I did a big write up with pics of all of the read outs and sent them in to Tappecue to show my findings. 

About 1 hr after I sent the report in I got an email from them asking what version of firmware was on the Tappecue.  It was the same version that came with it 0.00 which I replied.  They suggested that I download the newest version of firmware from their site and that should help with the temp reading.  Heck, I didn't know there was a new version of firmware out there.  So last night I downloaded and installed the new firmware 0.02 version and tested the 4 tappecue probes at ambient air.  Hog Dang they all read the same.  Yippie.  I will do another hot water test this weekend and hopefully the problem with different readings have been corrected with the new firmware.

The purpose of this post is to alert the readers that own the Tappecue that you need to update your firmware!  I love my Tappecue but have not been that excited about the difference in temps when comparing it to my PID probes.  So now it looks like they have fixed the problem and all will be good.

I was very impressed with them sending me some new probes to test out for them and the speedy reply when they received my input and offered a quick fix to the problems.  I guess I need to check out their website more often to see new firmware is posted.

Hope this heads up will help some of you Tappecue users.

Jim

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Tappecue temp probe and updates
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:04:08 AM »
Thanks for the info Jim.

Now your talking about hooking the Tappecue up to the computer and updating the firmware not the app update correct?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 08:22:29 AM »
Thanks for the info Jim.

Now your talking about hooking the Tappecue up to the computer and updating the firmware not the app update correct?
Yep!  Got to update the device.  Go to their site and download the firmware update file.  It is a zip file and extract it.  There will be a PDF with instructions.  Then download the setup zip file.  Put both files in a folder so you know where they are and know where the files are after you extract the zip files.  You will then uninstall Tappecue from your PC and then install the new Tappecue program.  You will go thru the steps to set up Tappecue like you did when you got it.  It will then update the new version on the device and your router info. There are some other steps that you will take that are explained in the instructions. Hope this helps.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 09:57:11 AM »
Cool!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven