Author Topic: Freeze and thaw or what?  (Read 381 times)

Offline Vir

Freeze and thaw or what?
« Reply #-1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:26:37 AM »
   How do y'all travel with cooked brisket? I was going to haul my smoker and all the odds and ends needed to do some cooking on vacation but have decided to just cook it here and haul it with us. Having never traveled more than about an hour with brisket I need a little guidance on how to transport for about a 9 hour drive. My original plan was to freeze it whole wrap and bag it then cover with ice then get down the road. I have started thinking just to wrap and bag no freezing. Which would y'all do.

Aso with reheating a whole brisket, slice it or leave it whole and reheat in the oven?

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Freeze and thaw or what?
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:34:48 AM »
Good questions..if it's already frozen I would keep it that way..if not just keep it cold. You could use ice or dry ice. If your only gonna use part of it at a time, I would cut it in half and go from there. It takes a lotta ppl to eat a whole brisket at one time.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:49:40 AM »
For a 9 hour trip in a cooler no need to freeze. Just ice it down.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 08:50:07 AM »
I am with Pam on the cut ting it in half. But I would take the half with the point. ;) ;D

Seriously - do you have a vacuum bagger - like a Food Saver? If so - you can take the chilled ( refrigerated ) whole brisket, cut it into portions/manageable sized chunks and vacuum bag. And - you could even pre slice the chunks that you are going to vac. bag. Again - do this when the brisket is COLD... well chilled. It will slice better, and yo will save the juices in it this way.

Now - the Food Saver and similar brand bags are fine to drop into a pot of hot water. They are free of any of the bad plasticizers - (but check the brand you are using to be sure!) so you can warm up the contents in hot water or a microwave with power settings for re-heat - NOT a full power cook.

So - if you are camping on vacation - carry a pot....or look for a microwave in the campground office ;) 8)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 08:52:37 AM »
For 9 hours (if traveling right after it is done), I would take it in a faux cambro and leave it warm.  You may need to reheat a little, but it should stay warm enough to be safe if you pack the cooler well with towels and wrap it tight in foil.  Any longer than that, I would refrigerate and then travel with it on ice.  Always keep it unsliced, and reheat whole (at around 200 does best IMO) if necessary.  If by some chance it is already frozen, I would travel with it on ice after thawing as much as possible in the fridge.  If carrying it on ice and needing to reheat, I would vacuum seal it if possible.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Vir

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 09:05:59 AM »
I am cooking it today and traveling tomorrow. My vacuum sealer will not do a whole brisket but I can cut it into smaller pieces. I will have access to a stove for reheating. I think I may just add some beef broth and reheat the chunks in a heavy cast iron covered pot and go from there.

THANK YOU ALL for the advice.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 09:14:18 AM »
I would leave it whole and sacrifice the vacuum seal, but that's just me.  If you are going to slice it, slice as little as necessary.  A straight separation of the point and flat would be best.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 11:12:51 AM »
We had frozen 'cue sent to relatives from Black's and apparently this reheat instruction was on all of it and they said it worked great.

On a side note, I got an email from Black's yesterday.  They are opening next month in Austin.

"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline Vir

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 02:23:34 PM »
Thanks Wingman, I will be trying this method

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 02:31:29 PM »
Yup,ice chest.I used to use a block of ice in a cooler when I lived off grid,good for several days with a block to keep fresh meat fresh. i laid packaged meat right on top of ice.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.