Author Topic: Smithfield bought out...  (Read 455 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Smithfield bought out...
« Reply #-1 on: June 23, 2014, 11:13:06 AM »
I just read that Smithfield, who also owns Armour and Farmland, has been bought by the Chinese for $34 a share.  Don't know  what, if any, impact it will have on supply and price of stuff in US.  The Chinese are flush with money and are acquiring a lot of different stuff here in America.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Smithfield bought out...
« on: June 23, 2014, 11:23:17 AM »
I have read elsewhere that this always Smithfield to ship pork to China - and do all of the butchering there, then ship back to the USA for packaging. Interesting - *IF* true....that ey could do so including the cost of freight - both ways more cost effective than keeping all of the processing in the USA.

I personally will no longer be buying Smithfield products.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 11:37:05 AM »
Thanks for the info Dee.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 11:45:54 AM »
I have read elsewhere that this always Smithfield to ship pork to China - and do all of the butchering there, then ship back to the USA for packaging. Interesting - *IF* true....that ey could do so including the cost of freight - both ways more cost effective than keeping all of the processing in the USA.

X2
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Sandman

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 11:49:25 AM »
The news came out about a year ago. I have not noticed any changes in quality. Prices, well everybody's prices are sky high now.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 12:29:30 PM »
The news came out about a year ago. I have not noticed any changes in quality. Prices, well everybody's prices are sky high now.
I am always looking for local suppliers. It's not just quality and prices (as they are all high) but I like to meet the guy who grows my food.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 12:37:30 PM »
 Once the Piggly Wiggly came to town I have used their pork. 
The Smithfield always had a foul smell when you open the package. I always scrubbed it down before cooking it. Thank goodness those days are over for now.
 Thanks for the info Dee..
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »

X2

X3!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 12:52:30 PM »
Interesting coincidence.  From the KCBS email that came out this morning...

Smithfield and Farmland Announced as 2014 Rib Team of the Year Sponsors
KCBS is proud to announce its continued partnership with Smithfield and Farmland, two leading suppliers of fresh ribs, as the official sponsors of the 2014 Rib Team of the Year. As the official 2014 Rib Team of the Year sponsors, the Smithfield and Farmland brands will award top-placing teams with the rib category prize purse and bragging rights for the next competition year. In 2014, KCBS, Smithfield, and Farmland are celebrating their third year of continued partnership. Smithfield and Farmland wish all teams good luck this season, and we hope to see you at the 2014 KCBS banquet.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 03:03:09 PM »
I've been buying at Sam's most of the time.  I'm not sure who else I would/could go to in Charlotte, other than a Supermarket.  The vast majority of the time, what they carry is Smithfield.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC