Author Topic: Dutch and Sandy's Dutch oven ribs  (Read 2523 times)

Offline GrillinBWCA

• Boundary Waters, Minnesota
Dutch and Sandy's Dutch oven ribs
« Reply #-1 on: June 26, 2014, 08:53:23 AM »
This technique for cooking perfect ribs was taught to me by some friends from Texas.  Dutch usually baked a big loaf of his homemade bread in another DO to serve along with the ribs.  Add a veggie side like coleslaw and a dessert like lemon squares and dinner is served.

For those interested in Dutch oven cooking who don't know where to start, click here.  I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have, too.

Dutch and Sandy's Dutch Oven Ribs

1-2 racks pork ribs, cut into individual ribs
Dry rub, recipe below
Water
1-2 bottles barbecue sauce
Place roasting rack in #12 DO, then pour in water to cover the bottom of the DO and a bit more, but keep it below the rack.  Cut ribs and drop each rib into a plastic bag containing a liberal amount of the dry rub.  Shake to coat well.  Place ribs in flat layer on rack, making as many layers as required to get all the ribs in.  Fire up the charcoal and steam the ribs 90 minutes using one ring of coals under the pot and a ring and a half on top.  Don't skimp on this time!  Using a glass or metal-tipped turkey baster, remove most of the liquid from under the rack in the DO.  Liberally coat each rib with barbecue sauce either by dunking them in the sauce or slathering on with a mop or brush.  Don't be stingy with the sauce, either.  Using a fresh batch of coals, continue cooking the ribs with one ring of coals under the pot and a ring and a half on the lid.  Do not let the pot go dry.  At the end of the cooking time, serve.  For sandwiches, hold bread slice in left hand, place rib on bread, gently close bread around rib, and with right hand, twist bone gently.  The meat will fall right off the rib.

Excellent Dry Rub

1 T. black pepper
1 T. salt
1 T. onion powder
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. coriander
1 T. cumin
1 T. cayenne
2 T. paprika
3 T. chili powder
Mix all together and store in container with tight lid.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:06:18 AM by GrillinBWCA »

Offline hikerman

Re: Dutch and Sandy's Dutch oven ribs
« on: June 26, 2014, 10:40:19 AM »
Sounds excellent Grillin! Will have to try on my next camping trip.  8)

Offline GrillinBWCA

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 10:52:59 AM »
I haven't made these for a while myself, and they're a favorite.  Looks like I need to pick up some ribs!

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 11:39:10 AM »
am i reading this right?  you steam the ribs for 1 1/2 hours?  i would have never thought of doing that to a rib.  it's cool learning the new ways.  i'm a kinda of a old school.  throw them on the bbq for 4 or 5 hours type of guy.  that's the time i replenish my fluids.  my wife and daughter would like your way.  they are tired of my ways of cooking ribs.     :(
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 11:40:27 AM »
Wow!

Now that at I see your recipe - and the the cooking method explained - I am go to try this. It looks like it can be adapted to other cuts of meats as well....Very nice! Thanks for sharing :)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 11:43:18 AM »

Nice!

That rub sounds dangerously close to the one we use at our BBQ shop............     8)

Offline GrillinBWCA

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 12:12:34 PM »
Yup, that's the correct time.  Basically you're steaming them for 90 minutes, and that's what makes them fall-off-the-bone tender.  Then the additional hour after you dunk them in the sauce bakes that flavor in. 

You can do these the same way in the house oven at 300, but it's not quite the same, not as much fun, and you don't get to play with fire. 

You can use any rub you want, any sauce you want.  It's not a recipe as much as a method.  We sometimes use boneless ribs, and we've done both beef and pork bone-in ribs too.  Use what you want for meat.  No doubt it'll turn out great. 

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »
OMG!!! Sounds AWESOME!!!!!!!

thanks so much,we will be doing this,another great camping food.

Got this and your site bookmarked,cant wait to get thru it.

Made my day,I too LOVE everything about the Dutch Oven.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline GrillinBWCA

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 03:50:48 PM »
Just to clarify, the site with the DO instructions is a cookbooklet that our friends, Dutch and Sandy, wrote for beginner DO cooks.  It's part of the Lone Star DO Society in Texas.  We've had the privilege of camping and cooking with Sandy and Dutch several times.  They're great people!  I don't want any confusion giving me credit for their work!  :D

I've taught some DO classes at a local state park though, so I know a little bit.  I haven't done much DO cooking the past couple years.  We tend to do vacations these days with long driving days and lots of overnight stops, so dragging out all the DO gear usually sounds like more work than it's worth when we've been sitting in the truck all day and we're tired.  We haven't been anywhere for several years where we just park the camper and stay in one place very long.  I should do more DO cooking at home to make up for it, I guess.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 04:23:07 PM »
I used to do ribs using an almost identical method in our dutch oven while camping.  The only difference was I'd transfer them directly over charcoals to sauce them so they could pick up a smoky flavor.  They were always really nice and tender doing them this way.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 04:47:31 PM »
Need some pics of those ribs!!! I like to try different methods of cooking ribs or any pork rather than the standard BBQ most use, keeps it interesting. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 04:49:02 PM »
That sounds real good! Bookmarked!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 02:31:07 PM »
Sounds like a great recipe for DO, will have to try it.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 02:50:28 PM »
This sounds fantastic. Crying out for some pictures or better yet a video!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #