Author Topic: Rib conundrum  (Read 470 times)

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
Rib conundrum
« Reply #-1 on: July 02, 2014, 07:11:50 PM »
I almost always do loin back ribs (3+ pounders) this way – 3 hours at 225-230° on the MAK, foil with apple juice and into the oven at 225-230° for 2 hours, open foil and sauce, and usually another 30 min. in the oven depending on size and doneness.  I almost always get ribs with a slight tug, hardly ever “fall off the bone”.

Yesterday I did 3 racks and because it was so hot here I decided not to use the oven.  I foiled and put them back on the MAK for the 2-hour portion.  At 2 hours I removed to sauce and they were all way overdone; I couldn't pick them up without them breaking.  There was almost no fluid in the foil (always is 1-2 oz. from the oven) and the foil was dark with burn stains.

Because of the indirect heat I’ve always thought of the MAK as being just like an oven but it was certainly different this time.  Has anyone experienced this kind of thing and can anyone tell me why the MAK didn’t act like my oven at the same temp?  Thanks.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline hikerman

Re: Rib conundrum
« on: July 02, 2014, 08:46:41 PM »
Are you certain that your grate-temp was the same as your setting?  Also it is a bit hotter over my firebowl than every where else.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:49:11 PM »
Your MAK works more like a convection oven.....the added air-flow will evaporate fluids faster, and decrease cook times by as much as 1/3.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 11:05:34 PM »
If you would have slid them out onto the rack and let them go for another 1/2 - 1 hour with sauce they usually stiffen back up
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 11:28:54 PM »
Your MAK works more like a convection oven.....the added air-flow will evaporate fluids faster, and decrease cook times by as much as 1/3.

Yep, with the fan forcing air, pellet grills are more like a convection oven than a regular oven.  I usually foil for about 1 to 1 1/4 hours on the MAK running at 250° - 275°. Try it and see if that works better for you.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:38:57 AM »
Thanks, guys.  It makes sense, now.  I should have thought of that since we have a convection oven, although I don't use convection on the ribs.  It's a good lesson learned, and we were able to choke down the ribs so it could have been worse.  Thanks.

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »
Good info, thanks for sharing.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 02:22:33 PM »
Q, when on the MAK are you on the lower or upper rack? I would think the upper rack would extend the time?
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 01:24:01 PM »
I use the lower rack.

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312