Author Topic: This is perfect for the 4th of July..Rick Monday saves the American Flag  (Read 546 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
This is perfect for the 4th of July..Rick Monday saves the American Flag
« Reply #-1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:06:12 AM »
Rick Monday is my favorite Dodger............because of this special moment when an American ball player saved Old Glory right in the middle of a baseball game. I remember watching it on the news the next day. It gave me goose bumps then and it gives me goose bumps now.

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Smoke thanks for sharing!

I was a year old so don't really remember that when it happened ;)

Hey.... Who's cutting onions? ::)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Smoke, Thanks.  Too many people disrespect the flag.  Some do it unintentionally like today there is a store's advertisement in the paper showing mason jars with the flag inside.  These people think they are being patriotic by this item but they are being disrespectful and they have never been taught better.

A year or so there was an ad for Academy Sports, a store I love, which was showing Dingo boots with images of the American flag on the souls (They also had some with the Texas flag on the souls) and we post about it on the CharBroil forum.  Capt Jack jumped on it as did TwoPockets and the ad was pulled.

It hurts me to see the flag disrespected since it means so much to so many of us...especially those who have seen it raised on the battlefield after a hard fought engagement.  One of the most hard tugging scenes in the movie, "We Were Soldiers Once", about the hard fought battle of the Idrang Valley in Viet Nam, was the one with a small American flag stuck up on the top of a small broken in half  tree.

The flag means so much for those who tear up at the singing of the Star Spangled Banner, God Bless America, and America the Beautiful...Hopefully, one day, more people will come to love the flag and for what she stands.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Glad to know you Dee.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
I was not quite 6 years old when that happened, so I only have faint memories of it happening at the time.  I have watched that video countless times though, and it still makes me both proud (of what he did) and ashamed (that he was the only one that did something and that someone was trying to desecrate the flag) at the same time.  I want to know who the idiots are who gave that a thumbs down on Youtube.  Here is a video that will bring out the onion cutting in you.

Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Pass the Kleenex please  :'(

I am feeling very Patriotic right now......time for some Hag

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
I remember the incident very well, it happened a few months after I joined the Air Force.  God Bless Rick Monday for saving Old Glory.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Thanks for sharing Smoke!  As an American and a veteran it pains me when I see the American Flag being desecrated and disrespected  :(

At the time of the incident, I was still in the Navy stationed in San Diego ... Been a Dodger fan since 1960 and I remember the incident well.  It was nice hearing Vince Scully's voice. 
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Smoke - thanks for sharing. I admit, I had forgotten about that incident - but it came roaring back with the video. Dee, I am one of those that tears up every time the Anthem is played.

What a great reminder for this weekend.

Thank you.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline jjjonz

Thanks smoke.....a true American hero !!!
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Perfect Smoke!!! I don't remember that so thanks for sharing!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Thank you very much Smoke for posting this! I was in the military at that time and I do remember
the incident!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Cinredman

The Star Spangled Banner - http://amhistory.si.edu/starspangledbanner/

Having never served in the armed forces, I am moved with emotion at each and every singing of our national anthem.  I proudly fly old glory on my home 365 days a year and the flag is properly illuminated at night.

IMHO - If you dislike this country so much that you wish to burn our flag, then please depart at the nearest border crossing. Trust me, there are plenty of people risking their lives to enter this great land and take your spot!

Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Smoke - thanks for sharing. I admit, I had forgotten about that incident - but it came roaring back with the video. Dee, I am one of those that tears up every time the Anthem is played.

What a great reminder for this weekend.

Thank you.

You can join me at any event that the Anthem is played and we can tear it up together. God Bless America does a number on my tear ducts too.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TwoPockets

Thanks for sharing that today Smoke and thanks to Dee and all the other heroes on this forum who have served our country.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware