Author Topic: How to cook a butt in an SRG  (Read 34813 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
How to cook a butt in an SRG
« Reply #-1 on: November 06, 2014, 07:45:16 PM »
Uncle Dee sent me a PM the other day and said CharBroil had sold a bunch of SRG on one of them Home Shopping T.V shows and hopefully we will pick up a few more members when these folks start to look for info on how to use them.

This thread is to tell how I cook a "Smoke Added" butt in an SRG.   I call it that since Since a true "Smoked" butt would require hours and hours at *225 with wood or charcoal and I cook 8 to 10 pound butts in 4 to 5 hrs with smoke added while it cooks.

Since the SRG is an infrared cooker you don't dry the meat out so cooking at higher temps is not that big of a deal and the results are wonderful.

So here is the way I cook a "Smoke Added" butt.

First get a good size butt and trim the fat cap down so you have less then a 1/4 in thick cap then score it like you would a ham before cooking.   This increases the surface area and lets the fat cap melt better. Thanks the Tenpoint5 for the hint  ;)

Rub the butt with CYM (cheap yellow mustard) then rub with your favorite rub (low sugar rubs work best)
Place in the center of the basket (if cooking just one) use the half racks to hold it in place.

Next use the smoker box by filling it up with chips or pellets and get it going good with the temp setting on "High" for about 15 mins.  Once it smoking good place the basket in the chamber and leave the temp on "High" setting for 10 to 15 mins more.  This starts a good bark on the outside of the butt.

Close the lid and set the setting to "Low" to Med/Low and make sure it's not a windy day    ???

Let it cook and keep an eye on the smoker box and add pellet/chips as needed.  Start watching IT after 3 hrs and you will notice there wil not be much of a stall like a real smoker.   When the IT hits 205 (trust me this is the ideal temp) pull the butt and let it rest in a cooler wrapped in two sheets of HD foil and towels.  After two hrs you can pull it and enjoy.

I have cooked 121 butts in infrared and found this to be the fastest and best way to do them fast.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: How to cook a butt in an SRG
« on: November 06, 2014, 09:15:36 PM »
Would this same procedure work in a BEESR?
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 09:29:21 PM »
See 15-10-8 method in this section
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 09:31:38 PM »
See 15-10-8 method in this section

Thanks, I saw it after I replied to this one.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 10:38:26 PM »
Thanks Tommy.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 10:41:59 PM »
While on high, is the lid open or closed?
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline pz

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 11:08:28 PM »
Thanks much, TMB; this is definitely bookmarked for me, and I'll be doing one I have in the freezer this weekend.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 08:27:05 AM »
While on high, is the lid open or closed?
Lid down entire cook
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline dms269

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 09:53:12 AM »
It is a great way to cook a boston butt. While I don't have as much experience as Tommy, I have done 3 and all of them have come out great. There is a slight smoky flavor to them (just part of the beast), but they pull-a-part so easily.

Offline Saphra3006

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 07:17:56 PM »
This post is awesome. I bought our SRG off one of those shopping networks, they had the best price :D

We are doing our first pork butt tomorrow for New Years Day. Plan to have it ready for the football games, along with hoppin' John and baked beans.

Can't wait to see how it turns out! Thanks for the recipe, TMB!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 01:05:14 PM »
This post is awesome. I bought our SRG off one of those shopping networks, they had the best price :D

We are doing our first pork butt tomorrow for New Years Day. Plan to have it ready for the football games, along with hoppin' John and baked beans.

Can't wait to see how it turns out! Thanks for the recipe, TMB!
great  let us know how it turns out
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Saphra3006

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 02:15:35 PM »
Been in the SRG about 3 hours and thermometer reads 151 degrees......

Offline Saphra3006

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 04:51:59 PM »
The hardest part of this process seems to be not snitching any during the two hour resting period :D

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 09:28:05 PM »
I did two for a after Christmas get together .....total weight 13lbs. I went right by Tommy's method..no sugar in the rub at all. The pulled pork sandwiches turned out great. The only problem I had was the bark turned out a little dark and crusty....almost a burnt taste. Once I cut the dark crust off ...I it looked like one that had been smoke on a WSM or something, but hard . I remind you I used rub with no sugar.... Any suggestions Tommy.
Another question...on one post  you say when it reaches 205 degrees wrap in foil in put it in a cooler for two hours before pulling. Another post you say when it reaches 205 pull it and let it rest on a platter before pulling it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:37:35 PM by jjjonz »
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 09:51:12 AM »
I did two for a after Christmas get together .....total weight 13lbs. I went right by Tommy's method..no sugar in the rub at all. The pulled pork sandwiches turned out great. The only problem I had was the bark turned out a little dark and crusty....almost a burnt taste. Once I cut the dark crust off ...I it looked like one that had been smoke on a WSM or something, but hard . I remind you I used rub with no sugar.... Any suggestions Tommy.
Another question...on one post  you say when it reaches 205 degrees wrap in foil in put it in a cooler for two hours before pulling. Another post you say when it reaches 205 pull it and let it rest on a platter before pulling it.
?? I don't remember that one but I could have said it.     I always pull then foil, towel and cooler for 2 hrs

As for the bark I don't know, did you use apple juice with the meat after you pulled it?    I use apple juice to mix the meat with so when I reheat the meat it has a type of gravy/sauce with it.  1/4 to 1/2 cup per butt

I have had the darker bark but with the juice added  it  turns out really good
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker