Author Topic: have big easy is it worth getting a SRG  (Read 4456 times)

Offline Ben Cartwright SASS

have big easy is it worth getting a SRG
« Reply #-1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:57:02 PM »
I have had a Big Easy for a couple years and really enjoy it.  I have been thinking about a SRG not for the smoking part, I have my WSM's, but for the frying and grilling.  Also it can do a big turkey.  The downside of that is it is mostly my wife and one kid still hanging at home.  We cook a 6 pound chicken and half of it left over.
  I have heard that you can get the grill to 600 degrees (?),  I tried putting a grate from my Weber Silver B on the Big Easy and it only got to about 400 degrees, so didn't try to sear the steak as my Weber grill was at 400 also.
   I like really crispy skin and heard my TBE puts out about 16,000 btu's and the SRG 18,000?  does that make that big a difference?

Here are some results of the TBE

22.5 WSM
14.5 WSM
mini-WSM
TBE
Weber Silver B (bought new 2000)
Weber OTG 22.5

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: have big easy is it worth getting a SRG
« on: January 15, 2016, 09:03:07 PM »
Just my personal thoughts...

I gave my brother one of the original Big Easy's... he has done the family turkeys for many years. I have an SRG based on his success. When we are together I think he can do almost everything I can do with his cooker vs. mine. Unless I really need a big turkey, or an adjustable flame, I would be happy with TBE.

I don't use the SRG for smoking - I have a smoker and a couple of charcoal grills that work well. Everyone has their "needs" and desires. For me, I like to use different tools for different cooks. So, if you look at my signature, you will see I have a few. Maybe more than a few (just ask my wife.)

But, if I had a Big Easy, a smoker and a grill, I would look at the PBC before doubling up.

Whatever you choose, keep posting and let us see what you cook! Thanks!

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 09:41:15 PM »
Just my personal thoughts...

I gave my brother one of the original Big Easy's... he has done the family turkeys for many years. I have an SRG based on his success. When we are together I think he can do almost everything I can do with his cooker vs. mine. Unless I really need a big turkey, or an adjustable flame, I would be happy with TBE.

I don't use the SRG for smoking - I have a smoker and a couple of charcoal grills that work well. Everyone has their "needs" and desires. For me, I like to use different tools for different cooks. So, if you look at my signature, you will see I have a few. Maybe more than a few (just ask my wife.)

But, if I had a Big Easy, a smoker and a grill, I would look at the PBC before doubling up.

Whatever you choose, keep posting and let us see what you cook! Thanks!

Have had both the BGE and SRG...And - I am in exact agreement with the good Dr.!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 03:15:06 AM »
If all you're looking for is a better sear, look into getting some Grill Grates. Tommy (TMB) should be along to address the rest of your question in depth. Listen to what he says; no one knows more about the BGE & SRG.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 07:44:29 AM »
Thank you guys.  I have to agree with you, it would be doubled up for no real reason. If we make more than a 15 pound bird the wife wants it done in the oven to get the turkey smells in the house.
  In fact when I do a 12 pounder in the TBE I have to do a second one in the oven to get the smells into the house.

as Commander Spock said
  "sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it is not logical but it is true"

Smoked 12 pounder

Got a second lid for my kettle use it for pizza

22.5 WSM
14.5 WSM
mini-WSM
TBE
Weber OTG 22.5

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 09:57:44 AM »
Great pictures - love those pizzas. Very clever mod for the pizzas!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 10:55:15 AM »
If all you're looking for is a better sear, look into getting some Grill Grates. Tommy (TMB) should be along to address the rest of your question in depth. Listen to what he says; no one knows more about the BGE & SRG.
Now your making me blush Turtle ;) ;)

The SRG is much better than the standard Big Easy in soooo many ways!

The unit is larger so you can cook two large chickens or butts if you wanted to, and even a bunch of ribs if you place them around the basket in a circle.    Although you said you have left over chicken, this is major selling point for some folks because they need a compact cooker that can cook two birds or even butts at the same time

The SRG can also be used as a grill that can exceed 600 degrees, mine go over 700 but mine have been modified to cook the way I want them to cook.  So searing a steak is no problem and if your into reverse searing it does a wonderful job.

The reason the Weber grate didn't work so good is the fact it's tube steel not the rib design of the SRG.  You see infrared just passes through the tube style grate where the infrared is caught by the ribs and holds it so heat is transfered to the grate causing VERY high temps yet your food wont dry out like it does with a standard grill.

Infact, the new infrared/charcoal grill made by CharBroil uses the same basic grate for the same reason.

You could however add GrillGrate's to you Big Easy and have a nice little grill but the SRG with the lid works much better

Although you have a pizza grill, the SRG can make some really good frozen pizzas and by adding a pizza stone a fresh pizza should not be out of the question.  I bought a Primo pizza stone so I can use my SRG as a pizza oven.  I was told the Primo stone will take 600 + degrees.  I hope they are right  ???   The SRG does put out 18,000 BTU's and the Big Easy 16,000, but with the increase in chamber size you need the extra BTU's

I hope this helps,

Tommy  (TMB)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 11:13:58 AM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Cinredman

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 11:22:05 AM »

Got a second lid for my kettle use it for pizza

Great idea - wish I had thought of it myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »
I cannot take credit for it, I found it on a site by Chad Chandler  He gives the entire how to.

http://chadchandler.com/modified-kettle-wood-fired-pizza-oven-part-1/

These pictures are courtesy of Chad Chandler, I got his ok before copying them.

22.5 WSM
14.5 WSM
mini-WSM
TBE
Weber OTG 22.5

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 01:47:02 PM »
One other thing, the temp of your stone is critical, more or less.  You need indirect fire banked to sides

Don't ask me how I know...  :P

22.5 WSM
14.5 WSM
mini-WSM
TBE
Weber OTG 22.5

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 02:48:42 PM »
One other thing, the temp of your stone is critical, more or less.  You need indirect fire banked to sides

Don't ask me how I know...  :P

Knowing what NOT to do is sometimes the most important fact ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 03:42:40 PM »
I have done steaks several times on the SRG and they have seared just fine. Tommy is right it's all about the SRG grate that traps the heat.  Great pics love the pizza mod.  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 07:25:35 PM »
I would give up  all my cookers before I gave up my SRG. I have two Big Easy's and never use them any more. I find I grill as much or more on the SRG than anything else it's usually just me and the wife.  It's easy to smoke while grilling just by throwing chips or pellets on the grill grate.  You can use the smoker box, or put pellets around the bottom, and/or use the Amazn Smoker.  In my opinion it is the most versetile cooker out there.
Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 01:08:28 PM »
I am up to 3 SRG's and have gotten rid of my 6 burner char broil because it never got used anymore, I use my Bradley for the heavy smokes but can do a light smoke in the SRG if I want to stay with one unit for the whole cook. You will like the sear of the SRG, my un-modified model gets to 650 degrees easily for a good sear.

Offline Cinredman

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 05:35:48 PM »
While I love my SRG, my "grill" experience is limited. Inside the chamber, you get radiant heat. But, with the grill grate, strikes me that a ton of energy is wasted.  Then again, I still have much to learn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)