Author Topic: Cold Smoked Cheeses?  (Read 4950 times)

Offline kcam1999

• Utah Valley Model A Club
Cold Smoked Cheeses?
« Reply #-1 on: October 26, 2018, 03:31:38 PM »
I was talking to a friend of mine that has the popular smoker 'that shall not be named' he was telling me for Christmas he does a cold smoked cheese assortment for Christmas gifts, has anybody tried this in their SRG? If so could you please let me know, I'd love to try it.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Cold Smoked Cheeses?
« on: October 26, 2018, 03:52:09 PM »
I was talking to a friend of mine that has the popular smoker 'that shall not be named' he was telling me for Christmas he does a cold smoked cheese assortment for Christmas gifts, has anybody tried this in their SRG? If so could you please let me know, I'd love to try it.
I have,but you have to use the SRG as a cold smoker.  Meaning DO NOT LITE IT to hot.  I used an A-Maze-N smoker tube with hickory pellets set the tube on the bottom of the SRG chamber lit and set the cheese blocks on the grilling grate (again do not lite) the temp will be warm so keep and eye on temp if possible use a pie pan with ice in it in your basket to keep temps below 90 or wait till it's 50 or below to cold smoke the cheese
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 04:21:21 PM »
what Tommy siad..plus I always let dry after smoking, a paper towel will help..then vacuum seal after, put the date on it for 1 month..then taste your cheeses.  Smoked cheese is killer..☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 08:07:59 AM »
If using A-Maze-N tube (as TMB suggests) it doesn't matter what vessel you do the cheese in provided it is outdoors. It was cool enough here the other morning I cold smoked a block of medium cheddar using apple pellets on our MAK 2 Star. Placed the cheese in the warming / smoke box on the side and let it run using the smoke setting for about 2 1/2 hours. Placed on counter to bring to room temperature, dried with paper towel and vacuum packed and into the garage fridge it went. Sampled a chunk about a week later as we had guests and it was very good but waiting longer like a month would yield a better flavor IMHO. Not a good idea to try it this way if the ambient temperatures are warm. When it warms up I use a knock off A-Maze-N tube to cold smoke.
MAK #3591

Offline kcam1999

• Utah Valley Model A Club
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 02:57:56 PM »
Thanks so much you guys, I'm very excited to try this! With the SRG (Not Lite) 2 1/2 hours is that the standard amount of time?

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 03:06:49 PM »
Thanks so much you guys, I'm very excited to try this! With the SRG (Not Lite) 2 1/2 hours is that the standard amount of time?
depends on how smoke you want in the cheese.  I normaly go 1 hr to 1.5
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 03:17:09 PM »
depends on how smoke you want in the cheese.  I normaly go 1 hr to 1.5
I do 2 hours but then I smoke a bunch at one time and start now in time for xmas .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 04:55:08 PM »
Two hrs. of smoke is plenty for cheese IMO. A milder wood is also preferable for cheese IMO. 90F max temperature, but I think the best smoking temp. for cheese is 60F. Let the cheese temper for an hour after smoking-right in the smoking vessel is ideal, just take away the smoke source. Vac pack and stick it in the back of your fridge for a month. Eat.  Don't touch the cheese with your bare hands. Bacteria present even after washing good will eventually start your cheese to mold inside the vac packed bags. You can cold smoke in any container that fits your purpose. A wardrobe moving box with an amazen tube smoker standing in a metal can, and a way to hold the cheese racks will even work.