Author Topic: Recommended Accessories for The Big Easy for a newbie?  (Read 6181 times)

Offline JaneD

Recommended Accessories for The Big Easy for a newbie?
« Reply #-1 on: November 03, 2018, 07:07:30 PM »
I just got a The Big Easy (NOT the smoker kind) and am wondering what accessories you feel are "must have" for you and why.

I'm trying NOT to buy all the accessories available right off the bat haha, but am torn between the "Bunk Bed Basket" vs, the "Leg Rack" vs the "22 piece accessory kit with Kabobs and rib hooks".

My first foray into cooking with it was to cook 7 Chicken leg quarters (drumstick + thigh), and they came out beautiful and juicy. The skin was a bit more "hard/chewy" than crispy, I'm wondering if I wasn't supposed to leave the lid on the whole time it was cooking, which was about an hour total. Also, I had to squeeze them all into the bottom of the one basket it comes with - so maybe that was an issue? Also, I didn't dry the chicken, just pulled it out of the pack from the store and put them in, are you supposed to make sure it's really dry or oil it or anything?

Overall I'm very excited to use it again, especially for the thanksgiving turkey, which is why I bought it - to free up my oven for the rest of the food! :-)

Oh, 2 more things, if you have any input, my hubby thought the grill felt hotter on one side than the other, is that possible, should I check anything to make sure it's heating evenly? I read about spiders in the manual, but not sure if that would cause this issue.

Lastly, I normally brine my turkey when oven cooking it. Do you folks recommend that practice or not when cooking in the big easy?

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Recommended Accessories for The Big Easy for a newbie?
« on: November 04, 2018, 01:19:07 PM »
I’d get the leg holders for sure.  These can also be used to make bunk bed chicken since they are pretty much half racks anyway.  Now the 22 piece kit is really nice and on e you cook ribs in it you will love it!

As for one side hotter than the other?  Yes it does happen, so make sure your chamber is well seasoned and look at the flame to make sure it’s even all the way around the ring.  If it’s not equal all the way around you might have other issues
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline JaneD

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 11:08:40 AM »
Awesome, leg holders are the first then. :-)

I pulled out the liner & turned it on and all the holes are working, right where the fire comes in the flames are a bit higher, not sure if that's an issue. Also, i bought the grill used, and I'm not sure if they seasoned it, is that something I should try to do now? I looked in the manual but don't see any instructions on how to do it.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:23:44 AM »
Awesome, leg holders are the first then. :-)

I pulled out the liner & turned it on and all the holes are working, right where the fire comes in the flames are a bit higher, not sure if that's an issue. Also, i bought the grill used, and I'm not sure if they seasoned it, is that something I should try to do now? I looked in the manual but don't see any instructions on how to do it.
fire from the 5 O'clock spot is normal.  Yes clean and reseason with a good oil don't use Pam spray or anything like it oil a good oil like peanut oil wipe the sides good and fire it up for 20 mins or so then let cool then wipe oil on the sides again

Please feel free to ask any questions or if need be PM me

Tommy (TMB)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline kcam1999

• Utah Valley Model A Club
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 03:03:30 PM »
I would have to echo what TMB I love the 22 piece kit, I find that I I'm using the rib hooks, and the Kabobs far more then I thought I would!

Offline motznarf

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 08:08:15 PM »
Thanks for the great advice, what is best place place to get the rib hooks?

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 07:59:39 AM »
Thanks for the great advice, what is best place place to get the rib hooks?
Lowes at one time had them along with other accessories but not sure now. 

Amazon or CharBroil sites would have them
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline motznarf

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 07:04:57 PM »
Thanks!