Author Topic: Tips for getting started with the SRG  (Read 9986 times)

Offline BCG

Tips for getting started with the SRG
« Reply #-1 on: November 11, 2019, 09:11:43 PM »
Evening all,

I’m new to the forum and after my intro post earlier, Tommy suggested I post here for tips on getting started with the SRG.
I don’t have mine yet, but will be grabbing one this weekend and hopefully prepping to do the Thanksgiving bird with it for a Friendsgiving.

I came across the forum while searching for reviews and came across much more info than I was counting on, which put me over the edge to decide on grabbing one. The fact that so many people rave about it and there is a community like this to share ideas with was the deciding factor.

I’m sure I’ll have tons of questions as I try and figure out what all I’ll be able to do with this thing, but I’ll start with the basics of what I need to know for Thanksgiving.

From what I’ve gathered so far, I need to season it, which seems pretty straight forward. Similar process to what I’d do with my cast iron if I’m reading some of these posts correctly.

I also saw it mentioned that it’s probably a good idea to do a couple of test runs with a rotisserie size chicken or two before the turkey to get an idea of how everything works, which seems like a great idea to me.

Here’s what I’m not sure on...

I’ve seen the Pit Barrel Co Turkey Hanger mentioned in several different posts. Does it work well with the lid closed, or will I need to keep the lid propped open for it to fit in there?

That brings me to my second question.
I’m shooting to do an air-fried style turkey (not using smoke.) I’ll probably do a Cajun rub and injection. Do I want to do the lid open, closed, some of both? What kind of temp settings should I be looking at on the cooker to get a juicy bird with crispy skin? I’ll make sure to use a probe thermometer for internal temp.

I’ve also seen the mesh lid mentioned in several posts (am I getting posts for the air fryer confused with the SRG?) Or does the mesh lid for the air fryer work with the SRG as well and just purchased separately?

I’ve looked at a few of Tommy’s mods, but I think I’ll take his advice I saw in one of his posts and start with it stock and get to know how it cooks that way first, so I can know how the mods are changing things. However, I’m a tinkerer by nature, so I’m sure I’ll get impatient quickly, haha.

Anything else that you all would consider vital, need to know info that would make the difference between a great turkey and needing to run out for Chinese Takeout?

P.S. I’m sure I can find most of these answers on existing posts, and I’ll definitely spend some time looking around, but I thought this was a good way to introduce myself and start interacting and contributing to the conversations here.

From what I can tell in existing posts, this seems like a great group and I’m looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 04:09:37 PM by BCG »

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Tips for getting started with the SRG
« on: November 12, 2019, 12:48:33 AM »
Your gonna love that SRG..I had 3 but sold one..do a test run tho and season the inside of the barrel, don't forget to oil the cage that the turkey goes in..I usually stick with about a 14# turkey also..season it well, I don't use herbs on the outside because they burn, my best injecting is just butter and gahhlick..no vampires in my house..flavored injection is good I use the Tony Cachere. I turn mine breast side down and put a lemon inside. Good luck  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline BCG

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 11:53:00 AM »
Your gonna love that SRG..I had 3 but sold one..do a test run tho and season the inside of the barrel, don't forget to oil the cage that the turkey goes in..I usually stick with about a 14# turkey also..season it well, I don't use herbs on the outside because they burn, my best injecting is just butter and gahhlick..no vampires in my house..flavored injection is good I use the Tony Cachere. I turn mine breast side down and put a lemon inside. Good luck  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Thanks Pam!

I’ve seen a few posts mentioning putting poultry in legs up to get the dark meat more into the high heat area, so I’ll definitely be taking advantage of y’alls wisdom on that one.

What ratio of garlic to butter have you found works best for you for injection? Also, do you prefer using garlic powder or minced/crushed fresh?

Does the lemon add flavor you like, help keep some moisture in there, or both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 12:05:22 PM »
I'd start with a chicken or a beef roast for the first cook.  Not anything fancy but get you going you know

Now, I do what I call a two stick turkey.      It's melting two sticks butter and mixing in you rub (use a low sugar rub) about 2 or 3 Tbs , let it meld for a few and cool down a little but warm enough to inject into a turkey.

I use all but about 1/2 cup and inject all over the turkey or even a chicken.  I use the last part of melted butter to brush the bird down with near the end of the cook.

I also find if you cook it to the 165 IT  then turn the unit off but leave the bird in the SRG (instead of rest on a counter)  lid up the skin will be very crispy.   Rest time inside chamber when done about 15 mins or so

Here is what you can end up with
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline BCG

Tips for getting started with the SRG
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 02:53:11 PM »
I'd start with a chicken or a beef roast for the first cook.  Not anything fancy but get you going you know

Now, I do what I call a two stick turkey.      It's melting two sticks butter and mixing in you rub (use a low sugar rub) about 2 or 3 Tbs , let it meld for a few and cool down a little but warm enough to inject into a turkey.

I use all but about 1/2 cup and inject all over the turkey or even a chicken.  I use the last part of melted butter to brush the bird down with near the end of the cook.

I also find if you cook it to the 165 IT  then turn the unit off but leave the bird in the SRG (instead of rest on a counter)  lid up the skin will be very crispy.   Rest time inside chamber when done about 15 mins or so

Tommy,

I definitely like the idea of putting a little of the rub I'm using into my injection mix; makes sense in keeping flavors consistent. And great tip on leaving it in the cooker to rest, my natural inclination definitely would've been to take it out and set it on the counter, but I can see how leaving it in the SRG would keep warm/dry air around it to add that final crisp on the skin.

Any thoughts on burner setting and average cook time? I know I'll let the IT on the meat thermometer be my ultimate guide, but just trying to get a rough idea of mins/pound so we can coordinate sides and everything finishing together. On that same note, when you're using it to air fry a turkey, do you keep the lid open or closed?

Can't wait to get my hands on this thing in a few days!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 03:12:36 PM by BCG »

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 03:12:35 PM »

Tommy,

I definitely like the idea of putting a little of the rub I'm using into my injection mix; makes sense in keeping flavors consistent. And great tip on leaving it in the cooker to rest, my natural inclination definitely would've been to take it out and set it on the counter, but I can see how leaving it in the SRG would keep warm/dry air around it to add that final crisp on the skin.

Any thoughts on burner setting and average cook time? I know I'll let the IT on the meat thermometer be my ultimate guide, but just trying to get a rough idea of mins/pound so we can coordinate sides and everything finishing together. On that same note, when you're using it to air fry a turkey, do you keep the lid open or closed?

Can't wit to get my hands on this thing in a few days!
As for time?  Meat is done when it wants to be so keep an open mind on that thought.   CharBroil states 10 miins per pound BUT that is not always the case trust me  ;)

A 10 lb to 12 lb bird that's injected can take anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hrs  to reach the 165 IT white meat and 175 or so dark meat.   Now given the outside temp, wind and temp of the bird going in wil very.   So use a good thermometer like a Maverick or something like it and keep your eyes on open for the IT!   when your at temp or just before say 161 then turn unit off and let it sit in the chamber to rest LID UP.

As for cooking I put the lid down til the IT is getting close say 155 or so then I open the lid and start brushing with the extra butter.   USE A LONG HANDLE BRUSH!!!  Trust me on this :D :D :D ???

With infrared you can cook lid open or closed because infrared cooks different then a regular cooker so lid up won't hurt a thing.  I use pellets to add smoke so I go lid down to retain as much smoke as I can, just like when I cook pork butts (I have well over 150+) in my units so far  :) 

Burner setting HIGH for the cook UNLESS I'm trying to add a lot of smoke then HIGH for 15 mins to get pellets smoking then I turn to MED to cook (this will add extra time to the cook but you end up with a close to smoked bird!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline BCG

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 04:11:06 PM »

Tommy,

Can't wit to get my hands on this thing in a few days!
As for time?  Meat is done when it wants to be so keep an open mind on that thought.   CharBroil states 10 miins per pound BUT that is not always the case trust me  ;)

A 10 lb to 12 lb bird that's injected can take anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hrs  to reach the 165 IT white meat and 175 or so dark meat.   Now given the outside temp, wind and temp of the bird going in wil very.   So use a good thermometer like a Maverick or something like it and keep your eyes on open for the IT!   when your at temp or just before say 161 then turn unit off and let it sit in the chamber to rest LID UP.

As for cooking I put the lid down til the IT is getting close say 155 or so then I open the lid and start brushing with the extra butter.   USE A LONG HANDLE BRUSH!!!  Trust me on this :D :D :D ???

With infrared you can cook lid open or closed because infrared cooks different then a regular cooker so lid up won't hurt a thing.  I use pellets to add smoke so I go lid down to retain as much smoke as I can, just like when I cook pork butts (I have well over 150+) in my units so far  :) 

Burner setting HIGH for the cook UNLESS I'm trying to add a lot of smoke then HIGH for 15 mins to get pellets smoking then I turn to MED to cook (this will add extra time to the cook but you end up with a close to smoked bird!

Thanks a ton, sir!

I'll share the results of my test cook(s) and Thanksgiving cook once I get a chance to play with it.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 04:25:58 PM »
Remember use a good thermometer, season the chamber with a good oil like peanut or something high heat and practice with 3 to 5 lb chickens to start! 

good luck
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline GG-STL

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 05:05:14 PM »
Thank You ALL for the GREAT information and ideas over the years, I have been around since the Char-Broil forum. I do all my cooks in my SRG and smokes in the BEESR.

I have a SRG turkey question. Has anyone ever cut the legs and wings off the whole turkey and cook the body in one cook and the legs and wings in a separate second cook.

Thanks
Gary
GG-STL

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 08:01:23 AM »
Thank You ALL for the GREAT information and ideas over the years, I have been around since the Char-Broil forum. I do all my cooks in my SRG and smokes in the BEESR.

I have a SRG turkey question. Has anyone ever cut the legs and wings off the whole turkey and cook the body in one cook and the legs and wings in a separate second cook.

Thanks
Gary
That's one thing I have not tried  :) But sounds like an Idea!        If you do the cook please post I for one would love to see the results ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 08:07:02 AM »
One thing that can be done if you want a real smoked/fried turkey or yardbird.   

Set the bird in a smoker like a Bradley, Master Built, Weber or whatever you may have and start the cook by smoking the bird till an IT of around 120 then place in the SRG to finish

Works great  :thumbup:   

This type cook work great when using a turky holder from a oil cooker.   Just have something on the bottom of the SRG to hold the holder off the bottom. 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline GG-STL

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 09:14:01 AM »
I hope to give it try this weekend or next and I will report back.
GG-STL

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 09:18:07 AM »
I hope to give it try this weekend or next and I will report back.
GG, you ever try the 15-10-8 method in your BEESR?   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline GG-STL

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 04:13:59 PM »
I have done the 15-10-8, but it has been a while. I just picked up a 14-lb turkey for $0.59/lb. I am going to use the SRG with smoker box for this first cut up cook. I will report back.

Thanks for the help.
GG
GG-STL

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 04:17:57 PM »
I have done the 15-10-8, but it has been a while. I just picked up a 14-lb turkey for $0.59/lb. I am going to use the SRG with smoker box for this first cut up cook. I will report back.

Thanks for the help.
GG
Can't wait!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker