Author Topic: Getting ready for my first whole chicken cook  (Read 6009 times)

Offline BCG

Getting ready for my first whole chicken cook
« Reply #-1 on: November 17, 2019, 04:07:13 PM »
Got my SRG yesterday and spent the afternoon seasoning the cook chamber. Doing that didn’t leave me much time to prep a bird, but I did throw on some burgers (which came out great.)

After I got home from church today, I decided to get to work on getting things ready for my practice chicken ahead of the Thanksgiving Turkey.

First step was to cut a cheap piece of rebar to length to use as a crossbar for my turkey hanger and season it to keep it from rusting.

Then I got to work on the chicken, mixing up a cajun rub and an injection using half of Tommy’s two stick method.

Letting all that set up for a bit and I’ll throw it on to cook up later this evening. I’ll make sure to post the results.

Thanks for all the tips everyone’s given so far, it’s helped a ton already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 05:30:12 PM by BCG »

Offline BCG

Re: Getting ready for my first whole chicken cook
« on: November 17, 2019, 04:09:37 PM »
Any tips on how to get those images to show up in the post instead of just links? Haha

Offline BCG

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 07:31:05 PM »
Chicken’s on for the cook. Here goes nothin’

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 05:30:58 PM by BCG »

Offline BCG

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 09:47:22 PM »
Final Result

The wife said this was better than any rotisserie chicken she’s ever had, so I’ll call that a win for my first time out. Got 1 more chicken to play around with for a second test cook before Thanksgiving, so I’ll use that to try to iron out the 1 or 2 kinks I ran into this go round.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 05:31:33 PM by BCG »

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 07:52:06 AM »
Looks realy good!    That SRG is one great cooker :thumbup:

As for the photos Im not sure but someone here will know. 

I will ask why the foil on the bottom of the chamber?   You got to be careful of grease/oil collecting on the bottom and causing a fire   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline BCG

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 08:32:05 AM »
Just trying to make for easy cleanup with the foil. I did my best to press it down smoothly against the bottom (except where the edges ruffled a bit) and made sure to punch a hole through the center to match the cook chamber so the grease and drippings seem to still flow into the drip pan pretty well. I plan on swapping it each cook or two to prevent grease buildup.

I’m sure I’ll give up eventually and just let it go without the lining, but wanted to try and keep the bottom as clean as possible at least thru Thanksgiving as we want try to use any Turkey drippings for gravy and I didn’t think Amy would take kindly to her gravy containing old burger and chicken residue

It was a little late last night by the time I got done with the chicken, so I didn’t get a chance go pull up the foil and see how it did keeping them bottom clean, but I’ll check it after work today.

Thanks again for sharing your experience. The 2-stick injection (or 1-stick in our case) was our favorite part of the whole thing.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 08:37:15 AM »
Just trying to make for easy cleanup with the foil. I did my best to press it down smoothly against the bottom (except where the edges ruffled a bit) and made sure to punch a hole through the center to match the cook chamber so the grease and drippings seem to still flow into the drip pan pretty well. I plan on swapping it each cook or two to prevent grease buildup.

I’m sure I’ll give up eventually and just let it go without the lining, but wanted to try and keep the bottom as clean as possible at least thru Thanksgiving as we want try to use any Turkey drippings for gravy and I didn’t think Amy would take kindly to her gravy containing old burger and chicken residue

It was a little late last night by the time I got done with the chicken, so I didn’t get a chance go pull up the foil and see how it did keeping them bottom clean, but I’ll check it after work today.

Thanks again for sharing your experience. The 2-stick injection (or 1-stick in our case) was our favorite part of the whole thing.
Good deal!    Believe me not knocking you for the foil but making sure you have the best possible cooks everytime.

I have had my share of fires in mine  ??? and they ain't fun  :(

Glad you enjoyed the 2 stick idea I love it myself  :D :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline BCG

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 09:04:55 AM »
Good looking out!

I suppose that it wouldn’t be very hard for grease to get caught btwn the foil and the chamber and ignite with as hot as that thing seems to get. Definitely something to keep an eye on. I might have a hard time convincing the wife to let me get a second one if I burn out the first one right outta the gate.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 09:33:24 AM »
Good looking out!

I suppose that it wouldn’t be very hard for grease to get caught btwn the foil and the chamber and ignite with as hot as that thing seems to get. Definitely something to keep an eye on. I might have a hard time convincing the wife to let me get a second one if I burn out the first one right outta the gate.
If you were to have a flame up it would cook the bird to "Kimmie done" my better half.  She like burnt food  :-[

I mean hotdogs at can stand on their own or a steak that so dark it looks like a hunk of char-coal  ??? ??? ???
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Roget

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 03:25:45 PM »
Looks good to me.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG