Author Topic: Any tips for a LARGE Thanksgiving bird?  (Read 5999 times)

Offline jetfixr

Any tips for a LARGE Thanksgiving bird?
« Reply #-1 on: November 18, 2019, 04:12:59 PM »
I have searched the forums and scoured youtube for videos and most folks are doing 15 & 16 pound birds.  I typically have a crowd for Thanksgiving and the 20-23 pounders work best for me.  I have heard some folks leave the lid open while others close the lid, and some close the lid for part of the time.  Since this is my first SRG, I am just wondering what would give the best results for a larger bird?  I know it will need to cook longer but not sure how to cook it that long without it coming off of the grill without  the skin being severely blackened and burnt?

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Any tips for a LARGE Thanksgiving bird?
« on: November 19, 2019, 08:16:01 AM »
Well I have cooked a turkey as large as 15 lb but never larger.   

I would tell you for starters is it get a turkey holder like you would use for an oil fryer and tie the legs and wings back so there are not up on the sides of the chamber or they will burn.

Next,  use a rub that's low in sugar or it will burn and since you gonna be cooking for awhile it's more important then ever!  :D

Now as for lid up or down??   I cook mine lid down for most of the cook then lift near the end and then I turn off unit and let it rest in the chamber lid up to crisp the skin.  I lift lid somewhere around 150 to 155 IT in the breast.

if your adding wood chips/pellets then you need to get them going first then set the bird in (setting HIGH)   if you want more smoke then turn down to MED or so after you get the wood/pellets going  and finish the cook till 165 in the breast and at least 170 to 175 in the dark meat

I always use the two stick method on Turkeys and chickens , I do beer can sometimes as well but only for chickens
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline burkely

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 04:47:44 PM »
I have done 19 lb'ers in TBE several times and they turned out great.
I'm cooking a 19.5 lb'er tomorrow morning for our work party but instead of using the basket, I'm going to somehow hang it (not sure how yet) so it won't be as difficult to get it out of the basket.
Expecting around 4+ hours to get to 165 with the lid on the whole time.
I usually rotate it every 30 minutes or so...not sure I really need to, but it can't hurt.
If I can get that size with the basket, I'm sure you can get 21-22 if you suspend it somehow.

For Thanksgiving Day, I'm thinking about doing something small (small family crowd this year) with a bacon mesh...not sure if I'll get a small turkey or just a turkey breast.

Best of luck with yours and Happy Thanksgiving.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 09:30:31 PM »
Use a turkey holder from a deep fryer you will great

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline burkely

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 07:51:35 AM »
Thanks. 
I picked one up from Lowes last night.
Correction about the size...the 19 lb bird is about all that will fit...maybe 20 if you tie it up nice and tight.
Loaded the work turkey in TBE at 7 this morning...trying to figure out how to upload pictures.

Offline burkely

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 08:04:53 AM »

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 08:22:01 AM »
https://postimg.cc/NKdpL6z7
That did open and lookingh good.

Sorry about the short reply, I had to use my stupid phone instead of a real computer... 

I hate using my phone, but figured you need a fast reply.       I have seen  22 lb turkeys in a Big Easy but they were tied up very tight to keep legs and wins in  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline burkely

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 01:40:18 PM »
This one is in the books...nothing left.

https://postimg.cc/TpsVKnMn

Charbroil should ditch the basket idea (I suppose it's good for wings and ribs) and include one of these hooks and a piece of rebar...1000% easier than dealing with the basket and cleans up in about 15 seconds. 
I may try to enlarge two holes in the inner chamber and cut down my rebar so that it will slide in the larger holes...that would allow the lid to sit flush.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LoCo-COOKERS-Cast-Iron-Rack-for-Turkey-Fryer/1000624949?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-sol-_-google-_-lia-_-119-_-grills-_-1000624949-_-0&store_code=1503&cm_mmc=src-_-c-_-prd-_-sol-_-google-_-seasonal_and_outdoor_living-_-MHLIA_SOL_Seasonal%20And%20Outdoor%20Living_High%20Priority-_--_-0-_-0&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk7TuBRDQARIsAMRrfUbB_7ieBfpU3ivLIXPpy2-70b_EovOyvEW4c_uBVioska8xpsEWHrwaAlYrEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 04:27:46 PM by burkely »