Author Topic: First Pork Butt on the SRG  (Read 7105 times)

Offline BCG

First Pork Butt on the SRG
« Reply #-1 on: March 01, 2020, 02:36:30 PM »
Just threw my first pork butt on using Tommy’s instructions, this is after the first 15-minutes on high to help get the bark going.

Looking forward to testing the results with some pulled pork sandwiches later tonight and pork tacos for taco Tuesday.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: First Pork Butt on the SRG
« on: March 01, 2020, 05:18:01 PM »
Looks good so far ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline BCG

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 07:36:13 PM »
Currently at 5-1/2 hours and still only at 188°
Might have to make other plans for tonight’s dinner, lol

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 07:56:41 PM »
You're almost there! Looking forward to hear how it turned out.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 08:57:35 AM »
Question,  did you cook lid up or down?  What was the temp and was it windy??
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline BCG

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 08:59:09 AM »
Hey Tommy,
I did lid down and was on low for most of the cook (after the first 15 mins on high). For probably the last 45 mins or so, I did kick it more towards medium-low just to speed things up a bit.

I think we were around 45-50 here on Sunday. Maybe a bit of a breeze, but nothing crazy.

Unexpectedly long cook time aside, it turned out incredible. It broke apart into 3 chunks on its own just trying to get it out of the basket and then after we let it rest wrapped up, we barely had to pull at it with a fork to shred it.

We had pulled pork sliders from it Mon night and then Tues I threw some in a pan and “braised” it with a little beer and garlic for a makeshift version of carnitas tacos. Both meals were delicious!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 09:14:05 AM »
Hey Tommy,
I did lid down and was on low for most of the cook (after the first 15 mins on high). For probably the last 45 mins or so, I did kick it more towards medium-low just to speed things up a bit.

I think we were around 45-50 here on Sunday. Maybe a bit of a breeze, but nothing crazy.

Unexpectedly long cook time aside, it turned out incredible. It broke apart into 3 chunks on its own just trying to get it out of the basket and then after we let it rest wrapped up, we barely had to pull at it with a fork to shred it.

We had pulled pork sliders from it Mon night and then Tues I threw some in a pan and “braised” it with a little beer and garlic for a makeshift version of carnitas tacos. Both meals were delicious!
Great glad it worked for you  :thumbup:      Now if you plan on doing more of these type cooks you might want to order another basket and turn it into a "Butt Basket"  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline BCG

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 10:33:55 AM »
Hey Tommy,

Great glad it worked for you  :thumbup:      Now if you plan on doing more of these type cooks you might want to order another basket and turn it into a "Butt Basket"  ;)

Good call, I saw someone post a few weeks ago that they’re super cheap on the char broil site.

On that note... do you know if they make the chicken leg racks to fir the srg basket?

I ordered one of the big easy accessory kits with the rib hooks, leg racks, etc., but it seems the basket for the air fryer must be smaller in diameter, because the racks were too small in diameter to hook onto my SRG basket

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 12:35:55 PM »
Hey Tommy,

Good call, I saw someone post a few weeks ago that they’re super cheap on the char broil site.

On that note... do you know if they make the chicken leg racks to fir the srg basket?

I ordered one of the big easy accessory kits with the rib hooks, leg racks, etc., but it seems the basket for the air fryer must be smaller in diameter, because the racks were too small in diameter to hook onto my SRG basket
TBE and SRG are different in size.   The leg racks would not fit because of the different size, but if you need to you can trim the SRG rack to fit legs in it somewhat

It would be worth a look to see if they make SRG racks for that.  I always lay my legs down on my rack and use my leg basket to move them around
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker