Spriited Discussions > SPIRITED DISCUSSIONS

Clear Ice for my Old Fashioned

(1/4) > >>

ronman451:
Since I'm hunkered down at home, I thought I'd step up my bartending game a little and try my hand at making clear ice. I sometimes hear it called large form factor clear ice or even artisanal clear ice. It's pretty easy to do and uses a technique called directional freezing. In a nutshell, you freeze the water in a container of some kind, with the sides and bottom insulated and the top uninsulated. This causes the water to freeze from the top down. A regular ice cube freezes from all sides, from the outside-in, causing the gases in the water to be trapped in the middle, making cloudy ice. Long story short, I filled my little Coleman lunchbox cooler about 3/4 of the way with the top removed and froze it for about 24 hours. You don't want all the water to freeze, only the top few inches, which will be clear.

There are lots of YouTube videos showing this technique. Here's a fun one that I followed:

Into the deep freezer...

Here's the clear block that resulted

And the payoff... An Old Fashioned for me and a Vodka Soda for my wife.

bamabob:
Looks good, easy way to do it.

Lines:
Ice, Ice, Baby!

Pappymn:
Nobody said their was going to be science here. My head hurts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokeasaurus:

--- Quote from: Pappymn on July 25, 2020, 06:38:08 PM ---Nobody said their was going to be science here. My head hurts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

You will be Ok Pappy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version