Author Topic: PERFECT Porterhouses, smoked (technique)  (Read 15216 times)

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
PERFECT Porterhouses, smoked (technique)
« Reply #-1 on: April 09, 2018, 01:01:41 PM »
Kenji, Alton, and Meathead are my go to guys for food science.  And Kenji did not disappoint with these slow smoked porterhouses, my favorite and the king of steaks.  His technique makes use in a kettle unit. I can only imagine it being even better in a pellet unit. 

In a pellet smoker would propping up the steaks as shown in the article actually be beneficial in the controlled environment?  And what wood species would best compliment the flavor of the strip, and the delicateness of the filet? Cherry? And would you use the lowest possibly temp, 170?

The pictures make me want to eat my screen.   

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/the-food-lab-slow-smoked-40-ounce-dry-aged-porterhouse-steak.html

MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: PERFECT Porterhouses, smoked (technique)
« on: April 09, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »
Unless those were cold smoked first, then Sous Vide cooked...Then finished on a HOT grill.... Then I will tell you that there are still things you will want to try before proclaiming "perfection" ;) ;D

Sous Vide IS the best way to cook meats - because nothing escapes. None of the flavors or aromas. Zero. If you have not tried it...you really owe it to yourself to explore and try. Cheap to do. 1 small appliance...usually about $100.  And - the possibilities to use it in conjunction with outdoor cooking are endless.

While LTBBQ does not toot it's own horn...I will promise you that there are more years of cooking science here in our members - than you will find elsewhere. Yeah...I am serious about that.

The difference tho, is WE will not put ourselves on a throne of authority. Bloggers - such as the ones you mentioned ARE the product that they have to sell, in order to make money.

Different different methods/business model. But - not really superior to what you have available on this board. There are many members here that are noted authors in the BBQ world. We even have a couple of PhB holders ( KCBS has a real education program for a Doctorate in BBQ - no joke...) As well - we have on board Phd.s in food chemistry.

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Roget

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 04:35:46 PM »
I don't know about the science of it, but those sure look good.
I will agree with T concerning the Sous Vide. I do meat many different ways but Sous Vide is hard to beat.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 05:07:22 PM »
I prefer the reverse sear method as well as sous vide, A good steak is one meat I personally prefer to taste the meat rather than a heavy smoke or seasoning.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline RAD

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 05:25:39 PM »
Kenji, Alton, and Meathead are my go to guys for food science.  And Kenji did not disappoint with these slow smoked porterhouses, my favorite and the king of steaks.  His technique makes use in a kettle unit. I can only imagine it being even better in a pellet unit. 

In a pellet smoker would propping up the steaks as shown in the article actually be beneficial in the controlled environment?  And what wood species would best compliment the flavor of the strip, and the delicateness of the filet? Cherry? And would you use the lowest possibly temp, 170?

The pictures make me want to eat my screen.   

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/the-food-lab-slow-smoked-40-ounce-dry-aged-porterhouse-steak.html

Those are great looking steaks.

I've done steaks over an inch thick this way since getting the SnS and always have great results. A couple of things I like to do different based on the ABC site is to leave the dry brine overnight, use their cold grate method, and don't close the lid.  Interesting method using the skewers to keep them upright.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Roget

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 05:36:25 PM »
I prefer the reverse sear method as well as sous vide, A good steak is one meat I personally prefer to taste the meat rather than a heavy smoke or seasoning.

X2 !
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 06:15:02 PM »
I suck at grilling. And several years ago I got an Anova.  My steak game is light years ahead of what it used to be.  I've never had a smoked steak before. I called this perfection because that mahogany crust is just gorgeous. The one down side to sous vide compared to this method is the steak exterior is not completely dry when you go to sear. Paper towels can only do so much. I would imagine with this method it is a lot dryer and less chance of partially steaming the outside before a crust can set in. This in turn means you have to sear long and potentially overcooking the interior. I have read articles of people pre searing a slightly frozen steak and then putting it in the sous vide, then a final sear. I haven't tried this method. 
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »
I suck at grilling. And several years ago I got an Anova.  My steak game is light years ahead of what it used to be.  I've never had a smoked steak before. I called this perfection because that mahogany crust is just gorgeous. The one down side to sous vide compared to this method is the steak exterior is not completely dry when you go to sear. Paper towels can only do so much. I would imagine with this method it is a lot dryer and less chance of partially steaming the outside before a crust can set in. This in turn means you have to sear long and potentially overcooking the interior. I have read articles of people pre searing a slightly frozen steak and then putting it in the sous vide, then a final sear. I haven't tried this method.

The steaks in your picture are beautiful - my apologies....I meant to commend you on that first.... Just not enough sleep and short on caffeine.
I have found that using a griddle - or a MAPP gas torch can produce a good sear. But -t he amount of moisture when cooked Sous Vide does inhibit that "picture perfect" look....takes some practice to find the balance we each like the best. Butt he experimenting is all the fun. ;) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401