Author Topic: 96 hour Chuck Roast Quesitons  (Read 13366 times)

Offline zueth

96 hour Chuck Roast Quesitons
« Reply #-1 on: November 28, 2018, 04:17:38 PM »
I have done some research and have decided I want to try a 96 hour Chuck Roast for Christmas Eve.  My question is with regards to trimming the fat on the Chuckie.  I have seen some where people cut off almost all the fat, which I think resulted in a not very flavorful cut of meat.  I want to leave fat for flavor, but don't want my guests chewing on fat.  Do I just leave it all or do I cut off the large chunks of fat ? or only hard fat if any?

Thanks.

Offline zueth

« on: December 01, 2018, 03:39:18 PM »
Anybody that has done this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: 96 hour Chuck Roast Quesitons
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 04:25:36 PM »
The max I have done is 52 hours and it came out mushy. I found that between 42 and 45 hours is almost perfect for chuck roast. I will trim a little of the larger fat off, but not too much. Once it is out of the hot tub I will sear it and that usually takes care of the chewy fat. I have almost cold smoked them for about 3 hours, then put them into the hot tub for their long bath. This is my favorite way with chuckies.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 11:24:07 AM »
I have  cooked  a chuck roast for 28-30 hours with  very good results,  I trimmed the large chunks of hard fat and then tied it together.  It did leave some fat that we had to cut around  but  not an excessive amount. 
Will probably do it this way  next time  I cook a chuckie.
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline zueth

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 07:20:42 PM »
Thanks for the input, it seems most settle for between 24-48 hours.  I was reading posts from the past where people said they did 72 -96 hours with good results.

I came across your post below and think I might try this technique.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=22202.0

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 10:59:35 AM »
Just a few reminders for your sous vide cooks...

Scald in boiling water for 30 seconds after vacuum sealing when cooking meat below 60C/140F for 8 hours or longer (even if searing ahead). This keeps the meat from smelling "off" as it may occasionally do after a long low cook.*

Do NOT use ZipLoc bags for cooks over 150F.

Do NOT use dairy products, such as butter, in cook times exceeding 4 hours.

* No, Tim, "long low cook" is not a type of Chinese noodle.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline zueth

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 08:01:10 PM »
What is the reason for no butter?

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 11:13:32 PM »
As I understand it, sous vide red meats, pork, and chicken don't absorb flavor from butter. The butter apparently absorbs some of the fat-soluble compounds from the meat, actually reducing the flavor of the meat itself. If you serve all the sous vide juices in your finished dish this isn't a big deal but generally if you want the butter taste, best to add it after searing or include it in a pan sauce.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline zueth

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 01:00:35 PM »
As I understand it, sous vide red meats, pork, and chicken don't absorb flavor from butter. The butter apparently absorbs some of the fat-soluble compounds from the meat, actually reducing the flavor of the meat itself. If you serve all the sous vide juices in your finished dish this isn't a big deal but generally if you want the butter taste, best to add it after searing or include it in a pan sauce.

Interesting, thanks for letting me know.  I guess I need to stick to olive oil.

Offline zueth

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 01:02:55 PM »
The max I have done is 52 hours and it came out mushy. I found that between 42 and 45 hours is almost perfect for chuck roast. I will trim a little of the larger fat off, but not too much. Once it is out of the hot tub I will sear it and that usually takes care of the chewy fat. I have almost cold smoked them for about 3 hours, then put them into the hot tub for their long bath. This is my favorite way with chuckies.

Since you have done both, do you prefer to cold smoke than SV or SV, ice bath, then cook on smoker?

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 05:02:05 PM »

Since you have done both, do you prefer to cold smoke than SV or SV, ice bath, then cook on smoker?

I like the cold smoke first method. Saves from having to chill, refrigerate and then smoke if I do it the next day. To us the cold smoke first gave the best smoke flavor.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline cookinpellets junior

• cookinpellets.com
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 05:09:50 PM »
lol hottub... love it,,, what does that mean? crock pot?
jr@cookinpellets.com
facebook: cookinpellets junior
facebook cookinpellets
www.cookinpellets.com

Offline cookinpellets junior

• cookinpellets.com
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 05:14:19 PM »
never mind i just saw it on your recipe, is that a real thing or did you make that?
jr@cookinpellets.com
facebook: cookinpellets junior
facebook cookinpellets
www.cookinpellets.com

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 05:49:00 PM »
never mind i just saw it on your recipe, is that a real thing or did you make that?

Nope a real thing. The container is a Rubbermaid and the sous vide controller is an Anova.  A lot of members on here do sous vide BBQ. Check out the "other cooks" section.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline zueth

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 10:36:07 PM »

I like the cold smoke first method. Saves from having to chill, refrigerate and then smoke if I do it the next day. To us the cold smoke first gave the best smoke flavor.
Okay.  Thanks