Author Topic: Burnt ends with Bottom Round Roast  (Read 15434 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Burnt ends with Bottom Round Roast
« Reply #-1 on: August 12, 2019, 09:46:43 AM »
Finialy got to try the bottom round roast as burnt ends.   These were very good, just not as tender as I wish they would have been.   Great flavor though!

I used Beef Broth and 3 Tbs of GunPowder and mixed into a brine/marinade let it soak 20 hrs before smoking.    I smoked 3 hrs then cut into chuncks before puting them back into smoker for another hr or so till they had a good bark on them,  then back into the beef broth bath  ;) to braise for another hour   

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Burnt ends with Bottom Round Roast
« on: August 12, 2019, 09:52:11 AM »
Tommy..do you think cooking them longer would have made them more tender? the ones I had were cooked a lot longer..wondering.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 09:57:23 AM »
Tommy..do you think cooking them longer would have made them more tender? the ones I had were cooked a lot longer..wondering.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
YES!    Next cook I'm going to smoke for 6 hrs with moister in the pan then cut up and smoke another hr before puting them into a sauce

Guess bottom round is a very tough cut may have to smoke 7 hrs before cutting up?   Any thoughts??
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 11:09:57 AM »
Tommy, what about sous vide first to tenderize, then on the grill for the burnt ends?

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 11:21:49 AM »
Tommy, what about sous vide first to tenderize, then on the grill for the burnt ends?

Good idea.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 11:28:03 AM »
I don't have one  :( but that would be a great idea
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 02:27:04 PM »
Not sure you will get the tenderness no matter how long you cook it. Bottom Round doesn't have that much fat in it does it? Brisket points, chuck roast all have a degree of fat that allows you to make tender, juicy burnt ends. I would think with bottom you may get tender, but not juicy tender.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 02:59:44 PM »
Great try on the bottom round Tommy. That is a lean tough pc of meat to get tender.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 09:12:17 PM »
Not sure you will get the tenderness no matter how long you cook it. Bottom Round doesn't have that much fat in it does it? Brisket points, chuck roast all have a degree of fat that allows you to make tender, juicy burnt ends. I would think with bottom you may get tender, but not juicy tender.

Sous vide will tenderize a bottom round into Gerber strained baby food if left too long. They can do some amazing things with low grade cuts of meat.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 12:35:02 AM »
Sous vide will tenderize a bottom round into Gerber strained baby food if left too long. They can do some amazing things with low grade cuts of meat.

You can cook it to mush and it won't be as good as brisket point. The issues aren't only taste and tenderness; it's texture as well. You need melted connective tissue and fat to give most BBQ (as opposed to "grilled meat") the tenderness, texture, and "mouth feel" we want/expect. If you start out with totally lean muscle meat, you'll never make it into BBQ, whether it's pig, cow, or whatever. It can be tender and tasty but it won't be BBQ.

Remember your roots - BBQ started as a way of cooking tough, usually fatty and gristly meat to make it enjoyably edible.

Jus' sayin'...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 08:24:55 AM »

You can cook it to mush and it won't be as good as brisket point. The issues aren't only taste and tenderness; it's texture as well. You need melted connective tissue and fat to give most BBQ (as opposed to "grilled meat") the tenderness, texture, and "mouth feel" we want/expect. If you start out with totally lean muscle meat, you'll never make it into BBQ, whether it's pig, cow, or whatever. It can be tender and tasty but it won't be BBQ.

Remember your roots - BBQ started as a way of cooking tough, usually fatty and gristly meat to make it enjoyably edible.

Jus' sayin'...

I know BUT was thinking or at least hoping I could smoke it for awhile then cube it smoke again til a crust started then braise in beef stock/gunpowder and that would make it more tender..

Side note:   Kimmie loved it so you know it was not tender  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  And when she said I LOVE IT I knew I missed my mark     
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker