Author Topic: Split the smoker category  (Read 13889 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Split the smoker category
« Reply #-1 on: January 04, 2012, 08:18:55 PM »
Lost arrow brought up a good point in the charcoal smoker category today. A fellow brother here on the forum just got a WSM and LA thinks we should split into horizontal and vertical categories.

I say heck yeah...big difference....one lets you do other things and one makes you a slave to the fire box...you know which pits I am talking about.........BOTH deliver kick arse results!!

Get your votes in!!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:23:40 PM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Split the smoker category
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:11:34 AM »
Good poll, since the two types cook different (heat source in different configuration) they need their own thread.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Admin2

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 12:10:07 PM »
Perhaps you should offer more information to all of the members about the differences between the 2 cooking configurations. It will help others decide if they think there is merit to seperate sections.

We are all for having as much democrocracy as our wallet will allow ;).But - try to get as many opinions as you can, and bear in mind that many here may not know the real differences in the off-set vs vertical WSM types - so, take some time to explain this thoroughly. It will help your cause!

T

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 02:50:17 PM »
A vertical smoker usually uses a water pan for a heat shield and a way to introduce moisture to the cooking environment. Most drum type vertical smokers do not use a water pan as the dripping fat from the food drops off on the fuel source. Horizontal smokers offer more cooking space but some of the larger drum smokers offer two cooking grates. Vertical smokers are usually more of a set it and forget it type of smoker whereas horizontal smokers need to have fuel added and a little more tweaking of the air vents (intake)during the cook.

This is gonna be a good thread...I can just feel it!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 09:56:47 AM »
As a very amateur smoker and outdoor cook I think splitting the category makes a lot of sense.  The horizontal smoker I used to use was one of the less pricey ones and the it was difficult to smoke meat for long periods of time due to heat loss thru the thinner metal and it needed many modifications to make it work to the best capacity.

However the vertical smokers I've owned (and still own the Char-Broil Double Chef) has been much easier to learn and work. Perhaps not as much room and the horizontal but for my minimum needs - much better results.  Still deciding on a vertical electric smoker in addition to my BEESR...not sure.

I do believe overall there is some similarity to the basic recipe that calls for smoking - regardless of the cooker - but the actual execution of the recipe is dependent upon the cooker and the cook's understanding and mastery of the smoker.

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 11:56:53 AM »
In my opinion, there are already way too many different sub forums.  Why make things even more complicated?  Perhaps when the traffic here picks up and there are too many messages to wade through you might need to split charcoal/wood into vertical and horizontal, but for now it doesn't make any sense to me.  I suspect that after the split, there wouldn't be any posts in the horizontal section anyway.  As it is, this forum tends toward gas/infrared already.  When you add them all up, how many posts are there in all of the various wood/charcoal forums combined?

Bill
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:54:38 PM by Merrick Bill »
Large Big Green Egg, Traeger BBQ075, NBBD, La Caja China, Brinkman All-In-One, Weber Q200, Weber Q220, Weber Q320, WSM, and more Weber kettles than I care to admit.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 02:35:26 PM »
I think this forum was created for all cooking types and I think as the membership grows charcoal will be well represented......just sayin ;D

It might just be a good idea to wait for the membership to grow more.......just sayin again.... ;D ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 02:44:53 PM »
In my opinion, there are already way to many different sub forums.  Why make things even more complicated.  Perhaps when the traffic here picks up and there are too many messages to wade through you might need to split charcoal/wood into vertical and horizontal, but for now it doesn't make any sense to me.  I suspect that after the split, there wouldn't be any posts in the stick burner section anyway.  As it is, this forum tends toward gas/infrared already.  When you add them all up, how many posts are there in all of the various wood/charcoal forums combined?

I agree that simpler is better in my humble opinion.  Since I use a pellet smoker-gill (MAK), a gas/infrared (SRG), and an electrical (Bradley) smoker I wade through the different categories/sub forums until I find one that fits or else I just post in a general sub forum.  When I login I always select "Show unread posts since last visit" which allows me to read all the new posts no matter where they were posted.  I also use "Show new replies to your posts".

To me cooks/smokes are just that ... No matter what type of unit is used.  For the most part I can adapt most recipes depending on which unit I choose to use.

Not so sure that this forum tends towards gas/infrared so much cause I believe most of us have multiple platforms but winter weather in certain areas might be dictating what cooker we use.  For me when it gets below 50ยบ here it's getting cold so I'm able to use all my units  ;D ;D 8)
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG