Author Topic: Hanger Steak vs. Skirt Steak?  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
Hanger Steak vs. Skirt Steak?
« Reply #-1 on: April 21, 2013, 12:57:26 PM »
The Hanger is a piece of meat attached to the diaphragm muscle on
the beef rib. They weigh approx 3/4 of a pound and are relatively
tender, surprisingly, and full of rich flavor. They are close to, but
not attached to, the Skirt Steak. There is only ONE per cow.

There are two types of 'skirt' steak 1) inner skirt from the
flank/hindquarter and 2) outer skirt from the plate/forequarter.
The Outside Skirt is the trimmed, boneless portion of the diaphragm
muscle, which is attached to the 6th through 12th ribs on the
underside of the short plate. The membrane, which is trimmed close to
the lean, is attached. The Inside Skirt is a trimmed, boneless portion
with the membrane removed. The lean surface is trimmed practically
free of fat. A Skirt can weigh as little as one pound and up to four
pounds and there are only four 'skirts' per animal.

I recommend that the Hanger Steak be marinated over night to help
break down the fibrous muscle. I would then cook it like you would a
London Broil.. As far as the Skirts, if you've had Fajitas in a
restaurant, more than likely the meat was the Skirt. These can be
marainated, or not, pounded thin and then grilled quick, direct. You
then slice them fairly thin against the grain. Nice flavor to these.
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
Re: Hanger Steak vs. Skirt Steak?
« on: April 21, 2013, 01:00:35 PM »
Question from Miki, "I had a friend turn me on to Skirt Steaks that were soooo tender. However, on line I keep reading that they are tough. Why is that and if you can tell me what the difference is, do you know of someone on line that I can order this steak from (the tender version)? I'm also okay with ordering from a local store, but what exactly should I ask for? Last time I tried it was with Harris Teeter and the meat counter person told me that Skirt Steaks are awful and very tough and that no stores carry them. I find that hard to believe and the te tenderness issue was not the case with respect to what I had eaten. . . .it was wonderful!! I appreciate any help you can offer."

Miki, one of the problems with meat counter personnel these days is that they do NOT know what they are talking about. This person at Harris Teeter would not work for me long, as he is lazy, un-knowledgeable and bad for business. I hear your complaint with Skirt Steaks, Tri-Tip Steaks, London Broils, etc 2-3 times a week and I find it unsettling.

There are two types of Skirt Steak...an Inside Skirt which is from the Hindquarter of the beef and the Outside Skirt which is from the Forequarter. Both are flavorful and look similar in size and texture. Both can weigh any where from 1 - 4 pounds, but are normally cut into 4-6 inch hunks for the display case. Any, and I do mean ANY, store can order Skirt Steaks for you, unless they do not want your business. The best place to start is any Hispanic food mart in your area, as Skirts are what are used primarily in Fajitas (also called Fajita meat). If no Hispanic store in your area, take this info back to Harris Teeter and demand to speak to the Market Mgr. Tell him to order you some Skirt Steaks, either IMPS/NAMP #'s (this is a universal identification number) 121-C or 121-D, as these are the numbers for Outside and Inside Skirts respectively. I would also tell him what the counter person told you the last time you asked for them. Show him this email if you like. Any other supermarket or butcher shop can do the same thing. Tell them also that you want it to be USDA Choice grade..NOT "Select" grade.

Ok...yes, Skirt Steak is a tough piece of meat if not treated properly (which is what most people do). Treated properly, Skirt is a very tender and flavorful piece of meat. There is an outside membrane that MUST be removed before using (some stores do and some don't...ask them to do it). I would suggest pounding or marinating to tenderize the tough connective tissues. Skirt Steaks should be be cooked HOT and QUICK, to medium...NOT overdone. Once cooked they should be sliced thin AGAINST the grain. If you follow those steps, you'll have a tender piece of meat.
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Hanger Steak vs. Skirt Steak?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 03:19:07 PM »
Thanks for the info.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS