Author Topic: What do I get from half a pig???  (Read 980 times)

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
What do I get from half a pig???
« Reply #-1 on: April 22, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
"Steve, I do have a question that you might be able to help on. Between another family and ourselves, we purchased a pig at the county fair. We were wondering if there is anything specifically we should ask for when it comes time to be butchered. Both families own ceramic cookers so we aren’t afraid to let something cook for awhile.
The reason I ask is that last year we split some beef cattle with another family, I did not interject myself into the butchering process and we ended up with a boat load of hamburger vs. brisket, etc. and et al. That is not going to happen with El Cerdo. Therefore any help you can provide would be much appreciated.
Thank you from Idaho, Joe D"

Joe, depending on the size of the hog, you should get a good variety of useable meat. To begin with, you'll be getting lots of sausage, or ground pork. Specify which, in case you want to mix your own sausage, or use the ground pork in other recipes. You'll get ONE Boston Butt Shoulder Blade Roast, which can be left whole or cut into steaks (1" for steak), or half and half. You'll also get one Fresh Picnic Shoulder Roast, best left whole or cut in half. You should also get some shanks and/or hocks from the front quarter and also the back. These are great for smoking or stews. Now comes the ONE loin you'll get. Roasts or chops, up to you. The blade end of the loin can be cut into Country Style Spareribs. One set of regular spareribs and some fresh side belly or bacon, make sure to specify. I'd go for the bacon, but that is a personal choice of mine. The hind leg, or fresh ham can be left whole, cut into two roasts (butt and shank) or cut into steaks. Normally, two small roasts and a few steaks are the best method, but again, this is up to you. You guys can fight over the liver, heart, tongue, feet, kidneys, etc.
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com