Author Topic: Rib Roasts  (Read 3397 times)

Offline SiFumar

Rib Roasts
« Reply #-1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:54 AM »
So I'm browsing the meat at the market and looking at the Rib Roasts...they had "small end" and "large end" ....same price.  Never seen a "small" end.  More tender?  Thanks for any info on it.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Bradley Original
Bradley Counter Top
SRG
Char Broil Grill

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Rib Roasts
« on: May 15, 2013, 01:46:28 AM »
From Serious Eats Guide to Prime Rib...

Ribs 6 through 9, which comes from closer to the cow's shoulder (aka the chuck) are referred variously as the "chuck end," "blade end," or "second cut." It's got more separate musculature, and more large hunks of fat. Personally, I prefer this end, because I like to eat the fat in a well-roasted piece of beef. If you prefer leaner, more tender beef, then go for...

Ribs 10 through 12, taken from further back and known as the "loin end," "small end," or "first cut." It's got a larger central eye of meat, and less fat.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 04:26:06 AM »
So I'm browsing the meat at the market and looking at the Rib Roasts...they had "small end" and "large end" ....same price.  Never seen a "small" end.  More tender?  Thanks for any info on it.

There are seven ribs to a whole, case ready bone in rib. The 1st, "small end", is right next to the NY Strip, and, the last rib, #7, butts up to the beef chuck. The 'preferable' end is a matter of opinion. I prefer the "large end",  ribs #3,4,5 and 6, just solely on flavor. Not much difference in tenderness. However, ribs 5,6, and 7 DO have more fat (flavor) and waste.

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 01:05:54 AM »
This is good information. Just wondering, is it realistic to ask my butcher for 3 -6 out of the 7?
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 04:59:39 AM »
... is it realistic to ask my butcher for 3 -6 out of the 7?

Only if he sells the rest as steaks.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline SiFumar

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 11:17:32 AM »
Thanks for the information!  The small end did look "leaner".  I did ask the young lady who was stocking the meat about it....but she knew nothing about meat.  She did say it went on sale more often for around $3. 89 lb!(non advertised sales) I'm thinking I will have to go to that store more often and try to catch a few.  I'd like to try grinding it for burgers.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Bradley Original
Bradley Counter Top
SRG
Char Broil Grill

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »
... is it realistic to ask my butcher for 3 -6 out of the 7?

Only if he sells the rest as steaks.

He shouldn't have any problems getting rid of the steaks, I never did.

Is this a small chain store or a large chain? Also sounds like it might be USDA Select at that price....my 2ยข

Offline SiFumar

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »
Military commissary.....and they all were marked Choice.  Normal price is $5.89.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Bradley Original
Bradley Counter Top
SRG
Char Broil Grill

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
Military commissary.....and they all were marked Choice.  Normal price is $5.89.

OK, well that explains the price then  :o  Here they are around $10 most of the time  :(

Offline Pappymn

Rib Roasts
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 04:56:41 PM »

Get another freezer and fill it at that price ;)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RickB

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »

You and me both! Speaking of which. Down to one dry aged steak. Going to order me the large bag from umai and get a whole prime ribeye from Costco. Go big or go home!  ;D

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 05:47:24 PM »

You and me both! Speaking of which. Down to one dry aged steak. Going to order me the large bag from umai and get a whole prime ribeye from Costco. Go big or go home!  ;D

I too need to make another one Rick. Now that my garage fridge is available again. You going to get a bone-in or boneless?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

Rib Roasts
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 07:39:59 PM »

I too need to make another one Rick. Now that my garage fridge is available again. You going to get a bone-in or boneless?

Curious about his. I bought boneless. I know bones are great. But I am not a butcher. Did I miss anything?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 07:48:20 PM »

Curious about his. I bought boneless. I know bones are great. But I am not a butcher. Did I miss anything?

Pappy I have dry-aged both types in the Umai bags. The bone-in help to retain a good shape due to the bone holding things together but make it tougher to bag. You gotta file down the edges on the bones so they do not cut the bag when sealing.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RickB

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 08:00:38 PM »
I only do boneless. Much easier to trim and cut.