Author Topic: Cedar Planked Swai Filets  (Read 2070 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Cedar Planked Swai Filets
« Reply #-1 on: June 16, 2013, 09:19:45 AM »
Jun 15 2013

The Grandson was staying with us Saturday; we went fishing in the morning. We didn’t do any good; no fish for supper. Grampa had this covered though; I had three nice Swai filets to fix. Swai is a mild fish similar to Talapia.

I hadn’t fixed fish on my Traeger for a long time. When I do I like to do them on cedar planks. You won’t get any charred cedar taste but I think it cooks the fish in its own juices and comes out very moist. I soak the cedar planks in water for a few hours. I like to do fish at 300 deg. and put the cedar planks on for about 15 minutes to heat up. Spray them with some olive oil or brush on and add the fish. Cook to desired doneness.

After the cook; just wash off the planks and run them thru the dish washer. I usually get from 4 to 6 uses this way.

I followed a recipe from food.com for the Swai filets. Mixed 2 Tbs. of olive oil, about a teaspoon of garlic salt and sliced 6 fresh basil leaves; nuked just to warm up some. I added the juice of one lemon to the filets and let set for 10 minutes. I then brushed both sides with the olive oil mix and placed on the cedar planks I had heated and sprayed with some olive oil. I added some grated parmesan on top. They were on for 25 minutes at 300 deg. grill temp.

I fixed some Zatarain’s yellow rice in my steamer and added asparagus the last 10 minutes. I served the Swai filets over the rice and asparagus on the side. We all liked it and the fish was very moist. This is the first time I had fixed the Swai and will use it again; I liked it better than Talapia.

Hope all have a great Father's Day cook!

Filets on the smoker

My Plate

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Cedar Planked Swai Filets
« on: June 16, 2013, 10:30:49 AM »
Looking good SD!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 12:21:09 PM »
Nice meal ... I'll take a plate of that  :D
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 12:24:48 PM »
The fish look great, thanks for posting.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.