Author Topic: Beef Shrouds  (Read 11681 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Beef Shrouds
« Reply #-1 on: June 23, 2013, 08:49:24 PM »
On another forum we were discussing aging beef, wet and dry.  I wrote that my father, a butcher, would tightly wrap a side of beef in a wet cotton (I think cotton) shroud and push it into the cooler.  It covered only the fat side leaving what was the animal's interior side exposed to the air.

I was asked what its intended function was.  The only possible explanation my older sister can provide is that, since it was always pulled as tight as possible, it supported the still warm meat to keep it from sagging.

Do you know the function it performed, Rummm?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
Re: Beef Shrouds
« on: July 13, 2013, 05:05:51 PM »
On another forum we were discussing aging beef, wet and dry.  I wrote that my father, a butcher, would tightly wrap a side of beef in a wet cotton (I think cotton) shroud and push it into the cooler.  It covered only the fat side leaving what was the animal's interior side exposed to the air.

I was asked what its intended function was.  The only possible explanation my older sister can provide is that, since it was always pulled as tight as possible, it supported the still warm meat to keep it from sagging.

Do you know the function it performed, Rummm?

I'm sorry that I missed this  :(

The 'shrouds' basically trapped some of the moisture, allowing air and moisture to work in aiding the beef to age. Some people use plain white towels today to do the same thing as the older "shrouds".
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:33:47 PM by Rummm »
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com