Author Topic: Pics: first 3 cooks on the PBC. And requesting help for low elevation cook times  (Read 6748 times)

Offline pavlaugh

• Houston, TX
Really liking the PBC after the first 3 cooks.  I think I need to get the timing a little better for low elevation, but overall it the food was great.

First Cook: Chicken

Split, seasoned, hooked.

Two hours later, tasted great but was a little drier than I expected.  I think I should have had the vent closed more for the 1/4-open recommended by PBC.

Second Cook: Baby Back Ribs

Seasoned and hooked.

I may have overcooked it because it was falling off the bones.  But these tasted great!

While the ribs were resting, I threw some Brussels sprouts on the grate.  They turned out nice and crispy, cooked through.

Third Cook: Tri-Tip (or what the Kroger butcher said was tri-tip)

This was my first time eating tri-tip as far as I know.  It was pretty impressive.  Will definitely be making it again.

I'm sold on this thing.  It's pretty idiot-proof, and I'm sure will only get better the more cooks I do.

Can anyone recommend cooking times at low elevation (Houston, TX)?  I think I overcooked all three items.  I cooked the chicken to the correct internal temp, but I think my vent was open too much for it -- the temp in the cooker was blazing hot at first (still at 450* after an hour).  I closed it as much as possible for the second and third cooks.
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Looks good.  I can't speak to the cooker as I don't have one, but I can vouch for trying to control temps in Texas being difficult.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
It's always easy to pull things a little early & if not done put back on.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
My PBC runs between 280F to 310F depending on the load of charcoal. I am at around 2600Ft and have not touched the air vent. I assume their times are for around those temps so you will need to adjust it and check with a thermometer until you get around those temps.

Then as long as the charcoal load is the same every time you should get very consistent results.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
With BBQ there is really no mistakes you can't eat. You cooks look great to me.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Good looking food yah made there, nice job!!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
I am in MN - not high elevation  ;) I've never adjusted my PBC vent and find the times suggested by Noah and Amber to be almost perfect. I would just give them a call - they are about the most friendly people you will ever talk to and they truly want their customers to be delighted.

BTW - your cooks look great!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
I'm At 16ft above 15 miles from the Gulf If Mexico. Mine cooks faster than the times given but I have yet to ruin anything in mine. Always perfect and juicy. Never taken the temp. Maybe on my next cook.

Mike
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
My PBC runs between 280F to 310F depending on the load of charcoal. I am at around 2600Ft and have not touched the air vent. I assume their times are for around those temps so you will need to adjust it and check with a thermometer until you get around those temps.

Then as long as the charcoal load is the same every time you should get very consistent results.

I am a little higher in elevation than Mike...and Amber and Noah are higher still....

THink that Mike is right...lower elevation= more oxygen = slightly higher temps. = shorter cooking times.

Highly recomment that you get a Maverick 732 to dial in your cook times. It will make your life easier, and help you achieve perfectly cooked meats. No more over/under done stuff! The first Forum Sponsor listed is Pellet Grill Outfitters - contact Eric there, adn he will fix you up!
NIce looking food - even if you felt it was a tad over-done ;).
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pz

I know that fall off the bone ribs are considered overcooked in competition Q, but I love 'em that way - yours look great  ;)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
All looks pretty darn good to me!!! I always prefer ribs close to fall off the bone and find them better overdone than underdone! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Hub

I am in MN - not high elevation  ;) I've never adjusted my PBC vent and find the times suggested by Noah and Amber to be almost perfect. I would just give them a call - they are about the most friendly people you will ever talk to and they truly want their customers to be delighted.

BTW - your cooks look great!

Good advice.  I haven't adjusted my vent setting but I have adjusted my timing here and there from the times in the videos.  A call should help you a lot.  Another thing I've learned is that the "sweet spot" in the middle of the cooker is around 300-ish from my temp probes.  As to ribs, relative bone size and meat thickness causes variations from cook to cook.  Bottom of the rack hanging right over the fire will burn so I cut the racks in half.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline pavlaugh

• Houston, TX
Thanks for all the responses and recommendations!  Has anyone hung salmon or other fish fillets (skin on)?  I'm wondering if the meat would separate and fall off, but not sure.  I'm shooting for a cooked-through, teriyaki style fillet that would go with crackers and cheeses.   I'd do this on the offset, but I really want to see what the PBC can do.
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Thanks for all the responses and recommendations!  Has anyone hung salmon or other fish fillets (skin on)?  I'm wondering if the meat would separate and fall off, but not sure.  I'm shooting for a cooked-through, teriyaki style fillet that would go with crackers and cheeses.   I'd do this on the offset, but I really want to see what the PBC can do.

I would use the grate. Would probably fall into the coals.

Maybe hang them housed in fish baskets...

http://www.amazon.com/GrillPro-14794-Chrome-Fish-Basket/dp/B0047ZFGHG/ref=sr_1_18?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1377563595&sr=1-18&keywords=fish+basket
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN

I would use the grate. Would probably fall into the coals.

Maybe hang them housed in fish baskets...

http://www.amazon.com/GrillPro-14794-Chrome-Fish-Basket/dp/B0047ZFGHG/ref=sr_1_18?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1377563595&sr=1-18&keywords=fish+basket

I'm with muebe on this one.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #