Author Topic: Multi-Fuel Grilling  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Hub

Multi-Fuel Grilling
« Reply #-1 on: August 27, 2013, 12:24:33 PM »
I'm sure somebody has probably already spotted this machine and posted something about it, but I snoozed missed it:

http://kalamazoogourmet.com/products/rare-grill/?gclid=COq325z4nbkCFRRk7AodG2AAZw

This is a high dollar machine that seems very well engineered and built to last -- priced accordingly, too.  I find the concept intriguing because I appreciate diversity in cooking fuels.  However, I have a "cheap side" too.   The more I looked at this, the more I got to thinking about something I've done several times on my Weber Performer for a lot less money.  I mentioned it in a post a day or so ago but here are more details. 

First, a warning:  Don't try to do this in your gas grill.  Gassers are designed to optimize air flow to the burner area and almost always have vents or air slots on the bottom.  Adding something on the fire that will produce any significant amount of ash is asking for falling, hot embers or entertaining partial blockage of the engineered-in combustion support process.  This method will work with most charcoal grills, however.

Wood:  Most supermarkets and big box stores sell five and ten pound bags of hardwood "chunks".  The stores I frequent usually have at least hickory and mesquite but, on occasion, I've also seen apple and oak.  The wood is well seasoned for optimum dryness.  You can also Google "smoking wood" or something similar and get connected to one of many websites that market hardwoods all the way from full ricks down to boxes of chunks or even small sticks.  Chunks and small sticks are most often used in smaller offset stickburners as flavor wood topping a charcoal fire or starter fire.  Cost of these wood products will be a bit like buying pellets -- shipping may top the cost of the goods unless you live close to the supplier.  You can "scrounge" your own wood, too.  Freshly cut, green wood isn't recommended because it is very hard to light and may emit some steamy, tarry vapors that don't taste good.

Starting the Fire:  My Weber Performer has the little butane bottle and remote igniter designed for starting the charcoal in the center of the pit.  I love this feature for its convenience, but you don't have to have it to do a good job.  The secret of starting a good wood fire is sustained moderate heat until a "core" of embers builds up.  A few charcoal briquettes will do the same thing.  So, I put eight to ten down in the bottom, "initiate" them with the gas jet, then let them turn all gray and glowing.  Next, completely cover the glowing charcoal with your wood chunks or sticks.  Leave the lid open or off and open the bottom vents completely.  From the time you add the wood until you have a good bed of embers will vary, but it usually takes me about thirty minutes.  You may need to experiment with your cooker.  You can light your "starter" briquettes with either a chimney or good lighter fluid.  I've found that any residual starter fluid vapors are long, long gone by the time my wood is at full flame.

Using the Fire:  Don't get in too big of a hurry, but don't get too far away, either.  At first, depending on the wood type, you'll have a lot of smouldering  and "white smoke" production that isn't optimal for grilling.  Once things settle down, you'll have a very hot, slightly smoky wood blaze that will last about twenty to thirty minutes -- plenty long enough to sear some mighty tasty steaks or chops but not ideal for extended slow cooking or intense smoking of thicker meats like roasts.  This is a searing, grilling fire only.  To maintain it on my Weber I keep the bottom vents open all the way and usually don't use the lid unless I get a flare-up (lid on with the lid vent closed will douse it fairly quickly).  Again, you may need to experiment with your cooker to see what works best.

The Flavor:  It isn't the same as charcoal and it isn't the same as smoking or even reverse-searing.  The wood flavor will not be intense but it will be present.  If you've ever had wood-fired pizza in a high end pizzaria you've come close.  It is a pleasant background touch that really compliments a good piece of meat but certainly doesn't overwhelm it. 

Why Bother?  It takes a bit more care and tending than just lighting a bunch of charcoal but it puts another interesting arrow in your quivver of tools for outdoor cookery.  I haven't calculated it to the penny, but I think the cost of building a hardwood fire like this is within reason and not that much greater than using a premium charcoal brand by itself.  It is certainly worth it if you find yourself in the enviable position of wanting to do something special with some high-dollar steaks.

Yes, the Kalamazoo could do this faster.  But, if you practice it a time or two, you'll be able to do it just as well and spend the money you'll save on something just as entertaining like appropriate beverages  ::)

Hub 

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Multi-Fuel Grilling
« on: August 27, 2013, 01:29:27 PM »
Hub,

That's a great looking device, but a bit beyond my means. Like you, I've used my Weber Performer for "wood" fires. In fact, I use this most of the time to make a wood fired pizza. I have the Kettle Pizza and it works great. But, when I am lazy - I just add some wood to the charcoal - make a semi-circle and do pizzas right on the grill. The wood adds a lot to the temp and the flavor - works great. Your instructions (as always) are spot on!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 03:35:08 PM »
That thing is pretty impressive.  However, I am too busy trying to figure out how much $2.99 Academy brand charcoal I can sneak in the house...  Did I mention that I like cheep fuel?  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline pz

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 04:14:01 PM »
That's the one I've seen Rick Bayless use in hos PBS program "Mexico, One Plate at a Time" (one of my favorite cooking shows)

It's a beautiful grill, but I knew just from watching Rick that I might as well not even ask the price.