Author Topic: Best deal,corned beef flat or point?  (Read 14040 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Best deal,corned beef flat or point?
« Reply #-1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:30:32 AM »
The flat is 2.99/lb,point 1.69/lb

I do want flat for the pastrami,correct?
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Best deal,corned beef flat or point?
« on: March 12, 2014, 06:26:43 AM »
Yes, you want flat.  The better deal is to buy a packer and separate it yourself.  Smoke the point for some nice fatty slices, and corn the flat.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline RAD

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:29:34 AM »
Yes and great price on both
Love to cook and eat

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 07:13:52 AM »
The flat slices better for pastrami but I have used a point before and even though the slices are not that pretty the taste was fantastic!

Are you going to use Hub's EZ Pastrami recipe?

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=407.0

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 07:43:03 AM »
Yes, the Flat, for sure. Occasionally you can find Corned Beef from the Eye or Bottom Round and they also make excellent Pastrami. That's what most of your deli's have.
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 08:08:02 AM »
If using brisket, I prefer the point, but it depends on how much fat marbling you want.

Another cut to consider is the Beef Naval (if you can find them).  They're basically the meat near the short ribs. I've used these before and they make great pastrami, but aren't easy to find. I have to let my butcher know ahead of time if I want them so he doesn't grind them into hamburger meat. My understanding is that in Romania, this is what Pastrama was usually made from. 

Like Rummm mentioned, the round is another good cut to use if you want leaner slices like the brisket flat.

Beef navals (You can see the short ribs which I remove and save).

Corning

Smoking

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:09:40 AM »

You guys are making me hungry........

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 12:27:12 PM »
That's some good looking pastrami.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 01:23:18 PM »
So,both are a good deal,equally so,and the flat is better pastrami,but point is good too.Isnt the point really fatty?Do you trim that out before or after pastrami making?

Now,when you say round,you mean just take bottom round steak,brine and make pastrami from that?

Yes,Im going to use Hubs method.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 02:28:41 PM »
So,both are a good deal,equally so,and the flat is better pastrami,but point is good too.Isnt the point really fatty?Do you trim that out before or after pastrami making?

Now,when you say round,you mean just take bottom round steak,brine and make pastrami from that?

Yes,Im going to use Hubs method.

Yes the point has more fat. But remember fat = favor. You can trim the excess exterior fat.

When the pastrami point is done slice it when cold so the fat will solidify and hold together.

Then later when the slices are gently warmed for a sandwich that fat renders a bit and IMHO is so good!

Buy a point and a flat then try both and tell us what you think ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 04:21:12 PM »

Not steaks, a roast.  An eye of round cut in half length-wise will work nicely, or a bottom round roast.

There are recipes for dry-rub cures, or you can brine. Either way will work and there are pro's/con's with each method.

Brining - Advantages: you don't have to measure everything according to weight (because it works off of equalization). As long as the meat is totally immersed and has room to move it will work.  It's easier to get a lower-salt product (this is why I prefer brining - I find it much easier to control the initial salt intake).
Disadvantages: It requires more of each ingredient, and more room in the fridge

Dry-rub Cure - Advantages: Requires less of each ingredient (slightly lower cost) and it takes less room in the fridge.
Disadvantages: You must be precise and scale the ingredients according to meat's weight. Usually produces a saltier product (you can soak in water to reduce salt).

If you decide to brine, here's the brine recipe I use:

Corned Beef/Pastrami Brine Solution:
Enough to do up to 7 lb meat.

1 Gallon filtered water
1 1/4 Cups Pickling Salt
9 tsp. Cure #1 (Prague Powder #1, InstaCure #1, etc.)
1/3 Cup Sugar
4 TBS Pickling Spice

Simmer the pickling spices in some water for about 10 minutes or so, let cool then add enough filtered water to it to make 1 gallon.  Add the salt, Curing Salt #1 & Sugar then stir until dissolved.  Completely submerge the beef in the brine (use a small plate to weigh down if needed). Cover and allow to brine for 7 - 10 days (depending on thickness) in the refrigerator, flip/rotate the meat every couple days to ensure even brining. 

Note: When corning beef it may take on a grayish color on the outside, this is normal, and will not affect the final outcome.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline spuds

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 05:25:25 PM »
Right tent,I meant roast,not steaks.Thanks for the curing recipes!

Thanks for the informative replies everyone,very very good advice and I will use it all.  ;)

I will make the pastrami from both,gotta take up the great prices on the St Paddies day corned beef sales.

When I get them I will have a couple questions for Hub on his pastrami thread regarding meat size vrs cooking times,lets see the sizes I get first.

Offline spuds

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 06:53:16 PM »
Picked em up today,having a point for dinner,have a point and flat soaking,the flats are really beautiful hunks of meat.5 pounders.