Author Topic: Yoder  (Read 8574 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Yoder
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2021, 06:44:02 AM »
On other boats these seem to get all sorts of praise, but not on here.  Why is that? Are there downfalls to these grills that are ignored on other boards?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My comments are from my experience from owning a YS-640. Which I sold...... ;)

Yoder's history in building perhaps the best production off-set smoker available, jaded their ability to build a good pellet grill. And frankly - they were so stubborn to recognize this - that they just stuck to their guns.
On the one hand - you will never burn it out. It is the thickest, heaviest steel used in a pellet grill ( just under 1/4" IIRC). But - before you think that is an asset....understand the trade off: You have to heat up all of that steel when you fire it up. It soaks up BTU's like a sponge. And - thicker steel DOES NOT "hold" heat"....it merely slows down the transfer of heat from inside the pit to the air outside.  A relevant comparison would be how a screen door slows the wind - but it does not stop it. So it does not slow it down much. This is tested by several different, un-afilliated sources.
Hot? Yes, it will hit close to 600F. IF you can can afford to feed it. The burn rate at grilling temps was horrific. Really unbelievable.....I think something like 20lbs. an hour..(?) but memory may be off on that exact number.
Next - the burn pot - is on the left side of the pit, next to the pellet hopper. Literally, seperated by the steel wall of the pit. This is thinking like a stick burner - which has never worked out well for even temp. distribution for the Yoder. Period. Yes, they came up with a fancy sliding baffle, but honestly....it just did not work to even out temps well.
Lastly - when a company produces a product that has ( last time I counted...which is a few years ago...) was on firmware update #46.....well...you can can grow weary of removing some of the panels on the hopper, to get to the port on the controller circuit board - and carefully plugging in the physical updater - which is a box with updated firmware inside...that you wait for weeks - or months to get from Yoder, as it makes it's way around the country on tour to every other Yoder owner....
Look I applaud the stubborn bravado of Yoder. I really do. It is how invention and improvement in products happen. But, when you make a mistake - or launch a product that is pre-mature.....should you just act as if the next firmware updates(s) are going to fix engineering/design issues? IMHO - Yoder used all it knows about live-fire, offset sticker burning smokers as the baseline for creating the YS-640. And, initially ,,,,you would think that is a good idea. My experience with it were the opposite. :(. And - I hate that.....

I do think that the current marketplace benefits from having inventive, new and different ideas thrown into it - but I also believe that physics and thermodynamics are rules that you can either adhere to...or fight constantly. ;) ;D

For value line...I think Rec-Tec is hard to beat. But for sheer permanence - LIFETIME warranty, and never a fear of rust....GO with a MAK 2 Star. Buy once - cry once. Buy less...cry more often with each replacement of a grill that had a more limited life.

If I have bruised any egos, or injured any emotions - I apologize. When someone asks a question - I feel an obligation to offer the truth as I know it and without any anger or venom. I am not anti-Yoder. I still believe they make the finest stick burners. But it is hard to be "all things to all people..." :)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline zueth

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2021, 09:20:46 AM »
Tee,
That is great feedback, I really appreciate it.

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2021, 12:01:31 PM »
I have first-hand experience with only two pellet pits, an early vintage Traeger that’s no linger made, and a Cookshack Fast Eddy PG500.  I’ll comment on your answers based on what the PG500 offers.

Others with broader or different experience may suggest other brands.

Are you looking for the ability to direct grill, or just low and slow?  Most of my cooking is low and slow, but would be nice to do the whole cook on the pellet girl instead of firing up the gaser to sear a steak.
The Fast Eddy PG500 or 1000 have a dedicated zone above the burn pot.  Many users say it grills the best steaks ever.  Cookshack uses this design to build popular larger grills for the restaurant industry.  My family prefers charcoal grilling, so I rarely used it.

Reverse searing a beef tenderloin.
------
What did you dislike that you want to change? I would like a pit that imparts more a smoke flavor on the food, one that I can grill with if need, one that can hold more pellets, one with tighter temp control across the gril.
The Fast Eddy PG500 or 1000 will make copious smoke at high or low temperatures.
The Fast Eddy PG500 or 1000 hoppers will hold enough pellets to smoke all night while you sleep.
The Fast Eddy PG500 or 1000 heat distribution is absolutely even across the smoke/roast zone.

An evenly baked pizza in a PG500 without the need to spin it.
------
What features do you need in a controller (i.e., meat probes or remote control)? WiFi would be nice to have, but not a necessity.  I have all sorts of meet probes I can use if needed.
I don’t think that the current Fast Eddy PG500 or 1000 line includes probes or smartphone connectivity.
------
How many people will you normally cook for? Typically just the family and for immediate family and friends for bday parties, holidays, etc...
I’m guessing that means 7 or 8 people.  If you’re smoking and reverse searing steaks you’ll be okay by cooking in two shifts and using the warming drawer to keep the first ones hot.
------
What is the largest number of people you would need to cook for?  Probably 20-30.
You can do about five butts at once on a Fast Eddy PG500 or 1000 but you’ll need to pay attention to their temperatures.  (I can elaborate on that in a PM if you like.)
------
Do you have another grill that you will be keeping as overflow? I would like to get rid of the GMG, i have a Webber gasser and SRG I will keep
Both of these will be convenient for reverse searing, so you may not need a pit with a direct flame component (unless you want to grill over a wood fire).
------
How important is it to you for it to be made in U.S.A? Would be nice, but doesn't have to be.
The Cookshack line is made in the USA.
------
Do you want to buy from a dealer or direct from manufacturer? I am thinking direct, but either is okay.
Cookshack doesn’t have a large dealer network.  You can do either one when dealing with them.
------
Do you need an insulated pit? I don't think, so live in PNW, so doesn't get too cold normally.
The primary difference between the Fast Eddy PG500 and 1000 is that the 1000 is insulated.
------
Do you need to be able to move the pit once you have it (take to comps, etc.)? Woudl be nice to take to family's houses to cook, but not a necessity.
The Fast Eddy PG500 and 1000 are extremely heavy.  You can roll them around on fairly smooth surfaces but you don’t want to regularly transport them.
------
Does the size of the hopper matter? Woudl be nice to have a hopper I can load up for a long cook and not worry about checking it.
The Fast Eddy PG500 or 1000 hoppers will hold enough pellets to smoke all night while you sleep.
------
Are you concerned about rusting (stainless steel)? stainless steel definitely preferred, the GMG is starting to rust.
The Fast Eddy PG500 and 1000 are stainless steel.  The downside of shiny SS is that all exterior cooking stains are obvious.
------
Have you been able to physically see or eat food from any of the pits you are considering? No, unfortunately i have not
Some dealers do demonstration cooks of simple foods on weekends.  I know of one that conducts classes where food is prepared.  Most have a seasoned pit on hand.  Ask if you can bring a steak.  See what you can work out.
------
What is your preferred upper cost limit? $1,000
What is the absolute upper cost limit? $1,500
The Fast Eddy PG500 is $1,800.  Deal breaker.

As I wrote earlier, members here are always willing to share their thoughts on your kinds of questions.  They’ll probably offer their suggestions.

Good luck on your search.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline zueth

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 04:05:29 PM »
Thanks for all the great input, much appreciated.

Offline hd002

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2021, 12:28:38 PM »
Just from what was said about the software changes on the Yoder , I would not consider one. :o