Author Topic: Rib Recipe Testing This Weekend  (Read 4361 times)

Offline Kona

Rib Recipe Testing This Weekend
« Reply #-1 on: April 29, 2016, 05:38:19 PM »
So in about a month I'll be having a rib competition at work, the first time we've done it. I'll be experimenting with some rib recipes this weekend. I love my current recipe but haven't tried anything new in a long time. My sauce has already won best sauce for the pulled pork competition we had so I'll be sticking with that plus I have another homemade rib baste sauce to use.

The first of three I'll be trying is the Famous Dave's recipe. Right now I have half a rack of spare ribs soaking in italian dressing for 4 hours per the recipe. They will next be cleaned and rubbed with black pepper, brown sugar and onion flakes and wrapped for overnight. Tomorrow they will be cleaned off and rubbed with the rub from the recipe and either cooked (depending on time) or wrapped again for overnight.

The second recipe I'll be doing is the one from amazing ribs, "last meal ribs: the best ribs you've ever tasted". A step they mentioned which I have not heard of or tried is to first lightly sprinkle your ribs with kosher salt and wrap for at least two hours, unwrap and apply the rub (memphis dust from their site) then rewrap. I've never done the salt process before so two half slabs are currently wrapped in the fridge with a light sprinkling of salt. One slab will be for this recipe, the other for my tried and true go to recipe. I'll pull them all out at 7 tonight for the next steps. Mine and this recipe will get the rub placed on then for overnight.

It's been a while since I've experimented with other recipes so I'm looking forward to the taste tests  ;D

I'll probably use one small chunk of hickory under the coals.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:10:37 PM by Kona »
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Re: Rib Recipe Testing This Weekend
« on: April 29, 2016, 08:00:52 PM »
Now THAT'S what I am talking about. I do stuff like this all of the time! I even pit my cookers against each other and have guests over to tell me what they like and don't like. Or really, which they like best because they always like it all, lol.

I am looking forward to the results!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline scottv

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 10:01:20 AM »
The more I bbq, the more I learn to keep it simple for my best results

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 11:20:28 AM »

The Famous Dave's is probably the most involved I've ever done but someone on here highly recommended the step with the pepper, brown sugar and onion so figured try the whole recipe. The other two are pretty much basic...dry brine in kosher salt and a rub.

I'll be putting them on today :)
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline grossie

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 11:24:07 AM »
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PBC
Cabela's Ultimate Cookstation
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 12:07:14 PM »
The Smoke loves the Famous Dave's technique but the other ones sound great as well. Famous Dave's rib rub is excellent for this method as well.

Looking forward to your results......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Kona

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 01:23:06 PM »
Here they are, my normal recipe on the left, Famous Dave's in the middle and the Amazing Ribs on the right.

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 01:45:24 PM »
All three look good....might be a close call  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Mpls

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 02:53:40 PM »
Lookin good!!

Offline Kona

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 03:06:23 PM »
Just put them on, using Stubbs and one chunk of apple wood ( I was out of Hickory )

This is the 12 minute mark and hung the meat

The meat is on...

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline scottv

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 04:16:13 PM »

The Famous Dave's is probably the most involved I've ever done but someone on here highly recommended the step with the pepper, brown sugar and onion so figured try the whole recipe. The other two are pretty much basic...dry brine in kosher salt and a rub.

I'll be putting them on today :)
At least you have all 3 going to see if it's worth the extra trouble :)

Offline Kona

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 06:32:31 PM »
and here we go :)

Cooked the ribs for two hours, pulled and sauced and returned for 15 minutes. To me, came out perfect tenderness wise. Had a nice tug from the bone, definitely not fall off which I don't like at all. I will say these were the juiciest ribs I have ever made and also the first time I brined two of them and marinated one, which I'm sure had something to do with that. You can see from the pic the juice in the rib and a nice smoke ring. As far as the tasting, all had great flavor and I LOVE my usual go to ribs but I have to say the amazingribs recipe I liked more. To me they had more of that natural pork rib flavor, it wasn't hidden by a strong rub. It was a nice clean flavor which my sauce went perfectly with. While I did like the Famous Dave's recipe, they were a bit on the salty side for me. There is a bit of salt in the rub...kosher, celery, onion salts. They were marinated in the italian dressing which I don't think added any flavor but they were very juicy as well. If you notice from the pic, (middle rack) Dave's recipe is a little more charred than the other two. These were half racks and not near the coals but there was a lot of sugar in this recipe which I'm sure is the culprit considering the other two didn't char. I put AmazingRibs first, my go to ribs next and Dave's last. Again all were great it comes down to personal taste :) Now for the pics...

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 07:27:06 PM »
Good test and they look good!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 09:27:25 PM »
I think i'm going to have to try all three of these ribs before I could voice an opinion!  :P
Nice job!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 09:32:36 PM »
Great cook and a great test. I have to say I bet I would like all three  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven