Author Topic: Morning Ribs  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Kona

Morning Ribs
« Reply #-1 on: May 06, 2016, 09:51:38 AM »
Sorry I don't have pics but I have a co-worker who always complains I never bring him in leftover ribs so this morning I got up at 5:30 to make him some. I did the "Last Ribs" recipe I tried last week and also used my sauce. I did a dry brine of kosher salt Wednesday night, put the rub on Thursday and fired up the PBC around 5:30 this morning. At 2 hours I pulled and sauced them, pulled and sauced them again at 2:15 and took them off at 2:30. I let them rest for 30 mins before slicing. I put the sliced ribs in a foil pan and brought them to work. Passed a few around the office and people walking behind me when I had the tray in my hand were saying "my god what is that heavenly smell". The guy I brought them in for said "These are the best ribs I have ever had" and he's a huge BGE user. The ribs were juicy as could be, there was even a puddle of juice in the pan. I will ALWAYS dry brine my ribs from now on.  ;D
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Morning Ribs
« on: May 06, 2016, 09:53:45 AM »
A dry surface brine does wonders for steaks too.

Sounds like the ribs were a hit.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Kona

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 10:00:13 AM »
I forgot one of my co-workers took a pic of the tray with a couple ribs missing I'm waiting for the pic :)
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Mpls

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 10:26:17 AM »
So you just put kosher salt on them the day before?  That somehow makes them more moist?

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 10:31:25 AM »
Morning ribs is a great start to a Friday!

Offline Kona

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 10:34:02 AM »
So you just put kosher salt on them the day before?  That somehow makes them more moist?

yup, I read about it on amazing ribs, to dry brine them. This is what the article says...

"Salt does several things to the food. First of all, it amps up the taste because salt is a flavor enhancer. But if you do it properly, it doesn't make the food taste salty.

But something else happens. Salt is made of sodium and chloride ions that carry electrical charges. These ions attack the proteins, causing them to unwind a bit, a process called denaturing. These altered proteins have a greater ability to retain water, so meat that has been treated with salt remains moister through the cooking process."
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Kona

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 10:36:53 AM »
Morning ribs is a great start to a Friday!

The samples I have passed out, people are raving they are the best ribs they have had. It had a nice smoke ring without the use of any wood. I was going to try a small chunk of hickory but 5:30am / half asleep = I forgot lol
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Kona

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 10:38:23 AM »
I did use Stubbs for this cook
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Mpls

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 10:39:11 AM »

yup, I read about it on amazing ribs, to dry brine them. This is what the article says...

"Salt does several things to the food. First of all, it amps up the taste because salt is a flavor enhancer. But if you do it properly, it doesn't make the food taste salty.

But something else happens. Salt is made of sodium and chloride ions that carry electrical charges. These ions attack the proteins, causing them to unwind a bit, a process called denaturing. These altered proteins have a greater ability to retain water, so meat that has been treated with salt remains moister through the cooking process."
Thanks Kona, hopefully I get a chance to try that on some ribs this weekend.

Offline Kona

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »

Thanks Kona, hopefully I get a chance to try that on some ribs this weekend.

Just make sure it's Kosher salt and not regular table salt :)
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Kona

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 11:17:45 AM »
well these are the only pics  :D

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Kona

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 01:28:17 PM »
another co-worker who tried them... "I have to join the club, these are the best ribs I have ever had"  :P
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 02:25:52 PM »
Bet you have some happy co workers right there. I like my ribs off the PBC, but I want to try that recipe. I have it it for awhile.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Kona

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 03:36:19 PM »
Bet you have some happy co workers right there. I like my ribs off the PBC, but I want to try that recipe. I have it it for awhile.

This is the sauce I use as my base, I usually doctor it up for more my tastes from there...

1c Ketchup
    2/3c Brown Sugar
    1/2c Beer
    1/2c Soda
    1/3c Real Maple Syrup or Molasses
    6oz Tomato Paste
    3 tbs Mustard
    3 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
    1 tbs Sea Salt
    1 tbs Dry Mustard
    1 tbs Worcestershire Sauce
    1 tbs Garlic Powder
    1 tbs Onion Powder
    2 tsp Thyme
    1 tsp Black Pepper
    1 tsp Paprika
    1/2 tsp Cayenne
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Pappymn

Morning Ribs
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 05:18:24 PM »

I think you have been hanging out with Tee and Muebe too much :)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109