Author Topic: Lighting PBC  (Read 1351 times)

Offline d-rell

Lighting PBC
« Reply #-1 on: May 07, 2016, 10:16:56 AM »
Is there a noticeable taste difference when lighting the PBC using the lighter fluid method. I haven't used lighter fluid in years, and thinking of trying that method next time out.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Lighting PBC
« on: May 07, 2016, 10:24:01 AM »
Nope. I have lit my PBC that way for the last 4 years. Just give it 20 minutes like Noah shows in the video. You can also light it with great results using the chimney starter method that they also show on the PBC site.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 11:06:49 AM »
The keys are to use enough to make it count(complete coverage), use quality lighter fluid like Kingsford, do not let it soak in(light immediately after applying), and give it the full amount of time to burn off(20 minutes).
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 11:38:19 AM »
I use kingsford odorless and always have. I light mine and wait 12 mins before hanging my meat after talking with Noah. I was having an issue with my coals getting too hot waiting longer and my meat was cooking too fast.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 12:59:27 PM »
Like you I hadn't used lighter fluid in years, so I thought if it was good enough for Noah I would try it. That smell sure brought back memories. I have been doing it for about a year now and me or anyone I have cooked for has seen any difference in taste .
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 12:39:37 PM »
The lighter fluid doesn't really soak into the charcoal. You can use the lighter fluid and light immediately. The lighter fluid should just burn off.