Author Topic: Greetings from Omaha, NE!  (Read 3389 times)

Offline Mr. Michael

Greetings from Omaha, NE!
« Reply #-1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:41:41 PM »
So glad I stumbled upon this forum. I've been grilling on my various gas grills for about 10 years. Started with a 4 burner Brinkmann that I thought was the best thing ever! 3 years later and many pieces had rusted out.
So I stepped up to a Weber Genesis 310. LP powered. Bought it in 2009? It was a model closeout and the last year before they moved the burner controls to the front. VERY happy with this grill. Almost 5 years and it works as flawlessly as the day I unpacked it.

About 3 months ago I decided I wanted to start smoking meat. Found a Kenmore LP smoker on Craigslist and have been quite happy with it as well. Just did a couple of butts over 4th of July and they were fantastic. But I realize I want, no NEED charcoal.

Ordered a Pit Barrel Cooker, and am currently waiting on delivery. Super excited to fire that puppy up, great support here for that particular unit.

And this past Saturday, my dad gave me his older (maybe 8 years old) Weber Kettle. Still in pretty good shape, it's a 22.5 Silver. I've slow cooked a chicken with a few Hickory chips on it. That turned out pretty good for my first try, I'm sure I'll get better with more experimentation.

Grilled burgers on it last night. GAWD, that charcoal flavor makes a good burger! Still gonna keep my Genesis for quick cooks, but this kettle is awesome!

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to say hello, and give a little insight as to what's in (soon to be 8) my arsenal.
Michael
Low and Slow, that's the Tempo!

- The Beastie Boys

Weber Genesis 310
Weber Kettle 22.5
Kenmore propane smoker
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Greetings from Omaha, NE!
« on: July 07, 2014, 04:44:53 PM »
Welcome from Alabama, I believe your gonna like it here..   

After a few weeks I'll start talking you into an SRG    :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:50:17 PM »
Welcome from Minnesota! I have a Weber and a PBC - love them both. Have quit the gas (just my choice) and doing charcoal and wood. Love the flavor. I'm looking forward to reading and seeing your cooks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 04:50:39 PM »
Welcome from North Carolina  ;D\

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Mr. Michael

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 04:52:13 PM »

I don't know what that is. I'm sure I'll find out. However, I doubt I'll be getting anything more soon.
The wife already can't wrap her head around the fact that I will have four "grills". I've tried explaining...falls on deaf ears. I'll have to let the food do the talking.  ;D

- The Beastie Boys

Weber Genesis 310
Weber Kettle 22.5
Kenmore propane smoker
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Pappymn

Greetings from Omaha, NE!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 05:06:19 PM »
Another welcome from Minnesota
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 05:08:46 PM »
Welcome from Alabama, I believe your gonna like it here..   

Yes,thats the truth,got me convinced,just waiting on a sale price,be sure to post when you see one.

Mike,got your grill grates yet? They have some good sales,I got 'seconds' and have no idea what was possibly wrong with them,and saved a pretty penny too.When those sales come up here,jump on on em fast they sell out fast.
Welcome From SoCal Mike,great to have you here,and look forward to your posts and cooks.

PBC will be a fun learning experience,do a chicken first and wife will let you buy anything you want after that,she will think Gordon Ramsey is a punk after you do a chicken. 8)

Im not kidding either,wife was the original....do we NEED that,now when I put in Amazon orders its.....do we need anything for the BBQ? Honest truth.

And dont worry about posting too much,and include pictures or its the wrath of the 'unicorn' razzing if you dont,LOL! ??? :o 8)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:18:35 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 05:43:42 PM »
Here is another NC welcome. 

Be careful with TMB (Tommy).  Not only will he talk you into buying an SRG, he'll even talk you into modifying it like his.  He is only one of a number of "mad scientists" on this site.  Seriously, he can answer any and all questions about SRG's.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline old sarge

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 05:49:13 PM »
Welcome from Arizona!
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline Mr. Michael

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 06:02:48 PM »
Checked out the Big Easy SRG. Upon first reading on Amazon, looking at reviews, etc... It certainly looks like a competent cooker. I tend to be impulsive. Better avoid more research for now... ;)
Thanks for the warm welcome fellas!

- The Beastie Boys

Weber Genesis 310
Weber Kettle 22.5
Kenmore propane smoker
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Mr. Michael

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 06:12:26 PM »
Mike,got your grill grates yet? They have some good sales,I got 'seconds' and have no idea what was possibly wrong with them,and saved a pretty penny too.When those sales come up here,jump on on em fast they sell out fast.

I've seen the Grill Grates, and really considered getting a set for a while. Obviously, I didn't. Whenever my Weber grates give out (do they ever?) I'm going to get a set. Is the cooking experience all that much different/better? Do they sit on top of existing grates, or replace them?
Really liking this forum...

- The Beastie Boys

Weber Genesis 310
Weber Kettle 22.5
Kenmore propane smoker
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 06:18:30 PM »
Got a whole section on em,and yes they are pretty cool accesories.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?board=76.0

LTBBQ can keep you in front of your computer forever.....youve been warned,LOL!! ;D ;D ;D
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 06:40:02 PM »
Greetings from North Texas.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »
Greetings from Las Vegas.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »
I've seen the Grill Grates, and really considered getting a set for a while. Obviously, I didn't. Whenever my Weber grates give out (do they ever?) I'm going to get a set. Is the cooking experience all that much different/better? Do they sit on top of existing grates, or replace them?
Really liking this forum...

They are much better than any grates on any grill, they are worth the investment and I wouldn't wait until stock grates give out you'd be missing out on a whole new world of grilling with GrillGrates.  They can be set on top of existing grates, that's how I use mine, or you can get a custom cut set to fit your grill and replace the stock grate with them.  Either way they work great and you won't be disappointed.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)