Author Topic: Need some advice on Charcoal/Wood Grills  (Read 3528 times)

Offline Curtislowe

• WOW Fan
Re: Need some advice on Charcoal/Wood Grills
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 08:26:38 PM »
I love the webber 22!
PBC
SMOKIN-IT # 1
PK 360
GRILL GRATES
DorkFood DSV
Savor Spices

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
Re: Need some advice on Charcoal/Wood Grills
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 02:11:24 PM »
I wouldn't spend the $$$ for a new 22" Weber kettle, as I see plenty of them on Craigslist for anywhere from $15~$100 depending on the model. A quick check to make sure rust hasn't set in around the leg sockets, which is usually rare unless you run across a very old one, and a good scrubbing with Simple Green and Easy-Off oven cleaner and I can have one looking like brand new for less than even the price of an Old Smokey. Even if you have to replace both grates inside, they still are a bargain. I have rehabbed 4 or 5 of them now for friends & family, and the worst one I had to replace a cooking grate for around $15. Including the cost of the grill, my nephew was out a total of $40 for a grill which should last many years.

I like Weber better because they are built from powder coated steel, which is mostly impervious to rust as long as you keep them clean. I also can shut down the vents & have charcoal for the next cook. Add a rotisserie ring and you have the Swiss Army knife of charcoal grills.

As a bonus, they have wheels and that makes them easier to move.   8)
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen