Author Topic: ownCloud free offsite cloud storage if you already have a hosted site  (Read 685 times)

Offline pz

ownCloud free offsite cloud storage if you already have a hosted site
« Reply #-1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:18:25 PM »
A short while ago I installed open source software called ownCloud which is essentially another form of personal cloud storage, but on your hosting service.  The software is free, and is a snap to install.  Also available for free are desktop, Apple, and Android apps to keep your data synched.  I just tested it with my Samsung tablet - took a movie and a photo, and a few moments later, it appeared in my ownCloud folder.  Cool thing is that anything that appears in my ownCloud from my phone or tablet, is automatically synched to my desktop or any drive/folder I specify.

Now I can backup my home data offsite onto my personal ownCloud and not need to worry about any kind of data loss

Downside is that you have to have a hosting service somewhere (unlimited everything is best), but if you already host web site(s), then this is a freeware addon to give you even more functionality

Offline Pappymn

Cool. I don't have a hosting service, so I'm out of luck. Curious, does this solution do this automatically or based on user direction?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline pz

Cool. I don't have a hosting service, so I'm out of luck. Curious, does this solution do this automatically or based on user direction?

Not sure exactly what you mean by user direction, but I'll take a stab at reporting what I've played with so far.
  • If on your computer, simply drop files into the ownCloud folder in your documents area and the files will synch with ownCloud.  When you delete those files out of your ownCloud folder, they are removed from the cloud
  • If you take pics on your phone or tablet, the pics will automatically synch to the Pictures folder in ownCloud, and from there, automatically appear on your desktop's ownCloud folder
  • You can manually upload or download anything from any device you have, from anywhere since the data is on the internet in your cloud

So far, it looks like once you set it up, everything is automated from that point on.  It even looks like you can extend the storage to include Google Drive

One thing you might be able to do if you have an old PC laying around is to convert it into a NAS device (Network Attached Storage).  It is an operating system that will replace whatever you have on that PC, and then convert it's drives into data storage, media streaming, etc.  Essentially, you would be converting a unused PC into a WDCloud-like device  The software is called FreeNAS

Offline Pappymn

ownCloud free offsite cloud storage if you already have a hosted site
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:50:23 PM »
Thanks for the update. I just meant that I don't have to do anything to initiate the backup. It runs all the time in the back ground. Good for a forgetful person like me.

I love where pricing is going in backup storage. I use Google Drive too. Nice product!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline pz

Thanks for the update. I just meant that I don't have to do anything to initiate the backup. It runs all the time in the back ground. Good for a forgetful person like me.

I now see - you'll have to forgive me because I'm a bit dense at times!

Interestingly, if you set the desktop client to use your My Documents folder, then anything you ever do on your computer will automatically be backed up.  Essentially the ownCloud will mirror exactly what you have on your desktop without you having to do anything at all.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Use a really good password with these. I am seeing lots of discussion about them being easy targets if not protected properly.
 Their ease of use and  sharing are great!
I took pictures with Kerry's camera tonight just because it downloads so easy! We are seeing so many things I remember hearing would come to be years ago.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"