Author Topic: RED Control Knobs  (Read 748 times)

Offline RAD

RED Control Knobs
« Reply #-1 on: August 06, 2014, 05:45:24 PM »
My RED’s control knobs don’t stop on the “off” and go way past the stop point. I’m not able to regulate the heat anymore and it has become a real pain to start. Is there anything I can do besides replacing the Hose Valve and Regulator, part number 80016129, at ~$80? Or is this really the issue? My RED’s Model # 463250108
Love to cook and eat

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: RED Control Knobs
« on: August 06, 2014, 05:57:55 PM »
I am trying to picture your problem.

Are you saying that when the knobs are in the off position the burners are still on? Or just that knobs turn a full 360 and that makes it difficult to find the off position?

I know that the bezels have little metal tabs that stick up to keep the knob from rotating too far. The natural gas conversion kit comes with replacement bezels that change the positions of the knobs to compensate for pressure differences.

It is possible that the tabs may have bent down or are broken. Also if the knobs are not seated completely the tabs will not stop the knobs causing them to rotate completely.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RAD

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 06:04:44 PM »
I am trying to picture your problem.

Are you saying that when the knobs are in the off position the burners are still on? Or just that knobs turn a full 360 and that makes it difficult to find the off position?

I know that the bezels have little metal tabs that stick up to keep the knob from rotating too far. The natural gas conversion kit comes with replacement bezels that change the positions of the knobs to compensate for pressure differences.

It is possible that the tabs may have bent down or are broken. Also if the knobs are not seated completely the tabs will not stop the knobs causing them to rotate completely.
Might be the tabs. I will take it apart and take a look. I know, pretty sure, the knobs are seated completely. They don't turn a full 360 but one will go 90ish degrees past off and another ~15. The one that goes further I can't tell when it is off and I think that is causing the lighting issue. If it is open and I turn the tank on it will cause gas to flow which is bad for getting a good seal to light. 
Love to cook and eat

Offline RAD

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »
OK, took it apart today and man it's hot today :'(,  checked everything. All looks good. No broken tabs, no line issues, no problems under the hood at all ???. Put it back together and looked on the inside of the knobs. Guess what? that is where my issue is :-[ they are worn. Ran out to HD to see if they had universal knobs and they did, fits MOST models, not the RED :(. Return, and go to Lows and they have CB universal knobs, not pretty but they work.

Moral of the story, check the power cord before tearing apart the computer.  ::)
Love to cook and eat