Author Topic: stumps smokers?  (Read 1443 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
stumps smokers?
« Reply #-1 on: June 27, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »
i was wondering if anyone has experience w/ stumps smokers.  i was reading about gravity feed smokers.  they are suppose to hold a temp of 250 for 12 hours.  lump.  how cool it that.  it is strictly a smoker not a grill at all.  any input would be great.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:19:12 PM by sparky1 »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: stumps smokers?
« on: June 27, 2012, 02:33:45 PM »
also check out Spicewine and Pitmaker and Backwoods..they make the cabinet style charcoal smokers as well.

But remember...."Stumps don't build Junk"

are these smokers gravity feed ones?  i will google each one.  thanks for the input. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 03:28:13 PM »
Sparky I was just down in Texas and we fired up his Viking (Made by Stumps) ran all night and did a whole brisket cook on 1/3-1/2 bag of regular charcoal. It is a dry cabinet cooker unlike the backwoods which use a water pan. We did use chunks of wood in it but they had to be cut down to about charcoal size so the would feed into the burn/ash pan. I really liked the way it cooked. Not a big smoke ring producer but that is just for show. The taste was perfect.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »
I see a lot of them in this region at competitions... But we also see a lot of other cookers...I like the addition of the water pan - for the enhanced smoke ring ( colo /presentation points...) but you may be able to add a water pan to the Stumps or other similar units...
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 01:50:53 PM »
Sparky, a buddy of mine has a Stump smoker and loves it.  I went camping a  few weeks back and looked it over.  Looks well built and seems to hold the temp nicely.   

Now he soaks his wood (shameful I know) but it had a very fine blue smoke and stayed right at the 235 mark for the entire 6 hr cook/smoke.

He ask me what I used for wood in my BEESR and SRG's for comps I told him Traeger pellets.  He asked if he could have a handful so I gave him 3 cup fulls.  Now he DIDN'T listen to what I told him to do with them, he tossed 3 cups into the fire and OMG the smoke was unbelievable we thought he cought the camper on fire.     
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION