Author Topic: An appreciative forum member  (Read 2810 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
An appreciative forum member
« Reply #-1 on: July 06, 2012, 12:01:51 AM »
I just want to say how much I appreciate this forum. Every other forum I belong to seems to have some type of agenda to control it's members somewhat. They either have a manufacturer to answer to or only tolerate one specific type of cooker.

But not in this forum.

As more of these other forums start to tighten their grip they will find their way here ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: An appreciative forum member
« on: July 06, 2012, 08:07:19 AM »
That is a MUCH appreciated comment muebe. I know that when we started recruiting new members, I would try to emphasize the "how" LTBBQ would be different - but, sometimes one just has to experience it.

So, it is really up to us a members to continue finding new members that are the kind of folks that you would like to hang out with at a back-yard BBQ.

NO hidden agendas, and no "superiority complex" or bias for or against any equipment. NO manufacturer control here.

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
An appreciative forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 08:32:51 AM »
:) Nuff said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 08:35:37 AM »
There have been some past happenings and some very recent ones that touched a nerve with me. I understand if you have new members come into a product based forum and immidiately start spewing about a competing product or in a way that is obvious advertising that it won't be tolerated but when you have a solid forum member with a good history of using the forum product showing a new thing to use in conjunction with the forum product.... They get a warning. And then comes talk of closing the forum :(

Another forum I was told by the administrator there were too many postings being made in the (non-forum product) category that there was talk of closing that category. This happened over a year ago. They never actually did close the category... But I was notified.

I don't want to be a Lemming. When I have had problems with any of the products I posted them. And I posted constructive solutions and have convinced others to buy their products increasing sales. The continuing control over these forums will start to drive people away.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 08:56:13 AM »
Well said my High Desert Brotha!! Sometimes ya gotta talk about the good and the bad of a product. Forums are a great way to find out about new rigs, rubs...all kind of goodies and sometimes we purchase stuff based on what our fellow forum members say. I used to be on some forums where the administrator would just constantly criticize every cook,every technique, it didn't matter. Other forums they let their "resident experts" run amok and darn near "bully" all their members....that is when I get out of Dodge...........

LTBBQ has a nice free feeling to it and you know you can just let your hair down and have some fun!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 11:59:24 AM »
1) I would try to emphasize the "how" LTBBQ would be different - but, sometimes one just has to experience it.

2) members that are the kind of folks that you would like to hang out with at a back-yard BBQ.

3) no "superiority complex" or bias for or against any equipment. NO manufacturer control here.

i completely agree.  its it a very different forum.  very cool ppl here.  i like that we are all over the country.  the difference in styles and spices that we use depending on where you live.  i have tried so many different spices because ya'll are using them (like living the 70's all over again).  the ppl east of me (almost everybody) are great cooks.  i would have never thought of getting a beesr or a stumps if i hadn't meet ya'll.

thats the part i love the best.  my own ppl. 

wait a second.   i know i'm not superior but i do have some complexes (i smoke stuff, drink FT and whiskey, i smoke stuff (not the same as the first but you get the idea  :-X).

its a great place to hang out.  ya done good T.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline MossyMO

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 12:19:32 PM »
This is only one of two cooking forums I belong to that supports the 1st Amendment; Freedom of Speech. Every other cooking forum the administration censor's what you can and can not say.

I have only been here a short while, but I very much appreciate being able to read others unbiased thoughts on products and like the fact any member can freely talk about there own.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 12:40:09 PM »
now if we could only teach 10.5 to cook a decent rib all would be right w/ the world.   :D

like this 10.5   8)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 12:43:48 PM by sparky1 »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 12:43:55 PM »
I am thankful that we have the highest quality participants of any forum on the internet. I can say that with a straight face - because we never have any "brush-fires" to deal with here. But...there is a reason we don't more on that later.... ;)

My intent here is *not* to show up, or be-rate any other forum. I want all of us to remember that we makes choices to participate, or not in everywhere on the 'net. And - it is how we choose to respond to the "stimulus" that we sometimes want to react with emotion that often ( or always :D ) determines the direction of a thread....

Because LTBBQ is not owned by a company manufacturing cooking equipment, we do not have a vested interest in pushing a product. And, tho I make and sell spice blends and rubs, I have made sure that everyone knows that the site is user driven. That means that it is completely fine to "show and tell" about other products you like and use. I encourage it. Even made sure that a couple of companies were invited to use the site as well. So - we really do an an easier mission here than some of the other popular forums out there. But we also have some freedoms that they do not have, just because of the nature of the purely user driven aspect of LTBBQ.

And while we will always be friendly toward all other forums, and open to manufacturers that may eventually want to advertise here- we will not tolerate - ever - any manufacturer even as a paid advertiser to wade into a discussion on a thread and offer opinion about someone else's product other than positive or complimentary. It is just not appropriate.

Manners, class and etiquette can co-exist in a free to be honest environment. And, I want to encourage honest evaluations of products by all the memberships. I think all of you are doing a great job with that! And - we still tease and have a great time with one another, just like we have been doing.

If ever you question how a potential comment or response will be taken....just refer to our motto in the extreme upper right any page here on LTBBQ. ;)
I just grateful to have all of you using this forum, and - I look forward to growing it into a bigger place - with more features as YOU guys determine you want and need.
And - I think you know this...but I am always available for suggestions, input, even criticism if you see something that needs correcting/fixing.

You folks are the best-

T
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 03:00:44 PM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 01:15:43 PM »
Thanks for the forum Mr T Squared.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 03:01:50 PM »
Thanks to YOU Ken! ...aand BTW - thanks for noticing...I fixed my signature...my previous post had tee tee on it :D ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 03:10:31 PM »
Thanks to YOU Ken! ...aand BTW - thanks for noticing...I fixed my signature...my previous post had tee tee on it :D ;D

At my advanced age, I often get tee tee on things. Ticks the wife off too.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »
I agree, this forum lets everone be who they are .  Even though Tee met in Sept 2011 he still lets me come play  :D :D :D.

Really, I don't feel like I have to hold back here like I do on other sites because I don't want to step on toes, but Tee did get the forum right the first time........  ;)   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 07:53:42 PM »
I didn't really have a dog in that fight but to be fair, I think the argument that started all of it (on another forum) was essentially a series of misinterpretations of what people thought someone said.  Realizing that the forum sponsors are running a business, I can understand their reticence to encourage what seemed to be a developing trend of proselytizing for the competition.  That wasn't the case, but it appeared to some to be in danger of going that way.  In any event, I think they handled it well and still encourage participation from a wide range of members with a wide range of experience and equipment.

But it's still nice to be here (even if you let Tommy and some of them other fools in the sandbox).  And I would really like it if that "New Post" button worked more consistently).

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 07:55:34 PM by Ka Honu »
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 08:20:46 PM »
I'm just glad all you pellet heads don't look down on all my cheap-ass cookers I've been given or gotten off Craig's List & refurbed
What I don't have in quality I make up in quantity  ::)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp